Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wark Say posted:

The Mahouka light novels were a game-changer for me: In early 2012, I got a friend in Tokyo to hunt down and send me the first half of the Gundam Unicorn novels because the I was really into the OVA's. In further exchanges through email, Skype, text messages and the like, he started mentioning in our exchanges that there was this Light Novel series that I might be into. That series was Mahouka. At around June-July 2012, I actually got the second package from my friend which included the back half of the Unicorn novels and the first 2 arcs of Mahouka (Volumes 1 through 4).

The reason that I wrote that first sentence about the Mahouka novels being a personal game-changer is that I'm fairly confident that those loving novels broke my brain: For real, the novels were so bad, they made me realize how much time I've had wasted in media that I honestly do not give one flying gently caress about. Like, there's stuff that I'll watch with friends while drinking and such, or the "So bad it's good" / guilty pleasure shlock that I still dig. However,all I needed to do was read this piece of fiction that was so vile, so up-its-own-rear end and just plain lovely, it flipped a switch in my brain that went "Man, this sunk-cost bullshit has got to stop", and it caused me to drop a bunch of long-running things that I knew in the back of my head were no longer among my jams: Among the things I can still half-remember dropping are Bleach, the Index novels, the SAO novels, the Marvel movies, and cheese knows how many other shows, comics and books. I think that I also stopped reading / bookmarking webcomics with the sole exception of Gunnerkrigg Court (which I still follow to this day). I actually started giving away stuff that I've been hoarding. So yeah, the Mahouka novels were so loving bad that they made me reevaluate my life choices in regards to what I use my time to entertain myself with.

[video}https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ny2b0lNRwY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

And the start was a rehash of the first season. It was still really fun.

• Locked thread