Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

The sweetness and lightning soundtrack was bad? I only remember the very good :same: song

none of the other tracks stand out, it's just generic string pieces. i remember thinking a lot of it was played too loud and it came off as overbearingly trying to elicit emotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Stream 2 - Sunday, July 9th 3PM CDT
Tsurezure Children
NTR
Ballroom e Youkoso
Centaur's Worries
Isekai Restuarant
Made in Abyss
Vatican Miracle Examiner
Youkai Apartment
Hitorijime My Hero

happening soon https://cytu.be/r/wanwanime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the necks in Ballroom come from Haikyuu staff+the original manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This show has not aged well, as I discovered trying to watch that show recently. It's too 90s it hurts, and takes away from the emotional impact it tries to create.

I don't really know what's too 90's about it, having just watched it last year. It's not up to snuff of current anime bluray quality but the designs have aged fine outside of that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Combine that with dated characterization and yea, it has aged poorly. The hypocritical pacifist warrior shounen character was explored and exhausted, and I could only roll my eyes at the actions most of the characters took, straightforward and reasonable 20 years ago, but feels really outdated today.

As a counter-example, we have Grave of the Fireflies which despite its dated look has aged well, with brilliant execution with nearly the same impact.

This isn't the first time I've gone back to series to see how it has aged, and imho Now and Then, Here and There falls under the rose-tinted glasses category.

In the breadth of All Media, it's not that notable, but for anime (past and present) it tackles topics that aren't common or well-worn. Doing so with the level of execution it did was enough for me to look on it fondly and be willing to recommend it. :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Ah, yeah. I forget that it was an Isekai. Didn't someone recently post about the author trying to appease a committee to green-light a second season after a Drama CD was made with Ryohta Osaka (Sadao) and Youko Hikasa (Emi) returning to voice their characters? Or did I day-dream that?

the author threw out a public statement that he'd like a second season for the fans, but business is a complicated thing and he's not the only vote that makes that happen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I've read the current scans and will go ahead and cook something up in the next couple hours. Anyone is free to step in with a thread in the meantime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

there's a Made In Abyss thread now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826597

i messed up the thread tag though, please ignore it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tomorrow will wrap up the seasonal streams for this Summer:

Stream at 6:30 PM CST, shows in no particular order
- Princess Principal
- Dive!!
- Mahoujin Guru Guru
- Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor (if subs appear between now and then)
I've also got a couple spot fillers (random first eps of old shows) and might toss one in at the end, so stay tuned to see whether it's 70's shoujo volleyball, 90's music-themed isekai, or a 70's shoujo set 50 years in the past!

Regarding streams for further seasons, I'm retiring this whole deal. It hasn't been a particularly good format given shows often air throughout the week, and it's hard to find a time that works for everyone (turnout has dropped). I also don't feel like it has been an ideal way for me to enjoy the season, though there are some benefits to a community stream that I'll miss. Thanks to everyone who voted in the polls and showed up for the two seasons I managed to make this happen (:rip: Spring 2017).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Wait, this is a remake of "Knight of Kodai"? :swoon:

idk what that is and it's not googleable, but Guru Guru is a revival of the 90's manga of the same name, which had a previous anime adaptation in '94.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gamers are born, not made :cool:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think that makes it bad, just in a different way

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

So far for me (banging tunes in all titles):

Great Tier
Good Tier
Guilty Pleasure Tier

Anything else you goons recommend?

not posting like this

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

words are good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kakegurui is a completely different breed of gambling show than Kaiji. it's more like a detective series where the mc is solving/"solving" rigged games instead of mysteries.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The way you write about it, you make it sound like it's less a Fancy Kaiji and more like a more mundane Nogami Neuro: Supernatural Detective. Which is totally my jam.

even with Kakegurui having a lack of the supernatural, a lot of how Yumeko is presented in the heat of a gamble feels supernatural. her nerves of steel, glowing red eyes, twisted enjoyment of high stakes, etc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Seitokai Yakuindomo has been doing that for a while, and High School Girls did it at least a decade ago.

my impression of SYD is that it's the kind of show that thinks a cucumber being equated to a dick is hilarious, but doesn't go much deeper than that. Galko is refreshing because it's a group of girls talking about puberty and their bodies honestly, where comedy is generated from exaggerations of that and the characters (usually male) having totally incorrect assumptions about those things.

no idea how High School Girls addresses the topics though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

since when does kids having imaginary friends make them schizophrenic

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Wake me up when we see a dude-on-dude kiss as awesome as Viktor x YuriK

they didn't kiss though?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Viktor, bless his beautiful motherfucking heart, jumps at Yuri K and kisses him in the raddest loving way in episode 7.

:thunk:

to be real though, i think pretty much anything would be better than an obscured kiss

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

We didn't see their lips touch so we can only assume they were smiling platonically

i think we can at least say they were smiling gayly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm reading the recent posts and making a really surprised face

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Onean posted:

Huh. I thought otherwise, though apparently I missed something because I don't know what you mean with the already covered content. I loved the pacing in the first episode, and while I enjoyed the second it wasn't as much. There were a couple gags repeated a little too much for me.

it was adapted before in the 90's, and that version had a much slower pace compared to the currently airing one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

welcome to the thread for welcome to the ballroom

the thread about welcome to the ballroom

welcome to the ballroom

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the nichijou manga is over, try campaigning for an anime of the new arawi manga instead

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

The Colors have already destroyed that anime in all possible timelines.

i heard they're very rude, so this is no surprise. a shame, really

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

why watch clips of 90% of the show when you can just watch the show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna say your reaction to Hand Shakers vs 18if depends entirely on how insulting you find actively awful anime vs. mediocre ones, respectively.

e: and considering how ep2 is actually coherent and ep3 is genuinely good and looks great, the comparison completely falls apart anyway

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also it's a bad-looking show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's not okay, because he's mine

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cantaloupe has stepped up to be the villain in the stage show of life, and i will defeat him

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sucks, but they were never competitive in streaming so i don't think this should be too bad

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The episode of Cheer Fruits I watched was very charming, regardless of how the viewer chooses to interpret the main characters' romantic preferences

i really liked the sports flashback stuff in the ep in question, and that's way more of the meat of the ep/their relationship than the kinda throwaway shipping joke towards the end imo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they will never change, and i think I'm finally resigned to that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly it's loving me up how good Boruto is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

once the show gets past salad gaiden, it will be into the movie and then the current manga. that manga is fuckin' awful, to the extent that i doubt the anime can salvage it.

i would hope they just continue their trend of doing anime-original stuff, but who knows

There Bias Two posted:

Is it a good show even if you don't like Naruto and thought it was terrible?

i dunno. i couldn't really figure out how to crystallize my thoughts on it today, but you also don't say what about naruto made you hate it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah but at this point anitwitter has nothing new to say about netflix, while they continue to improve their handling of anime stuff

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fate is two cour so it should end fine

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

What's that image folks are getting hyped over?

Hakumei to Mikochi

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=77749

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

otoh, a modern animation version of the arena stuff would be cool

• Locked thread