Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
should op be banned
yes
no
View Results

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

from what I've heard tesla has a proper ux team, they just get constantly overruled by idiots who think they know better [this is super common in tech companies]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

2) is partly a software failure in that they let the software engineers have too much influence over the design of the controls. a good designer with human factors/ergonomics experience would not have let them get away with "giant ipad controls everything."

but yes, overall i don't think their software is poorly-coded, just mischaracterized (autopilot is not an autopilot) and half-baked (the UX sucks).

I don't think theres any software developer who has the final say on the stupid tablet controls. that's gotta be a management thing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's elon being a moron and thinking he is steve jobs

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what does god (Elon) want with a dev tools engineer

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
"I effectively stopped regretted attrition from the team, and ended up growing it by over 50%. I personally interviewed most of the accepted candidates."

"In the end, Elon and I agreed that he and I did not work well together and that I should leave, so I did."

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plorkyeran posted:

"In the end, Elon and I agreed that he and I did not work well together and that I should leave, so I did."

I'm pretty sure this is called getting fired

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"doesn't work well with elon" should be the first line of his resume

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

sounds like a clever cookie rich should poach him for the xenforo migration imo

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

I don't think theres any software developer who has the final say on the stupid tablet controls. that's gotta be a management thing.

reminder that SpaceX's crewed capsule uses giant touch screens for controls, with manual buttons for a few things to be used in emergencies.

because those screens won't be hard to use while the craft is vibrating during takeoff/reentry while wearing a spacesuit, no sir. nevermind somebody accidentally brushing up against the panel while in zero-g.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

reminder that SpaceX's crewed capsule uses giant touch screens for controls, with manual buttons for a few things to be used in emergencies.

because those screens won't be hard to use while the craft is vibrating during takeoff/reentry while wearing a spacesuit, no sir. nevermind somebody accidentally brushing up against the panel while in zero-g.

jesus christ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i want to believe that's a mock-up, and that NASA (or better, the russians) will slap some sense into them, but we saw what happened with the model 3

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo that rocket lmao. what about if there's condensation?

fuzzywife keeps getting emails from their executive recruiting team saying, "you'll get to work directly with elon!" and were like nooope.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

llvm, clang, and swift are all horrible so its not surprising the creator washed out when asked to do something more significant.

literally loled at this post

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

i want to believe that's a mock-up, and that NASA (or better, the russians) will slap some sense into them, but we saw what happened with the model 3

i didn't, fill a goon in

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

i didn't, fill a goon in

elon showed off the model 3 prototype that had no controls or gauges other than a giant ipad slapped onto the dashboard (like, literally, it looks like someone said "oh gently caress where do we put the ipad?" and just stuck it on). everyone said "that's bad where are the real controls and gauges?" elon said "nope that's it" and sure enough, that's it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Endless Mike posted:

elon showed off the model 3 prototype that had no controls or gauges other than a giant ipad slapped onto the dashboard (like, literally, it looks like someone said "oh gently caress where do we put the ipad?" and just stuck it on). everyone said "that's bad where are the real controls and gauges?" elon said "nope that's it" and sure enough, that's it.

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how did that moron get a rocket into space

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hiring people who are smarter than he is. Didn't he put some kind of dumbass emphasis on the spacesuits looking "cool" or "badass" or something as well

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just dont understand how he is even smart enough to have hired the right people

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
courage

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:grin:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doc Block posted:

so he wanted LCARS in his space ship but didn't bother to invent inertial dampers first? what a scrub.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

because driving when the sun is really low in the sky isn't hard enough

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The cars going to be driving itself, no need to present information to the driver in an easy to see way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blue Train posted:

The cars going to be driving itself, no need to present information to the driver in an easy to see way

this is almost a verbatim elon quote, for those who don't know

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

never stops being funny

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Doc Block posted:

uhhhhhhhhh

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

This is the future and it needs to look futuristic

“Our spacesuit design is finally coming together and will also be unveiled later this year. We are putting a lot of effort into design esthetics, not just utility. It needs to both look like a 21st century spacesuit and work well,

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blue Train posted:

This is the future and it needs to look futuristic

“Our spacesuit design is finally coming together and will also be unveiled later this year. We are putting a lot of effort into design esthetics, not just utility. It needs to both look like a 21st century spacesuit and work well,

it's gonna look like the generic crysis/2017 power ranger/advanced warfare cyber armor suit and not actually work well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I liked the mars suits dainese developed a few years ago

ofc that's for a situation where the temperatures are only about as cold as a winter day and there's a bit of a (non-breathable) atmosphere

using the diagonal cords to provide structure is cool tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

using the diagonal cords to provide structure is cool tho

it's nike flywire

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
that the new tron suit?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Sagebrush posted:

this is almost a verbatim elon quote, for those who don't know

actually, he said you're gonna have a relationship with your tesla like you do with a taxi. the future is awesome

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

shepard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

actually, he said you're gonna have a relationship with your tesla like you do with a taxi. the future is awesome

"Honey, what do you say we take a drive up into the mountains and have a picnic?" *shoveling a mountain of syringes and used condoms out of the passenger seat*

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Jesus gently caress

I guess this could sort of work if they are doing something novel like having the gas pedal push back when you're going above the speed limit but I bet they just expect you to navigate through a bunch of ipad menus to find your range and speed

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i look forward to insurance companies charging people more to cover these things because it is baked into the design for you to be looking off to the side all the time

i also look forward to the subsequent whinging about how insurance companies hate the future, and Musk getting to claim the victim while model 3's crash into lightpoles all over the country

new cars are putting stereo controls on the goddamn steering wheel, putting the speedometer over on the console is a regression no one asked for

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is the same company that released a minivan with both gull wing doors and regular doors, and a giant windshield that continues up above the driver's head for extra direct sunlight on you while you drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

i look forward to insurance companies charging people more to cover these things because it is baked into the design for you to be looking off to the side all the time

i also look forward to the subsequent whinging about how insurance companies hate the future, and Musk getting to claim the victim while model 3's crash into lightpoles all over the country

look no further friend, the future is here http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/06/biz-break-aaa-tells-tesla-owners-pay-up-with-higher-premiums/ and it is real and it is my friend

quote:

Why is this even a story? Insurance is a competitive business. If AAA rates are not in line with other insurers then customers will move on. No one has to be insured by AAA. I'm wondering why The Merc looks for nothing but negative news when it comes to Tesla. What are the motives to try to destroy this company?

Look at the demographics of Tesla drivers for the answer. And it isn't income.

Electric/Hybrid Cars are more prone to be totaled because of battery repair cost. So it should cost more to insure it.

Why? : Accident rate, injuries and damage data. Tesla are very safe in a crash and avoid crashes with driver assist features. The crumple zones are huge on a Tesla and that is proving to be very safe.

• Locked thread