Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, the latter is badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the japanese cook things besides whales.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

holy heck, wish i could come up with material this fresh

maybe he just wants us to have one joke that everyone is allowed to make, and if you make any other jokes you get arrested

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darkgray posted:

Er, the visuals for this new fall TV anime look like some kind of April Fool's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKzNx2uy2c

Is this what happens when Netflix money gets involved?

uh, what?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wish upon the pleiades is an awesome show and ill make all of you fuckers watch it one day

the characters are likable and the animation is pretty good and i really like the character designs, plus it has a cute romance and a sweet message. it's just a really solid magical girl show and it never really feels weird like some other late night magical girl anime or like its trying too hard to be edgy, its actually really sincere and theres not any shock value gore or anything

people bitched about it and wrote it off 'cause of the car advertisement thing but all that really means is all the cars in the show are subarus and the main girl is named, subaru, and also there are some car noises when the girls transform. its a lot less intrusive than something like code geass where the plot would stop for minutes at a time so cc could say how good pizza hut was

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if i had a complaint it'd be that since it's a 13 episode anime with a 5 girl main team and a core romance with a sixth character a couple of the 'main' girls dont get much focus but that's fine imo, they function fine as supporting characters.

as far as sendoffs for gainax go, a really good, really colorful magical girl show with a nice romance seems kind of appropriate, evangelion aside.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kevin Penkin's done music for otome games, a few obscure RPGs, and is kind of a protege of nobou uematsu (they've worked together like six times and he made his debut entering his work into contests ran by uematsu). Think this is his first time composing for an anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm honestly not sure if I've ever found a show as viscerally repulsive as this one.
haikyuu :bustem:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/LossThief/status/884188592448430084

im glad anime streaming has become just successful enough to become terrible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

I looked this up expecting to see something from the mid-00s, but it aired last year?! I'm sensing red flags here...
gyaruko is a cool manga that is pretty frank about sex and periods and stuff in a way that is really refreshing, especially for an anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Eh, maybe this show isn't for me because my eyes practically rolled out of my head watching the first episode.
this is the lamest catchphrase that explains literally nothing about why you didn't like a show other than 'i decided not to like it'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

since when does kids having imaginary friends make them schizophrenic
maybe there's just one imaginary friend that we all have and if you have any other imaginary friends you're schizophrenic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

have you tried index, flaps

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

thats using a haymaker to Protect Women. win-win

using a haymaker on women to protect women. two sides of the same coin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nielsm posted:

I need to get started on the new Symphogear soon.

its good. mostly fighting so far but the latest episode had some fun gags.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

You know, I would actually be fine with this scene if Hibiki had just ducked under the shell and then kicked/punched it into the air, but as-is this is really loving dumb. She blocks a contact detonation shell by... pressing on the shell cap. Yeah no, that just causes the shell to explode early.

Let alone somehow getting snuck up on by a Sturmtiger.

and furthermore punching the moon wouldnt have fixed its orbit at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

My backlog is too crazy to get on board right now, but out of curiosity is this a sequential series where I have to start from the first Symphogear, or are they PreCure-ish standalones?
You have to start with the first but each season is only 13 eps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like how New Game!! is getting a bit more into drama and character arcs and stuff. I mean it's still New Game but it's nice to have these fairly likable characters given a bit of dramatic weight, even if it's just little misunderstandings or confidence issues that get resolved by episode's end.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Cinderella Girls has some good im@ses, but they're diluted by the size of the cast.

on the flipside cinderella girls has characters with actual development that isn't spurred on by the producer glancing in their direction

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

miku's arc from lovely whiny cat to the only sane person in the cast is amazing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chumbler posted:

How many im@ses have crushes on the producer, and is that okay?

all of the og idolmasters, none of the cinderella girls

well maybe kanako

but yeah the producer in cg is just a character with an actual arc and not the self-insert like he was in the 2011 anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

Wasn't this already the show? I definitely remember there being a girl who had no particular characteristics other than being the big one that isn't Kirari.
there was no one anywhere near as tall as kirari

you might mean kanako, who was chubby, not tall, but kanako didn't exactly get much focus. she had like. an episode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the lwa subs had a couple of mistranslations

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kater posted:

Every time I see the name Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor I think of Captain Ron. Is it a Captain Ron anime?
it's a sci-fi anime about a bumbling idiot who manages to luck his way into captaining a starship and then has to make poo poo up to try and win a war

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

aquarion evol was the best mecha anime ever made because the commander guy went THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUTH IN THIS WORLD or whatever in the last episode and then the title card showed up and the evol flipped around to be LOVE and this was an actual twist in the show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I haven't watched any Aquarion but I always love how the crazy commander person from the first series always lectures people in SRW games while they desperately try to figure out what the gently caress he's on about
good news he's in evol too

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/kinonotabianime/status/894392942122516480

kino no tabi confirmed for october.

i could see them covering kino's backstory and doing the arena chapter again since those introduces characters and stuff, but there's characters who weren't in the first anime so it should mostly be new material. yanagi nagi is doing both the op and ed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is this a season 2? A remake?
new series. definitely not a remake. might reuse the arena story + kino's origin story but everything else should be new. the promo pics show the two other protagonist characters that the novels sometimes follow (shizu, that guy with the dog from the arena two-parter, and kino's mentor, shishou) so presumably we'll get adaptations of some of their stories, which would obviously be new material.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/896825307679776768

crunchy got kino

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

crunchyroll has issues but of the big streaming platforms they're the only one that isnt completely hosed in some way, and theyve actually helped the industry a lot since japan needs that foreign revenue these days and crunchy is a way for them to get foreign revenue outside of overpriced dvd releases

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

digibro is a dumbass

personally, i get all my anime opinions from a brony who thinks cinderella girls and sword art online are the exact same show

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna say the discourse digibro leads to is anything but interesting or insightful and in fact does very little to educate people on anything about the industry or studios or the actual problems with how creators are paid

i watched his old video about pacing in anime and while i totally disagreed with what he said about kekkai sensen it wasn't a bad video but it sounds like more recently he's gotten really lovely and basically all i ever hear from people in relation to his videos is complete poo poo
all digibro does is let morons parrot his dumb opinions

and he doesn't know his poo poo at all, he has zero idea about how studios work or what actually makes a show tick, all his analysis is insanely surface level

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

ikuhara is making a new anime
why god why

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

love live sunshine was a good show, i hope s2 is as good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That first post is pretty compelling, and the second one raises a couple confirmation questions.

Cinderella Girls and Sunshine over the originals is a troubling recommendation to accept for someone who insists on watching/playing series' from the beginning, but I am not immovable. Are the sequels/spinoff (I don't know a thing about idolmasters) completely disconnected from the original shows?
cinderella girls is completely disconnected from the original idolmaster, there is literally no connection beyond the title. sunshine makes references to the original show but only in a 'these were popular idols a few years ago' way, though theme-wise i think it does kind of benefit from having watched the original since it's a meta-thing about sequels.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i too get extremely uncomfortable when a piece of fiction doesn't blatantly signpost its morals and themes, and expects me to decide how to feel about them for myself. i get all itchy on my skin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

I mean, even beyond the weird police state thing, we're talking about a show which spent a fifteen-minute segment talking about how a lady centaur can't see her own vagina. where mermaids start right below the pelvis (for SEX REASONS). where nearly every episode seems to have some part where the comedy drops out completely so a teenaged girl can browbeat her own dad for not being an effective provider.

It's weird and uncomfortable for reasons beyond being just being hard to read.
those are all fair complaints but that guy didn't mention those and was just talking about fiction generally, in a really dumb way. i dont care about centaur's life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i doubt he even actually intentionally drew it to look like a dick he just joked about it while drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

esselfortium posted:

I'm late on this, but:

OG Idolmaster is really really good. The cast of characters are endearing and well-developed, it sells its underdog story extremely well, the animation is fantastic, and it's full of really fun episodes that span all sorts of side stories and concepts.

I'm midway through Cinderella Girls and it's been really weak in comparison. A lot of characters have thus far just been a single trait that they get one or two obligatory lines per episode to clumsily remind you about, and the one slightly "heavier" girl is just eating in every scene. Plus, I'm still kind of skeeved out by the first episode's whole thing where the gruff creepy producer basically stalks Rin while she repeatedly tells him she doesn't want to become an idol. I've heard the second half gets better, but it's definitely been a worse show than the original so far.
the producer, uh, isn't creepy, and he doesn't really stalk rin he just talks to her a couple of times. and the animation in cinderella girls is fantastic too. and og idolmaster sacrificed every single character's personality at the altar of making them want to gently caress the really boring producer. and also the only characters to really get any development were miki, chihaya, and haruka. and the resolution to chihaya's arc was awful.

meanwhile the main three in cinderella girls are really well developed, anzu and kirari get a decent amount to do, and miku is actually like, the most complicated character in the show and starts out as a lovely cat girl and ends up the only sane character which is a really fun arc.

and, uh, kanako actually is drawn chubbier than the other girls which is nice. and literally her entire bit is that it's fine for her to be the way she is and she doesn't have to worry about losing weight or anything. that's the thing the show explicitly says.

and seriously how are you not creeped out by makoto being a 'tomboy' who secretly wants to be super girly and date an adult man. endearing and well-developed.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2017

• Locked thread