Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

I like how almost everything in the list is going to be available either in CR, Funi or Amazon.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
All that Teekyuu backlog, what a tall order.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Isn't that worse than being Offensively Bad? I mean, a show being awful and people making GBS threads on it is basically a career as a "Professional YouTuber" nowadays. When a show is loving dull, they're usually not worth mentioning.

The difference between dull and offensively bad is like Black Butler season 1 and season 2, and I wish I could actively forget the latter.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

I recall reading somewhere that what apparently got Daisuke Ono his chance to audition to be re-cast as Jotaro (everyone aside from Koyasu had to be recast for the Stardust Crusaders anime coming from the All-Star Battle game) was a really good performance in a really lovely show. Every time I remember, I wonder if it was because of Black Butler and I snicker a little.

It was the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi actually. :twisted:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

i want too, i've heard it's good and chill but i'm just lazy as hell

It's episodic so you could take it as slow as you want to. But if you want something really standalone, watch Hotarubi no Mori e. It's a short 44 minute movie by the same mangaka, and it's got a very similar feel to Natsume even it's totally unrelated.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Space Flower posted:

does doga kobo's power level rise inversely to the number of boys in their shows

Absolutely.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Especially if said boys also count as girls (see Mikoshiba)

:thunk:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Freakazoid_ posted:

In this part of japan, we all have a saying: Whenever something bad happens, we just throw our hands into the sky, and say "Hasa Diga Isekai"

Lol

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

HellCopter posted:

Are there any Isekai where the protagonist really, really doesn't care about this fantasy garbage and just wants the fastest ticket out?

e: Not counting Sword Art Online or any other show where something is actively trying to kill them.

Joe in Digimon Adventure. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

HellCopter posted:

Looking at their Wikipedia page, that might be due to lack of material more than anything else.

I'm gonna be upset if they cut out the freaky stuff though.

Don't think you need to worry about that part.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

littleorv posted:

Shinpachi.....

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
How do you know what whale tastes like

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

I wanted to dislike Clean Freak just because the concept is tooooooooooooooo much. But the show is so good it even acknowledged that by the end. Also abs man and the generic lead were great.

Abs man and butt boy need to be stopped.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Every season is going to be weak because there's always one that won't cater to someone's interests.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

my friend this may be the wrong kind of show for you

lmao

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

kater posted:

wait, is ballroom a tournament show?

How would you do non-tournament sports

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hope they can get better subs tho

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

So far only one show has delivered on boys kissing
Hitorijime My Hero

I'm shaking my head.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

This will somehow be a fakeout and then squark will get very upset. I'm very excited!

Why does Allarion bully me like this.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Youkai Apartment is like one part wacky kinda eh SOL antics, one part complaining about kids these days, and one part horrible poo poo happening to people who sometimes deserve it. The tone flips all over the place to accommodate this, so the whole thing feels patchworky at best.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

I agree.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
wow i can't believe it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Parallax posted:

one thing that kinda concerns me with netflix/amazon is the lack of physical releases, where there's the potential of a license being lost and no legal recourse for people to obtain a series

But a lot of the Crunchyroll catalog never get physical releases either.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

psyer posted:

From what I hear, Netflix is probably the only company that supposedly pay their translators a fair wages. Crunchyroll and others are really really low.

You can take the Netflix translation test here.
https://tests.hermes.nflx.io/

quote:

Phase 4 (15 minute limit): This phase shifts away from translation and instead focuses on the technical aspects of subtitling. It consists of 10 video clips with a corresponding question for each clip. These questions will test your knowledge of timing, punctuation, line breaks, etc. If you are having trouble viewing the video in this section, please close out your browser to stop the timer and then review our FAQ for help troubleshooting.

Man, do the translators have to do everything themselves?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Heterochromia never works.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
An all time low on a test which only has a pass or fail outcome.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyra_Solune posted:

it was a joke to emphasize that she really does not do anything except fawn over our hero incessantly

Tell better jokes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

nielsm posted:

This week on the Least Effort Animation anime Nora & Princess & Stray Cat: Let's not animate anything and just have the voice actors dub over some footage of goats.

:psypop:

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/897888397758418944

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who hasn't read the manga, Ballroom so far has mostly felt like it's meandering, and it's hard to get invested in the dance scenes when they're so filled with still shots.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Love Live, in that it's secretly a sports anime about idols instead of an idol anime.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah it owned

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

i wouldnt use kissanime because i know what a torrent is

This is the only way I can differentiate the Canadians posting in adtrw.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's really annoying how the windows app doesn't even do overflow right. So it won't let you scroll to the bottom of a list of episodes in windowed mode and you have to expand the window vertically to see it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Napping Princess is the best story about self-driving cars I've ever seen. It's playing in US theaters this weekend and you should see it if you get a chance to!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dang Vostok is getting spoiled

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Will I be fooled into trying to watch logh again just because they made everyone incredibly pretty

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you want tragic space gays, you could always just watch Toward the Terra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

poo poo! I meant to go see that last night...

Rename yourself No_Cantaloupe

• Locked thread