Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
A word of advice: Do not hesitate to pick fights within our borders. even people who are up to 5k higher than you will usually run when challenged, and for good reason: on your home turf, your losses go to infirmary (except undead and mechanical stuff, don't field those if you don't want to lose them unless you know what you're doing), while 30% of their losses will be outright killed. That means they have to recruit new ones, and that costs gold and, for silver tier onward, special resources. Even if you lose, unless you lose badly, they will end up paying more in time and resources to get themselves back up than you did.

Build the academy and research silver units. They are more than twice as strong as their bronze counterparts. If you want to specialize in hunting pubbies, and who wouldn't, know that your combat rating includes every unit in your army, even those you couldn't possibly field from lack of heroes / space on the field, those on your walls, the walls themselves, and so on. If you keep your army streamlined you can trick enemies into accepting or even provoking fights they think will be easy and handing out their rear end to them.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you pack your walls and your army inventory you can make yourself look bigger than you are, and then push people around. Careful with that though, have at least a decent setup so you can back up your threats.

Always do the special places on the map, and try to get them without using the garbage heroes you don't want to level because they suck. (I'm looking at you, Vega.) They're worth a lot of XP for the stamina, much more than the one time encounters on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Here's a trick I wish I had known when I started, maybe it can help others. Vega (the healer) is useless. Do not level her.
Level 1 heroes heal fast when injured, something like a minute. When you're fighting for cities you need to swamp the area with your color near the end so some asshat doesn't ninja it and ruin all your hard work. It's stupid but that's how it works. Low level players are critical at that point because even without any heroes to field, they can still start fights and block their opponents in the army selection screen for one minute at a time. This is where Vega shines. Since she heals quickly, she can just pop a stamina potion if you're all out of energy, and actually be on the field to be slaughtered and make the opposing heroes all lose a stamina. After this update, I will only cost her one point of stamina to do it instead of two as of now. By the time you run back from your city she'll be healed and ready to go again.
But wait, that's not all: after the fight is over the game tells you how many points of stamina each of your opponents heroes have left, so you can watch them die in real time. Once they're pretty much out of energy and can't field any more troops, the little lone Vega can actually win a match and injure all their heroes.
E: only drawback, you can no longer use her for sieges, since that gives 1000xp each time and you don't want her to level up.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
You run out of overland battles after a few days, and the dungeon ones are always the same. The game quickly tuns from a fun HoMM-like with some interesting combat mechanics to a 5 minutes a day poop game with p2w pvp. The way they handle the progression sucks, what with progress locked if you don't find a home, though. That and they've been opening new servers like crazy, creating a wave of serial migrations that only leaves dead servers in its wake.
I ended up uninstalling it, not even halfway into my $1 one month sponsor thingy.

• Locked thread