Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Lord Koth posted:

Has anyone actually read Knight's & Magic in order to offer an opinion about it? On the one hand it looks like generic LN isekai trash, but on the other I'm tempted to watch it simply because it has medieval mecha in it, a category that has been sorely lacking in decent entries since Break Blade. And the PV didn't look exactly terrible - no harem for one.

Dunno how fair it is to judge it on just one volume but I wrote this after reading it a couple of years ago:

---
Finished reading Knights & Magic vol 1 by Amazake no Hisago. Unsurprisingly, it's a popular web novel that got picked up by a light novel label and is now published in paper form.

A 28-year-old programmer, cherished by his software company for sliding in before deadline and saving projects, is on his way home one day when he is killed by a drunk driver. Through the wonder of reincarnation, he finds himself reborn in a fantasy world filled with monsters, where humanity fights for its territory using giant mechanical robots known as Silhouette Knights. They're powered by magic, and as our protagonist soon discovers, the method of control is eerily similar to computer source code. Using the amazing skills gained in his former life, the young hero now sets out to revolutionize warfare with brilliant magical algorithms.

Let me be frank: this is terrible. It places itself firmly in the bottom 1% of what I've read in the past few years. Not because the story is worthless, or the prose is terrible, but because the structure of the storytelling itself is so insanely boring that I wanted to throw the book out the window nearly every page. The author is so intoxicated with his lore that every trace of plot or characterization is drowned out by explanations on details of details in details. It's excruciatingly dull.

The author also has no trust in his readership whatsoever, so every single line of dialogue is followed by a paragraph or two explaining exactly why the character felt the need to say those words in particular, and what the consequences of uttering them will be. The main character is only developed through the praise of his surroundings, so he's left as a perfect doll for the author to move around in his little imaginary world, endlessly executing amazing feats through blazing intellect. Any chance for turning him into a real person is swept away by labelling him a "mecha otaku" who just loves big robots.

Reading it in Japanese, I'm also smothered by incomprehensible katakana fantasy names, which instantly makes it twice as bad. Maybe the series turns into something fun eventually, but I'm pretty unlikely to give it more of my time.
---

Note that many of my complaints may have been fixed in the anime adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

This season will bless us with not one, not two, but three new web novel adaptations, ranked #13 (Restaurant), #32 (Knighty Magics) and #91 (Smartphone) on Narou. Might be the first time they don't turn out to be big sales hits, so I guess the bubble is about to burst.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Is Tylor a sequel from the 90's show? Or is it like a Weird spin-off/remake?

It's one of those fluffy <5m shows, so it can probably safely be ignored, canon-wise.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't there an anime / light novel about a young guy who's transported to another world but instead of being a typical "Trapped/Reincarnated into another world" fantasy, it's like Gate in that both worlds are inter-connected and he's like an idiot savant at marketing Anime, Manga and Literature because he's like a Super Otaku, and people in the other world are like "WE WANT SOME OF THAT SWEET ANIME LOOT"? I swear it even came out before Gate.

Outbreak Company maybe?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Reports from Tokyo MX are saying that Owari 2 will start airing on July 4th.

I wonder what content that will adapt. All the seasons so far have basically stuck to 1 vol = 5-6 episodes, and the remaining Owarimonogatari book (vol 3) is no longer than the rest. Maybe they'll sneak Zoku in there too.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Adapt all the things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YLceLUB9hg

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

It may be a passing craze, but it's only just begun. We've got Death March, Shield Bro and Izakaya Nobu coming up next.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

I hope there's an Isekai show where the guy goes to another world but instead of following him, the plot follows all the people he left behind in the real world and how they adjust to this person / group of people disappearing from their lives.

Hopefully written by a guy who can actually write, as opposed to my disgusting fever dreams that inevitably end up with me re-enacting a similar plot to the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back (where they travel around the country beating up nay-sayers on the internet who dissed Bluntman & Chronic, not the part where they listen to Morris Day and The Time killing it).

I think they called that one The X Files.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Speaking of Isekai, the two from this season are about restaurant / businesses in another world right?

There are three: Knight's & Magic is part of the isekai subcategory known as isekai tensei, where the protagonist dies in our world (usually by truck) and is reincarnated in a new (fantasy) world.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

The Monogatari BD's and DVD's are still selling reasonably well, aren't they? Like, I swear I read somewhere that Shinbo Simbo's plan was to animate EVERY single Monogatari novel, but are they still selling as well as they did with Bake and Nise? If I don't misremember, the original Bakemonogatari BD's were legit competing with stuff like Eva 1.11 and 2.22 and such, weren't they?

Sales have dropped gradually for every new season. Bakemonogatari averaged around 80k per volume, Owarimonogatari around 27k.

For comparison, Attack on Titan s2's first volume came out last week, and the sales drop from s1 to s2 was 51,171 -> 6,603 (on vol 1's first week).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

H-Hooray...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpoHvhWthM

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I thought train wrecks had to start out good, then eventually derail and turn into a burning mess of screaming pain. Handshakers was pretty bad from the get-go.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

As a concrete example, the broadcast of Kiss Dum was a true train wreck, in that production seemingly melted down, and it turned into some weird sequence of half-animated recaps after like 3 episodes.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Gyra_Solune posted:

didn't they re-air an improved version though? the one I watched, it definitely CHANGED after three episodes, but I only remember substantial quality dives around halfway through

Yeah, there's a "Kiss Dum R", which is basically a bug-fixed version, that was broadcast a year later. Also includes some added epilogue episode at the end. Personally I just gave up after ep 4 of the original clusterfuck.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

What's this from?

Probably this (MAL).

Supposedly it has an extended "uncensored" version for web viewing after the TV broadcast, but the servers crashed under the pressure or whatever. Can't miss out on the nipples, now, can you.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Er, the visuals for this new fall TV anime look like some kind of April Fool's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKzNx2uy2c

Is this what happens when Netflix money gets involved?

Edit: Mari Okada's directorial debut film got itself a trailer too, apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DA6_VYfOyw

darkgray fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 6, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

At this point, I've followed the Monogatari series for 8 years. Eight loving years. I love the books (even when I have a love/hate relationship with the way NisiOisin writes) I enjoy the anime and I think that Senjougahara is up there with Rin Tohsaka as far as rad characters go, but I would rather see Shaft do literally anything else. I mean, I know they're not gonna stop because DVD/BD's of the series still sell ridiculously well and how Chin-Po SIMBO's boner for Nisio's literature got them to adapt loving ZAREGOTO's first novel. Zaregoto! I don't know how long you've lurked in the forums before signing up for an SA forums account, but I remember that there used to be a couple of goons besides me who entertained the idea of Zaregoto getting an anime due to the fact that Nisemono and Neko were as successful as they were when the Second Season of Monogatari started. That was a little under 4 years ago.

Man, time flies.

New Monogatari novel out in ~2 weeks, so they'll probably milk it another five years at least.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Wark Say posted:

By the way, are you the same dude who used to have an AV with a pepsi-esque logo?

Yeah, also an anime butt, if that's more familiar.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Not to mention the false drama that's generated from a contradiction in the story's own rules: they point out the one girl who hasn't gotten her match despite being 16, then try to generate drama by having this dude receive his selection at exactly midnight of his birthday, like, uh which way is it supposed to be?

This didn't seem to clash with logic. If person A's match B is younger, then person A can't receive a notification until person B turns 16, because it would spoil person B's partner ahead of time. In the case of our protagonists, not getting the notification at midnight would mean confirmation they both get different partners, who are yet to turn 16.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dunno if it counts, since he did the game first, but he did the music for https://myanimelist.net/anime/31452/Norn9__Norn_Nonet

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

kater posted:

I liked Quiz Test: Fingering Rapidly a whole bunch.

The main girl kiiiiiiiiiinda sounded like the main girl from Koe no Katachi.

Not sure if you're meaning to say she sounds deaf. In either case, she's one of those idol/actress girls who's waltzed in to do a bit of voice acting, I guess. The blogs have gleefully been calling it the worst acting in years, but she actually made a brief debut way back with Star Driver.

(On the other hand, Saori Hayama, who acted in Koe no Katachi, is arguably the best of her generation.)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

The Vatican Pretty Boys show gave me motion sickness, because it absolutely refused to stop either panning or zooming in every single scene for 24 minutes.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Overlord was probably the biggest commercial hit to be part of this boom.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I'm seemingly too olde for Guru Guru. Mostly spent the 23 minutes wishing the horrible noise onslaught would end already. Very aggressive comedy.
Supposedly the remake has a massively increased tempo, covering something like 3 old episodes with 1 new.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I was kind of enjoying Gamers! until I hit wikipedia and noticed it's the author behind Seitokai no Ichizon, which I hated beyond compare. Now I don't know what to do.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Watching Isekai Smartphone is an exercise in opening your jaw wider and wider in astonishment at how loving shameless it is in its power fantasy-ness.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

That Reflection thing isn't quite what I'd expected from the director of Mushishi and Detroit Metal City, but oh well. Very strange tempo in the cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sagrada Reset ended this week at 24 episodes, and while I pretty much dozed through the first 9 out of a sense of duty since I like the author's current LN series, the show really turned it around with ep 10, and I think it's managed to keep my interest well enough all the way through to finish up as my favourite anime to have aired this season. It's still arguably a show about talking robots, but once it clicks I think it becomes pretty wonderful. Not that I expect anyone to suffer through an entire cour of a series for the vague chance of possibly liking it eventually. At least it deserves my public praise!

• Locked thread