Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Julias posted:

Netsuzou TRap
Creators in Pack | Hirasawa, Hisayoshi | ... | Manga | Drama, Shoujo Ai | July 5, 2017
Yuma and Hotaru have been friends since childhood. It is only natural that when Yuma is nervous about her new boyfriend, she asks Hotaru along with her boyfriend for a double date. But when Hotaru offers herself to Yuma as "practice," both girls realize that they're more interested in each other than they are in their own boyfriends.
PV
Is this for real? A manga/anime with what's ostensibly its main hook on the title? Oh well, it does say "Girls Love" as a sub-genre, so I'll be checking the first episode at least.

Kakegurui is truly the safest pick. Also, Toshiya Wakabayashi's 4-koma are super funny, so Tsurezure Children is getting the 3 ep. test automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

no, for some reason Julias has filled this OP with fake anime. like that one, africa salaryman, etc
Hardy har, dogsicle. Well played. :golfclap:

What I meant is that, y'know... it feels weird that a manga of this ilk garnered enough mainstream attention/appeal to get an anime. Especially knowing how... 'vocal' some Japanese otaku can be about the NTR-genre as a whole.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, read the first Volume of the Netsuzou TRap manga. I think I'm ok giving it a pass.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Akira Ishida is the same guy who did the best MaoYuu manga, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Tylor a sequel from the 90's show? Or is it like a Weird spin-off/remake?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She certainly strips, from a point of view.

:iamafag:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like how almost everything in the list is going to be available either in CR, Funi or Amazon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.
That's for me to know and for you to grow indifferent to, Squarkster. ;)

I find Saber boring and Nasu's huge boner for gender-swapped King Arthur perplexes me. I don't know enough about the different NOT-Saber versions across all Fate/Minutiae nonsense to make statements about them, but I'm thinking that they're all as interesting as wet blankets. Also, why does Type-Moon continues to evoke the upstanding King Arthur, instead of the superior Graham Chapman-flavored one?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

you think saber is boring because you never saw the entire arc where she is actually a character who gets focus and development. she's not the best character in f/sn but she's plenty good when she actually gets to have focus, she's not as relevant as a lead in ubw and fate/zero is kind of just a parade of people making GBS threads on her

i dunno anything about the rest of fate so i can't say anything about any of the other sabers
I've actually played/read through FSN fully. Her arc is interesting and hints at a really complex + tragic person. It's just that she, as a character (and everything that entails), still feels super dull, despite said entire arc.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Nodame is way more powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_s1IbRci-4

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you say that there is a limit to how much is enough anime to watch, it's like accepting that AC/DC was the best rock band in the world. I mean, they were cool, for a bunch of geezers, but the fact that you're looking at them like they're the non plus ultra of songs about loving, rock 'n roll itself and... whatever the gently caress Thunderstruck is about, means that you need to reassess your priorities.

e: I am blind. And dumb.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 22, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Thing with Arslan is that it just got moderately dull instead of offensively bad.
Isn't that worse than being Offensively Bad? I mean, a show being awful and people making GBS threads on it is basically a career as a "Professional YouTuber" nowadays. When a show is loving dull, they're usually not worth mentioning.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fairly certain that the only works Yoshiki Tanaka has legit finished with an actual ending that made sense are Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Tytania.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I recall reading somewhere that what apparently got Daisuke Ono his chance to audition to be re-cast as Jotaro (everyone aside from Koyasu had to be recast for the Stardust Crusaders anime coming from the All-Star Battle game) was a really good performance in a really lovely show. Every time I remember, I wonder if it was because of Black Butler and I snicker a little.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

It was the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi actually. :twisted:
Best voiced JoJo so far is still Joseph anyway. And while I've commented enough in these forums concerning my mancrush on Tomokazu Sugita as Young Joseph, I think I've come to appreciate Unshou Ishizuka as Old Joseph a little more recently. How much of that is due to the fact that Stardust Crusaders is 3 times longer than Battle Tendency is unclear, but old man Ishizuka is basically primo "Rambunctious Old Man" material and he fits in as Old Joseph like a fine-rear end glove.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Homura and Sickle posted:

maybe:
Restaurant to Another World: after gazillionth seasons of hell girl and monogatari this is apparently what japanese nerds voted as their most anticipated anime this season. maybe they are onto something?
Japanese nerds were creaming their pants with Mahouka 3 years ago despite the fact that... well, it was Mahouka. gently caress Japanese nerds, their dumb-assed anticipations AND WHERE THE gently caress IS AMAGI BRILLIANT PARK'S SEASON 2, KYOANI? :argh:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Mahouka light novels were a game-changer for me: In early 2012, I got a friend in Tokyo to hunt down and send me the first half of the Gundam Unicorn novels because the I was really into the OVA's. In further exchanges through email, Skype, text messages and the like, he started mentioning in our exchanges that there was this Light Novel series that I might be into. That series was Mahouka. At around June-July 2012, I actually got the second package from my friend which included the back half of the Unicorn novels and the first 2 arcs of Mahouka (Volumes 1 through 4).

The reason that I wrote that first sentence about the Mahouka novels being a personal game-changer is that I'm fairly confident that those loving novels broke my brain: For real, the novels were so bad, they made me realize how much time I've had wasted in media that I honestly do not give one flying gently caress about. Like, there's stuff that I'll watch with friends while drinking and such, or the "So bad it's good" / guilty pleasure shlock that I still dig. However,all I needed to do was read this piece of fiction that was so vile, so up-its-own-rear end and just plain lovely, it flipped a switch in my brain that went "Man, this sunk-cost bullshit has got to stop", and it caused me to drop a bunch of long-running things that I knew in the back of my head were no longer among my jams: Among the things I can still half-remember dropping are Bleach, the Index novels, the SAO novels, the Marvel movies, and cheese knows how many other shows, comics and books. I think that I also stopped reading / bookmarking webcomics with the sole exception of Gunnerkrigg Court (which I still follow to this day). I actually started giving away stuff that I've been hoarding. So yeah, the Mahouka novels were so loving bad that they made me reevaluate my life choices in regards to what I use my time to entertain myself with.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's funny, for me the mahouka books were so loving bad that i started intentionally seeking out terrible garbage fiction to get my fix. mahouka is awful on every conceivable level, no one should ever read/watch any of it, and i love it deeply.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I did enjoy some posts from the Mahouka thread in here, especially the ones that did the whole "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his imouto?". Also, I swear that there was this girl who was legit in love with the series and thanks to everyone dunking on her, she started disliking it. Man, 3 years sure go by.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there an anime / light novel about a young guy who's transported to another world but instead of being a typical "Trapped/Reincarnated into another world" fantasy, it's like Gate in that both worlds are inter-connected and he's like an idiot savant at marketing Anime, Manga and Literature because he's like a Super Otaku, and people in the other world are like "WE WANT SOME OF THAT SWEET ANIME LOOT"? I swear it even came out before Gate.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was a long time coming. :3:

Sakurazuka posted:

:rip: WickedHate

Paracelsus posted:

Stay buried, WickedHate.

If Mahouka (at least the anime version, which I suspect smoothed over a lot of rough edges) had left the MC as just a really good inventor/technician rather than a secretly super specops walking nuke with the entire supporting cast's lips glued to the base of his dick, and cut down severely on the number of student council meetings, it might have been passable instead of a strangely fascinating case study. I watched it for the same reason I watched Horizon on the Edge of Nowhere: to see just how deep the rabbit hole went.
Right, now I remember! She had a crudely drawn Sonic as an AV for the longest time until someone gave her a silly Katsura AV, right? Good times.

A friend commented that all the SAO Restaurant/Bar scenes (or as he likes to call them "gently caress IT, INFO DUMP TIME") were like a stand-in for Reki Kawahara meeting/going through things with his editor, since he read in an interview that Kawahara often writes / meets with his editor in restaurants, so I'm guessing that the Student Council Meetings serve a similar purpose.

One anecdote that I recall from those years is Nakamura telling a bunch of people how he didn't care much for the show because he felt that his performance as Tatsuya was one of "minimum input" and how he was going for something like the breathless "... Hai" type of performance that he liked so much hearing from someone like Hikaru Midorikawa, but that it felt like a mockery of that. He said he was able to be more comfortable with himself once Ari Ozawa, his bro Sugita and Yui Horie teased him for it. I can imagine Yui Horie busting your chops would certainly cheer up your day real fast. :kimchi:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am ambivalent towards Horizon because, while the show and novels have a ton of groan-worthy nonsense, there are a number of cool things about the setting, and some of the other works from Kawakami (they're all set in different eras of the same Universe) are legit OK-to-Good, even if they point towards the conflict in Horizon as being tragically meaningless in the long run. :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Plus both Medusa and Arachne are miles better in design.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

Mahouka was basically the last time I was funny.

Thanks for the post praise.
Your posts in that thread ALMOST make me wish to purchase archives. Almost. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
LWA is really good, and cute, and fun. It's like that Dr. McNinja shirt that has a shark and a Gorilla high-fiving. Like almost all of DRRR!!, but cuter.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly did not care all that much for Kimi no Na Wa at first because I went to see it thinking "There's no way this is better than Garden of Words". I've seen it twice now (Kimi no Na wa, I mean), and I honestly don't know which one is better. It is, however, a pretty darn good movie. Also unlike almost every other movie I've seen on theaters since cheese knows how long, it has one advantage over them: It doesn't loving overstay its welcome.

So yeah, I hope this movie continues making Shinkai all them Fukuzawas.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bodacious Space Pirates was fun! Like playing Raid Mode in the Resident Evil games that have it. It also has some tasteful Yuri.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's like the band you'll never clamor as your favorite, but you listen to their records a bunch because they're still super rad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's a really funny way of spelling KonoSuba, GTGDC.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there's an Isekai show where the guy (or a group of people) goes to another world but instead of following him/them, the plot follows all the acquaintances/family members left behind in the real world and how they adjust to this person / group of people disappearing from their lives.

Hopefully written by a guy who can actually write, as opposed to my disgusting fever dreams that inevitably end up with me re-enacting a similar plot to the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (where they travel around the country beating up nay-sayers on the internet who dissed Bluntman & Chronic, not the part where they listen to Morris Day and The Time killing it).

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 26, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The "B" or "C" plot occasionally refers to the guy/group who left for another world. Let's say that you have 5 "main" characters and one of them gets transported to another world, but instead of the plot focusing exclusively on him/her and his/her trials and tribulations in the New World, it focuses more on the 4 people left behind and the Isekai hero/heroine who gets taken into the New World becomes a deuteragonist/tritagonist. Like how, instead of focusing on the "Power Fantasy", every time the Real World dudes and ladies do a thing of importance story-wise, the "Isekai" dude or lady gets some focus and it shows him either thriving ("gently caress yeah! I can cleave motherfucking dragons in half with my Sword/Scythe hybrid, yo'!") or struggling ("I need to wipe my rear end with WHAT? Urgh!").

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's an example that came to mind: Imagine if Quantum Leap was written by Kouhei Kadono (Boogiepop) and we get to follow Al instead of Sam and, while Al does have other matters to attend to, some of his efforts do concern Sam's whereabouts, so the story would focus on Sam at times. It's just not the main focus.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sleep properly, otherwise more brain-melting hallucinations will ensue. I mean, if you wanna.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

does doga kobo's power level rise inversely to the number of boys in their shows
Especially if said boys also count as girls (see Mikoshiba)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could say that Mikoshiba's whole shtick was that he's a male dude that acts like a Female Tsundere, but there's much more to his adorably idiocy that I can't honestly bring myself to say that he's just a tsundere.

And because I still laugh when remembering what causes this scene:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Best Girl with Best Laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFIe1D7cC4

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Isekai, the two from this season are about restaurant / businesses in another world right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Having a Smartphone? And then what, is the MC gonna charge it with magic? Plug it up his rear end, like Louis CK suggested we did with the DogPhone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwQMH6L7sp0

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blhue posted:

death truck comes for all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPibv8bJeas

"Beyond this river lies another world, where the souls of dead, lovely hiki-NEETS await their next reincarnation. Come, cross the river"
- Aqua

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

The comfort of death will come,
for hikikkomori and fujoshi alike...
by the guidance of
the Great Aqua-sama
「駄女神様」