Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

((( Use IsThereAnyDeal to track the deals of your Steam wishlist on all the sites everywhere forever. )))

:siren: Welcome to the Summer Sale 2017 Thread. :siren: This year this thread exists in order to gather all the discussion ignited by games being on sale ANYWHERE. Origin counts too.

Steam is dropped from the title because nowadays it's only relevant as far as setting the time frame of the Summer Sale Season that all the other game distribution services follow but the deals themselves aren't remarkable.

Combine that with the new Steam policy change that doesn't allow you to gift to regions cheaper than 10% than your own and we're in the meh territory.

But hey you can take your money elsewhere!

You can still join the #steamgoons IRC channel to talk with goons about it though!.

:siren: Anyway, sites with deals on Steam (and non-Steam) games: :siren:
  • Steam heh, a classic. Sale starts tomorrow 22.06.
  • Humble Bundle always remember to check their regular and weekly bundles while you're there.
  • Direct2Drive has a sale going right now.
  • Greenman Gaming sometimes just has the best deals and often offers a discount code that additionally shaves off 15-25% from the sale price.
  • Gamers Gate offers some cool daily deals but nothing too epic UNTIL they gently caress up the prices.
  • Bundle Stars also has a store. They have some good deals on often obscure titles that aren't a highlight anywhere else.
  • Indie Gala has a store. It sucks. But hey, sometimes it doesn't!
  • Amazon Digital Games - there used to be deals here. RIP Amazon Tony.

:siren: Non-Steam sites: :siren:
  • Origin sports sports sports also get Titanfall 2.
  • GOG old and new games with no DRM from CDPR.
  • Uplay games from Ubisoft. Note that they strictly sell Uplay-only codes that won't work on Steam.
  • Blizzard Store formerly known as Battle.net. Strictly Blizzard games.
  • PSN Store Playstation games.

:siren: Recommendations: :siren: there are goons that do write-ups on various games:

http://gaben.tv/

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm pretty sure Green Man Gaming no longer does the coupon thing but they're still worth keeping an eye on anyway. However, they tend to have slightly better discounts now if you're signed up with them and that's kind of incorporated into that. It's not as good as the good old days, but it's a thing.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
GabeN paved the way so that others may follow.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJW_ML5aE9E

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Why the hell did I buy Hitman today instead of waiting a day and getting some extra cards or something? Well poo poo.

edit: VVVVV probably should, probably won't, too lazy, gently caress it.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 21, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Senjuro posted:

Why the hell did I buy Hitman today instead of waiting a day and getting some extra cards or something? Well poo poo.

Maybe you could return it shamelessly? Heartlessly? Wisely?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
GOON MADE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMYH9bHcY

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
RIP Amazon Tony

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
maybe tony got creeped out by how everyone loved him so much

Bayonetta $10 lets go fellas

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
No way is there a real online store called Gamergate

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Reality Winner posted:

No way is there a real online store called Gamergate
Correct, there isn't.
But there is one called Gamer's Gate which has been around for years.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

Combine that with the new Steam policy change that doesn't allow you to gift to regions cheaper than 10% than your own and we're in the meh territory.

Wait what? What about games not available in my region? (ALL HAIL GERMAN CENSORSHIP!) Am I hosed or can they still be gifted?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Did GOG fall out of popularity or did they just do they whole summer sale early this year?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

extra stout posted:

Did GOG fall out of popularity or did they just do they whole summer sale early this year?

Think their sale was last week or earlier.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
whats the site that tells you if a game been on sale

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

John Romero posted:

whats the site that tells you if a game been on sale
The first line of the OP on this page? Or Amazon-specific CamelCamelCamel?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Just buy all the games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there anywhere I can get a discount to purchase the time and energy to actually play any of this stuff?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I wish Valve still made video games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I wish Valve still made video games.

to be fair they haven't made a good game since 2004 who's to say they'd be able to knock off that layer of rust

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

PORTAL WASN'T VALVE IT WAS THE DIGITECH TEAM THAT MADE NARBACULAR DROP SHUT UP

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I'm excited for the sale. Whats the 1 game you all seem to be waiting to buy this sale?

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I'm hoping somewhere blizzard puts overwatch on sale. I've been meaning to buy it for PC but since I already have the PS4 version my conscious won't allow spending more than $30. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turd Herder posted:

I'm excited for the sale. Whats the 1 game you all seem to be waiting to buy this sale?

Battle Brothers, MidBoss, Hollow Knight, Avadon....

Not one game, but ugh, I want so many games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im not gonna buy any games

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Bedlam posted:

I'm hoping somewhere blizzard puts overwatch on sale. I've been meaning to buy it for PC but since I already have the PS4 version my conscious won't allow spending more than $30. :(

I got bad news

They just had an Overwatch sale for it's anniversary last month

Turd Herder posted:

Unless Bethesda fucks it up for me, DOOM

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Awesome! posted:

im not gonna buy any games

same, saving up for a new comp.

although if some games I love drop to ridiculously low prices I might gift them to friends.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i cant wait for all these 50% deals!!!!!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Man, I have too much poo poo to buy this time. I'm gonna have to budget and prioritise. :(

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

Man, I have too much poo poo to buy this time. I'm gonna have to budget and prioritise. :(

It's easier said then done, but if you can group your wanted games into one of the following categories, only buy the ones in the first category this sale, and buy the ones in the second during the winter sale:
1. "I'm definitely going to play this within the next 6 months!!!"
2. "I really want to play this, but not sure that I'll get to it in the next 6 months"

Otherwise you'll get a massive backlog (or make your existing one larger), and most likely run out of time to play them all :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kragger99 posted:

It's easier said then done, but if you can group your wanted games into one of the following categories, only buy the ones in the first category this sale, and buy the ones in the second during the winter sale:
2. "I really want to play this, but not sure that I'll get to it in the next 6 months"

Otherwise you'll get a massive backlog (or make your existing one larger), and most likely run out of time to play them all :(

This is really good advice!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kragger99 posted:

This man knows what he is talking about.

I generally keep two categories in Steam - "Currently Playing" and "Endless Games". The former has things like Tyranny (just picked up from it's recent sale the other week and enjoying it), Metal Gear Solid V (have yet to start), Witcher 3, etc. The latter category has (in addition to linked openers for Overwatch/Diablo 3 and the like) Rocket League, Pinball FX2, Caves of Qud, etc. I try to keep as little in the "Currently Playing" category as possible. I might add 2 or 3 games per sale to last 6 months until the next sale, as you mentioned. Once I am finished with a game, it gets uninstalled and set in a "Beaten" category. I hide uninstalled games so I generally don't even see that category listed. It's definitely not for everyone, but I think it's a solid system that keeps me on track to play (and actually finish!) games.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, problem is I have 60 bucks on my steam account so I'll probably stick to that for budgeting, and the ones I really want to play (which would fit into the 'next 6 months' category) are the expensive ones, so I'm not sure I'll have enough for all. :v:

I'm looking at:
NieR Automata
Dishonoured 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Dark Souls 3 (+DLC)
Little Nightmares
Sexy Brutale
Night in the Woods
Nex Machina
Cryptark
Snake Pass
The Surge

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Should I continue holding off on Civ 6?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kragger99 posted:

Wow, normally we get at least a few days into the sale before posters start contemplating their own mortality.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Bob A Feet posted:

Should I continue holding off on Civ 6?

If you've made it this far, then yes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm gonna have $50 for the sale (for now) and these are the wishlist games I'm focusing on for the sale:

Princess Remedy In a Heap of Trouble
Spaceman Sparkles series
CrossCells (maybe it won't suck like SquareCells did)
Tick Tock Bang Bang
Legacy of Kain series
Hidden Folks
Monolith
The Tenth Line
Bleed 2
OneShot
Momodora Reverie
ICEY
Pan-Pan
Poi
Flinthook
Skylar & Plux
Hollow Knight
Assassin's Creed Rogue

basically stuff that's currently $15 or less pre-sale. I'm obviously not going to be able to get all those games at the moment so I'll probably lean on the ones that have real discounts. some of these are relatively new and won't get much more than a 25% discount, I'm expecting. my actual steam wishlist is nearly 200 games, excluding unreleased games, so there's always deals that might sneak in and snag me too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Legacy of Kain series

As much as I love the LoK series, I would genuinely recommend that you watch a playthrough of it somewhere instead of playing with it. Some of the games in the series are fun to play, but even when they are, they get bogged down with hideous block sliding puzzles and some frustrating fights. I say this as someone who went through Soul Reaver 1 twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Just incase it helps anyone, I posted a list of the really good stuff that's new in tyool 2017 that you might want to look out for. There is of course a lot more indie games, some ok, some maybe even borderline good, but this is just (imo) the really standout games this year. In particular, Hollow Knight is a masterpiece and worth getting even if it's a weak sale.

This has been a pretty good year of the gamer, but really moreso a fan-loving-tastic year if you own a PS4 which I advise you look into since they're pretty cheap and lot of great exclusives on there. I got one back in Mar for the first time and my PC has mostly been eating dust.

Xaris posted:

If anyone else is like me and has moved away from Steam-hype bubble the past several years and now lives under a rock like an ol' hermit and sort of just pops in every so often, here's a list of good games that have come out in 2017 and you might want to check out during the upcoming sale if the price is right for you.

• Prey
  • Nier: Automata
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Night in the Woods
  • Hollow Knight (easily top 3 true metroidvania on Steam and is amazing)
  • Vanquish + Bayonetta (not new, but new to Steam!)
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (technically not new and you may already have it, but they added a lot of content and worth getting now for sure since it's amazing)
  • Dead Cells (** It's still EA but it's absolutely amazing. I only don't recommend it because you might play 30+ hrs of this and burn out before the game is completed and balanced but holy poo poo it's fun. Probably not going to see more than 10/15% sale on it right now though but worth putting on your Wishlist)

Other games I have my eye on from this year that I have not played:
  • Alwas Awakening
  • Everspace (heard mixed things but I may get it if the price is low enough)
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
I do have a few 2016 games I never got around to getting as well but I assume most anyone interested probably picked up most of the good-stuff last Winter already so I don't think that's worth recapping.

• Locked thread