Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wark Say posted:

That's for me to know and for you to grow indifferent to, Squarkster. ;)

I find Saber boring and Nasu's huge boner for gender-swapped King Arthur perplexes me. I don't know enough about the different NOT-Saber versions across all Fate/Minutiae nonsense to make statements about them, but I'm thinking that they're all as interesting as wet blankets. Also, why does Type-Moon continues to evoke the upstanding King Arthur, instead of the superior Graham Chapman-flavored one?

Nero is an OK character even though she has no justification for looking so similar to Arturia or even being female. Male Arthur from Prototype is a boring Mary Sue. Jeanne and Mordred are actually interesting characters, although Jeanne is fairly similar to Arturia in terms of general personality. I haven't read enough of Strange Fake to know what Richard is like. The others are basically throwaway jokes as far as I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

But the anime I've heard most often described as trainwrecks are Code Geass and Symphogear

I think a lot of the idea that Code Geass is a train wreck is just people mindlessly repeating the memetic circle jerk from 4chan or wherever back when R2 was airing. With stuff like Symphogear it's just a way of pretending that you don't like it unironically. With gross stuff like Cross Ange it's often a way of pretending you don't fap to it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wouldn't call Code Geass a "fun mess" I'd call it a fun good anime. It kinda stumbles a bit at the beginning of the second season, but that doesn't make it bad or a mess. I don't even think Code Geass has "defenders" I think it has fans

I actually think the beginning of R2 is fine. It's some of the plotlines near the end that I'm not such a big fan of. The metaphysical stuff involving C's world and the Emperor's plan is nonsensical, and the FLEIJA storyline features one of my least favorite tropes: Millions of people die and only a few characters seem to care much. Suzaku and Nina feel guilty about their role in causing it, Lelouch is initially upset because he thinks Nunnally is dead, and nobody else appears to give a poo poo. There was a similar thing in Star Trek (2009), where Spock is "emotionally compromised" because his home planet and millions if not billions of people on it were blown up, Uhara is upset because Spock is upset, Bones is upset because he thinks Spock isn't upset enough, and everyone else is apparently unaffected. I suppose it all goes back to A New Hope, which is a pity because I otherwise like that movie.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it's maybe not going to be on anyone's top 5's this year

Seems like a good candidate for "most avoided," though.

I just took a look at the ANN reviews. It managed to skeeve out even Theron!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm still watching Centaur's Life/Worries, but I must say, the tone feels off sometimes. A lot of things seem vaguely ominous in I way I don't remember them being in the manga, to the point where I wonder about the anime director's political views.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I miss the cynical humor of early Wake Up Girls, before it turned into a generic underdog sports story. It would be nice if the new season recaptures that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think Centaur's Worries is supposed to have a consistent theme. It's an examination of the lives of the characters, with enough world-building to help you understand them and the world they live in. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's serious.

That was basically my impression of the manga, but the anime's tonal shifts do feel weird sometimes. One of the ANN reviewers suggested that part of the tonal weirdness is due to putting two standalone chapters in a single episode, but the anime's music, pacing, etc. don't always help either. There's a couple times when Sassasul comes across as menacing where the manga makes her seem more cute, for example.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I think it's a mistake to assume it's taking a stance on political correctness. I believe instead, that it's the author's extrapolation of how Japanese society would evolve around a wildly heterogeneous population as opposed to the homogeous one that exists in real life. You could still draw conclusions about the author's beliefs with that in mind--i.e., that maintaining a harmonious society would require a soft-authoritarian police state--but it doesn't directly map to US politics.

Broadly speaking, it does carry a message about living under such a regime, however. If you're expecting Himeno and friends to have an awakening at some point & rebel against an oppressive system (cf. 90% of YA lit) you're missing the point. Why would they? Why should they? They're ordinary teenagers, and they've lived their entire ordinary teenage lives under these rules. It's a rather pessimistic (or cynical, if you prefer) take on things when you stop to consider it, but it's hardly unrealistic.

Like, I wouldn't blame anyone who gets turned off by the frankly jarring tonal shifts but it's one of the reasons I enjoy the show.

That was basically my interpretation too, although I only read the first few chapters of the manga; maybe it goes in a different direction later.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

i learned official stats were fake like a decade ago when i looked up akiha from tsukihime and found out she was supposed to be like 80 pounds wtf

99 pounds, actually. :goonsay:

Edit: I decided to look up the other Type-Moon characters and discovered that Hisui, Kohaku, and Saber all weigh slightly less than Akiha. I suppose Avalon kept Arturia from gaining weight...

On the other hand, Arcueid and Ciel weigh 115 pounds each (still lighter than I'd expect for Arc), and Bazett 128.

Caren somehow weighs only 88 pounds.

Moving on to the male characters, Shirou weighs the same as Bazett, Shiki weighs 126 lbs, and Waver 110 (150 by the time of Stay Night).

Iskander, who is nearly 7 feet tall, weighs 287 pounds.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 23, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

It definitely wasn't Nana's Everyday Life, that was based on Elfen Leid and part of the point was that Nana couldn't regenerate her arms.

Maybe it was Mai-chan's Daily Life? It's pretty notorious. (I haven't read it and don't recommend that you read it either.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, the lead couple involves Girl A abusing and emotionally manipulating GIrl B, so Bad Yuri.

I don't remember it being quite like that, but the plot consisted almost entirely of silly soap opera tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

That sounds an awful lot like the LN author thinking he's being clever by having his MC be savvy about the whole Gundamjack thing, and deliberately introduce it as a plot point so he can show this cleverness, while completely missing that there's a good reason, a VERY good reason, that actual military hardware like tanks and aircraft don't, in fact, have keys or the like.

What's the reason?

• Locked thread