Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have but one wish: Hyper Light Drifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Craptacular! posted:

It's a good game. I could see it hit 50% off again like it did back in March, maybe.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

A fun game that quickly made me realize I am not as good at games as I once was.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i need to get back to that. got sidetracked after one boss. was a really good boss fight too (bird guy)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Turd Herder posted:

I'm excited for the sale. Whats the 1 game you all seem to be waiting to buy this sale?
I will totally buy up Dead Rising 2 OTR when it is 85% off this sale for being so old and not discounted 60% like those other sales.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Scalding Coffee posted:

I will totally buy up Dead Rising 2 OTR when it is 85% off this sale for being so old and not discounted 60% like those other sales.

i mean, if you really want to play it, is a fiver difference that big of deal if its something you really want and know you'll have a blast? either you'll play it or won't

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was making fun of it being so resistant to a large discount for being so old. I'll get it anyway.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Xaris posted:

Just incase it helps anyone, I posted a list of the really good stuff that's new in tyool 2017 that you might want to look out for. There is of course a lot more indie games, some ok, some maybe even borderline good, but this is just (imo) the really standout games this year. In particular, Hollow Knight is a masterpiece and worth getting even if it's a weak sale.

I've been putting all my time into adventure games this month but I was dead-set on getting this out before the sale, because Hollow Knight really is something incredible. I'm going to try to do it justice but the short version is that it took the metroidvania and Dark Souls formulas and made something that's better than both in a lot of ways.

There aren't many games that have cast a longer shadow over the industry than Dark Souls, and much like what you'll find lurking within them it's been a bit of a curse. Too many indie games have been overtuned to provide a similarly punishing experience, narratives have been undercooked to mimic the subtle storytelling, and action has been slowed to a crawl to imitate the methodical combat. But some titles have taken the right bits of inspiration and mixed them with their own brew of mechanics, and from just such a concoction you will find Hollow Knight. And in many ways, the mix Team Cherry has come up with is a richer taste than what inspired it.

Hollow Knight is the tale of a little bug in a big, dark, scary world of bugs. It's bugs all the way down, you see; the kingdom of Hollownest was once a great and powerful society, spread across deep warrens beneath the surface. But something went wrong long ago and the kingdom fell silent. Now only the tiny hamlet of Dirtmouth remains to mark its location, though recently bugs have found themselves drawn to the lost kingdom in search of something. You will follow them down there, meet them, battle them and the unknown denizens, and change the fate of the cursed kingdom forever.

Pretty heavy stuff, right? Hollow Knight gets that, and that's one of its first and most prominent achievements. The tone this title strikes is both unique and flawless, an unexpected mix of charm, despair, humor, and dread. You've probably noticed already that your little dude is absolutely adorable, nipping along with his little white mask and nail. The other bugs nice enough to speak to you are often just as cute, but sometimes have sinister edges to them, or in a few cases are downright creepy. Friendly critters may crack jokes or help you out, while others relay ominous portends or warn you of the many dangers in and around Hollownest.

This balance carries on to the environments in a big way. The game world is massive for a metroidvania, and each area has a distinct style and atmosphere that hits all the right notes to evoke powerful reactions. From the first area of dark caves and ruins you may end up in a lush grotto of vines and creatures, a pleasant change until you realize the water is acidic and every bush may hide terrible dangers. Or you could descend into the caverns of potent fungi, with mysterious, bulbous foes that must be approached with great caution. Later journeys take you to decaying cities, silent graveyards, bustling coliseums, desolate wastes, and two of the most horrifyingly oppressive places I have ever visited in a video game. I'm not kidding here, Hollow Knight has topped titles from Half-life to SOMA in crafting locations that give me relentless anxiety.

Another achievement worth mentioning is how Hollow Knight can craft such an atmosphere without hobbling the player in how they approach it. Part of the Dark Souls experience is trundling around at a slow jog, fighting battles and dodging traps at a measured pace. Team Cherry wisely elected to ignore this aspect of their inspiration, instead making your little knight swift, nimble, and refreshingly responsive. The controls here are tight, allowing you to execute your dashes and sword swings with ease as you dance around bugs both great and small, airborne and grounded, armed and fanged. At no point was I frustrated with the pace at which I could move about, and the fluid motion made the elaborate and creative battles against bosses and larger enemies all the more enjoyable.

As a metroidvania there's a wealth of hidden items and powers to scrounge up across the world as well. Some are common pieces of the genre like health and magic upgrades, weapon skills and wall climbing and such. But even here there are unique implementations, like one of your earliest powers being essentially unlimited horizontal flight. Uncovering this treasure so early on feels incredibly liberating and exciting, but also reveals to you just how important verticality is to the game. You can further augment your movement and combat with charms that can extend your sword reach, change how you move when hit or attacking, or grant you all sorts of additional effects. I will admit a little disappointment here at how essential some charms are over others and how the limited slots for them tend to keep me from experimenting much, though.

I suppose I could gripe about a few other annoyances, like the rare bug I get where my charged attacks don't work, or how spread out the fast travel is. That latter one is a bit of a pain in truth, because the stations used for fast travel tend to be quite far from points of interest. You certainly won't be relying on them as much as you would Castlevania warp rooms or Dark Souls bonfire warps. The map is another aspect that could be a drag, but honestly I love it. You don't fill in new areas of the map until you reach a save point, and to get a map at all you have to locate an amateur cartographer in each area. He tends to be near one of the logical entrances and has audio and visual cues to lead you to him, so there's a bit of tension in each new locale as you seek him out.

It's details like the map that make me love the game more, really. Hollownest isn't just a maze to run around, it's a functioning world with its own rules and requirements. The things Hollow Knight asks you to do are never unreasonable and fit with the dark and unusual tone of the places you visit. Nothing is out of place here, and it all works in concert to immerse you in this strange world of bugs and mysticism. The characters and locations are far more memorable to me than those of similar games, in large part because they can be funny or creepy or adorable and still fill their role in a seamless narrative. There's a lot to unpack about Hollownest, but instead of just resting on riddles this game makes you WANT to puzzle it out.

On top of everything that Hollow Knight does right, it looks and sounds absolutely breathtaking. The hand-drawn aesthetic gives the enemies and environments an extra spark of life, complimenting the strong lines and flat colors with impressive animated details. The environments in particular are labors of love that bring together careful linework, bold lighting, and rich particle effects to make them feel deep and authentic. And the sound design does just as well, with appropriately subtle, melancholy melodies and impactful effects. There's so much going on here that it baffles me how it could all work together so perfectly and yet it does, on and on for easily 20 hours or more. Hollow Knight does what few games manage to do, take clear inspiration from classics and find its own way to surpass them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, problem is I have 60 bucks on my steam account so I'll probably stick to that for budgeting, and the ones I really want to play (which would fit into the 'next 6 months' category) are the expensive ones, so I'm not sure I'll have enough for all. :v:

I'm looking at:
NieR Automata
Dishonoured 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Dark Souls 3 (+DLC)
Little Nightmares
Sexy Brutale
Night in the Woods
Nex Machina
Cryptark
Snake Pass
The Surge

Here's an easy tip for you and anyone else who wants to manage their spending.

Do not buy single player games that have DLC but are not available as complete/goty edition yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hollow Knight

/mutters to self as Hollow Knight shoves itself onto the top of my wishlist

Man, tomorrow cannot come soon enough!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Too Shy Guy posted:

I've been putting all my time into adventure games this month but I was dead-set on getting this out before the sale, because Hollow Knight really is something incredible. I'm going to try to do it justice but the short version is that it took the metroidvania and Dark Souls formulas and made something that's better than both in a lot of ways.

There aren't many games that have cast a longer shadow over the industry than Dark Souls, and much like what you'll find lurking within them it's been a bit of a curse. Too many indie games have been overtuned to provide a similarly punishing experience, narratives have been undercooked to mimic the subtle storytelling, and action has been slowed to a crawl to imitate the methodical combat. But some titles have taken the right bits of inspiration and mixed them with their own brew of mechanics, and from just such a concoction you will find Hollow Knight. And in many ways, the mix Team Cherry has come up with is a richer taste than what inspired it.

Nice writeup. I'm glad you posted it so hopefully more people get it. Its real good

The developer is also a goon and has posted interesting tidbits in the Hollow Knight thread so SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GOONDEVS!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=109047

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Were devs (and Valve) really losing so much money that they had to change their gifting policy altogether? Or does it help cut down on stolen credit card sales in cheap regions or something?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Goondev games that I know of / are good / and the devs post fairly regularly here:

Dungeonmans by Madjack - he's a regular in his own thread and the roguelikes thread, and has been a good source of interesting roguelike meta as well as patches for his game. The game itself is funny, fun to play, and probably one of the best entry-level roguelikes out there. I wrote a review for it on Steam here, if you want to read it.

Deathstate by... I have forgotten their name, but they hang out in the roguelikes thread too. This is my favorite twin stick shooter, primarily because it's a tense, fun experience that's accessible to me: you don't have to aim your bullets. In fact, you can't. You focus on dodging alone, and the enemies are designed really well so the auto-aim doesn't screw you over. It has lots of difficulty levels, but the basic one is easy enough that I was able to clear it, and have fun doing so! I highly, highly recommend it.

Caves of Qud by Unormal and Hand of Luke! The best open-world mutant game ever, amen. Want to be a time-traveling psychic who shoots laser beams? You got it. Want to be a flying gunslinger? You got it. Want to beat a bear to death and wear its bloodied face? Done. Caves of Qud is huge, difficult, and while it's a roguelike there's an easily accessed way to turn off permadeath so you can treat it like a regular rpg. My review. Also, the devs are actively working on it and bringing to a 1.0 release in the next year or so, which is sweet!

Sproggiwood by Unormal and Hand of Luke - they made a good baby's first roguelike! It's fun, it's brutal, it's great for coffee break playing. Here's my review!

Brigador, the best isometric mech simulator. Also, commit warcrimes! I know it looks like a twin stick shooter, but it's actually a stealth/tactical game - if you rush the enemy, you will die. You have to carefully engage squads of the enemy and mow them down. The writing and music are spectacular, as are the controls - and okay, I love the tank controls, but if you don't, they've added absolute controls and an option to slow down the game for gamepad use. (Also for accessibility use, which was essential, as I had trouble processing the game at full-speed initially.) Review here. Its goondevs are anthony patch and gauss and someone else I'm forgetting, but they're all active in the Brigador thread!

WASTED - okay, Mr. Podunkian kind of vanished, but the game is still good. Roguelike FPS mixed with Fallout vault diving, and if you dig it, it's good. I'm not good at FPSes, but I still had fun fiddling with it, and I feel it's a safe rec. :)

Now - I know. I frequent the roguelikes thread mostly, so I can't tell you about other goonmade games. What am I missing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Were devs (and Valve) really losing so much money that they had to change their gifting policy altogether? Or does it help cut down on stolen credit card sales in cheap regions or something?

G2A and the russian mafia, basically. Yes, they were losing that much money.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I updated the OP with links to goon write-ups/recommendations.

I also went through the links again and deleted a couple of stores: it turns out that Groupees gave up on game bundles for the time being and Gamefly doesn't sell games at all and is a game streaming service now, what.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Craptacular! posted:

Very good game I wish has gotten more attention (and I'm not talking about the „but it doesn't go over the X FPS cap!“ kind of attention that paralyzed the Steam community forums for like a year). Even if you don't like the gameplay the OST might be worth giving a try, it's really good and made by the same guy who did the soundtrack for It Follows.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Very good game I wish has gotten more attention (and I'm not talking about the „but it doesn't go over the X FPS cap!“ kind of attention that paralyzed the Steam community forums for like a year). Even if you don't like the gameplay the OST might be worth giving a try, it's really good and made by the same guy who did the soundtrack for It Follows.
That guy, Disasterpiece, also made the soundtrack to FEZ. Think of Phil Fish what you will, but the soundtrack was spectacular, easily in my top 5 of all time. There's a few nice talks on video where he goes into some of the magic sauce going into his work.

Turd Herder posted:

I'm excited for the sale. Whats the 1 game you all seem to be waiting to buy this sale?
My wishlist on Steam has grown to about 40 over the years almost just as many unplayed ones already in my library. Some, like Fallout: New Vegas, Kingdoms of Amalur or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines have been on that wishlist for years. Since I am trying to "finish" my queue of PS3 games to finally get into PS4 and PC games, I steered clear of purchases over the last 12 or 18 months of sales, but think I am also going to pick up a max. 20h game this sale. Either going to be Hyper Light Drifter or Hollow Knight, which without this thread would have never been on my radar. Thanks you jerks!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Cowcaster posted:

to be fair they haven't made a good game since 2004 who's to say they'd be able to knock off that layer of rust

um dota 2, hello

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Reality Winner posted:

um dota 2, hello

I rest my case

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kragger99 posted:

It's easier said then done, but if you can group your wanted games into one of the following categories, only buy the ones in the first category this sale, and buy the ones in the second during the winter sale:
1. "I'm definitely going to play this within the next 6 months!!!"
2. "I really want to play this, but not sure that I'll get to it in the next 6 months"
Huh. I've got 35 games on my wishlist. 20 or so are games I fully intend to play, 10 or so are just... there... and exactly one game that I intend to play the moment I get it.

(It's the first game on the wishlist, because I obsessively adjust said wishlist to account for how much I want the play each game)

Too Shy Guy posted:

Man, I keep buying the latest highly-recommended metrovidania, only to rediscover that I suck at platforming and platformer combat.

StrixNebulosa posted:

G2A and the russian mafia, basically. Yes, they were losing that much money.
But those sell KEYS, and have asolutely nothing to do with the lovely new gifting restrctions?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 22, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xander77 posted:

But those sell KEYS, and have asolutely nothing to do with the lovely new gifting restrctions?

They also sell games gifted through the inventory!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Can't wait to see what lackluster event Steam is doing this year. They phone it in more and more with each successive sale.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

super sweet best pal posted:

Can't wait to see what lackluster event Steam is doing this year. They phone it in more and more with each successive sale.
It was already datamined:

https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/877505316920987648

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
what time does it start usually?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

fuf posted:

The sale starts at 10AM PST (Valve local time), or in about 4.5 hours from now.
The store's functionality usually starts about 1.5 hours after that, as it NEVER can manage the traffic.
The thread will be inundated with pages and pages of posts complaining the store's not up, and also a sprinkling of posts mocking Gaben spending too much $ on knives/hamburgers and not enough on store page servers.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
10 4 roger that good buddy

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

404 roger that good buddy

FTFY

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
404 then login to roger goodbuddy's account instead of yours

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

fuf posted:

It's worth noting as well that usually the discounts are rolled in, certain games won't be showing their discount price until like an hour in.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Plebian Parasite posted:

It's worth noting as well that usually the discounts are rolled in, certain games won't be showing their discount price until like an hour in.

Yeah, please don't be the "these sales suck" guy who didn't know this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Antti posted:

Yeah, please don't be the "these sales suck" guy who didn't know this.

I'm prepared to say that regardless because I've just emerged from a 5-year coma where flash deals no longer exist.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Unless there's a beneficial pricing error, wait for an hour or two before buying anything.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
This sale I'm looking out for

Hollow Knight
Bomb Squad Academy
Resident Evil 7
Rust
Thimbleweed park

But my wish list has grown to over 70 from browsing and goon recommendations. So well see.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://my.mixtape.moe/pgvnga.webm

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hopper posted:

Here's an easy tip for you and anyone else who wants to manage their spending.

Do not buy single player games that have DLC but are not available as complete/goty edition yet.

While that's good advice I don't know why you crossed out Rise of the Tomb Raider, because that has all of its content bundled? The Dishonored 2 situation is also weird due to the expansion being standalone (though they've already put up [non-flex, because they're loving Bethesda] bundles) and the base game has been hella cheap multiple times already, so who cares?

I'm probably going to hoover up a bunch of cheapo indie games and not much else unless there's a sick deal on Dishonored 2 or Prey or something. My backlog has reached insane levels, and this is 1-2 years out from when I pledged to slow the gently caress down and actually play some games. I blame Humble Monthly and getting suckered into multiplayer stuff. Also the part where I never actually got around to playing many games.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The work I needed done on my car was $200 less than I budgeted for, so I guess it's time to make some FRIVOLOUS PURCHASES later :woop:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I just want to buy the entire indie catalogue for $0.20.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*Bane voice*
Perhaps they are wondering you'd buy a game before throwing it out of a plane?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Craptacular! posted:

My "one game" would probably be either Elite Dangerous, Hollow Knight, or Binding of Issac (which was on sale for $11 with expansion recently).

Turd Herder posted:

But my wish list has grown to over 70 from browsing and goon recommendations. So well see.

Mine is 300+

strategery fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No Man's Sky is available under £15 on console, but even cdkeys only have it at £39 on PC.

If it goes under £20, I'm in to that. Yes, I know it's not what people were expecting, but it sounds like it's exactly what I was expecting. I just didn't have a good enough PC until 2 months ago.

• Locked thread