Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

il_cornuto posted:

Showed up briefly as 50% off (£7.49) for me.

Yeah you are right, its 50% off for $10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

The "new" Torment is -50%, not sure about buying though...

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I noticed Sniper Elite 3 for $6, which seems pretty great for a recent well-regarded game.

EDIT: Ha, whoops. I was thinking 3 was the new one, didn't realize it was 4.

I liked 3 better than I did 4, so I say get in there, bubba.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Thanks Activision

I am tempted to grab Mafia III, but not like I have time to play it now, and it will probably be on sale even cheaper near the end of the year, which is probably when I'd get to play it. Everything else I'd want to play is either not on sale yet (Total War Warhammer, Xcom 2) or isn't cheap enough for me to buy (Tyranny, Torment)

It will only get cheaper, so hold off for now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Antti posted:

Because I'm getting nothing but error pages as is typical?

Ah, I see. No errors on my end but I do have to refresh a few times before a page loads.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Cue the anticipation followed by the wet fart sound that stands in for Valve never getting their poo poo together.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

these sales suck.

Kidding. I'm surprised Hollow Knight is a third off already. May pick that up and never play it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Cue the anticipation followed by the wet fart sound that stands in for Valve never getting their poo poo together.

Hey it's not a sale if Steam isn't making GBS threads the bed!

e: Since it is, updated list for those impatient goons

• Shovel Knight 20% off - $20
  • Hyper Light Drifter 50% off - $10
  • Dishonored 1 (Not GOTY) 75% off - $2.5
  • Dishonored 1 (GOTY) 50% off - $10
  • Dishonored 2 50% off - $20
  • Prey 34% off - $39.99
  • Cryptark 25% - $11.24
  • Nex Machina 20% off - $16
  • Resident Evil 7 40% off - $36
  • Yooka Laylee 25% off - $30
  • Everspace 20% off - $24
  • Night in the Woods 10% off? - $18?
  • Full Bore 75% off - $3.74
  • What Remains of Edith Finch 25% off - $15
  • Hitman Complete Bundle 66% off - $23.74
  • Hollow Knight 34% off - $9.9
  • Tyranny 50% off - $22.5
  • Shadowruns (All, Dragonfall, ) 75% off - $5
  • Salt and Sanctuary 40% off - $10.8
  • Obduction 33% off - $20
  • SUPERHOT 40% off - $15
  • Dead Cells 15% off - $14.44
  • Alwas Awakening 25% off - $7.50
  • Black Mesa 60% off - $8
  • Assasins Creed (ALL) 50% off - $10 (Everything except) | $20 (Unity/ Syndicate)
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer 80% off - $3
  • Metro 2033 / Last Light Redux 75% off - $5
  • Doom 4 50% off - $15
  • Wolfenstein TNO / TOB 50% off - $10 (ea)
  • Space Pirate and Zombies 2 35% - $13
  • Satellite Reign 80% off - $4.2

e: Added more x3 and I'm done listing everything I think is worth taking a look at. Need to actually get back to work. Feel free to quote and add other games

btw a lot of these are real bad but w/e, take your pick. some are good.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 22, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even if I'm not going to buy much I still loving LOVE Steam sales for window shopping because I think I am an idiot.

I have no loving interest in some lovely Romance Of the Three Kingdoms game but I love that it's on sale!

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

Dishonored 2 50% off - $20

:eyepop:

thats the good poo poo

now to wait till steam actually lets me buy it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bolivar posted:

The "new" Torment is -50%, not sure about buying though...

I've heard so many varied opinions on that but they basically boil down to pretty solid spiritual successor but the game writing made it clear what is the 'correct' path despite being offered choices.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Alright, I haven't kept track of the way sales work for the past couple of years.

I know Steam doesn't do dailies anymore, but is there any reason to hold off on a game at 40% now, because someone else is going to make it -80% tomorrow?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Avasculous posted:

Alright, I haven't kept track of the way sales work for the past couple of years.

I know Steam doesn't do dailies anymore, but is there any reason to hold off on a game at 40% now, because someone else is going to make it -80% tomorrow?

Nope! Buy buy buy buy now now now.

Won't get any cheaper. What you see is what you get

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Will the "Steam servers are down" posts be more or less annoying than the "here's my haul" screenshots this sale?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Are there no 80% games off? Wtf 50% there's always someone selling it for 50%.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Avasculous posted:

If you really care about saving a few bucks you might wait since there will probably be a couple of humble bundles between now and when the sale ends.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm glad I set a game budget for myself over a year ago, it'll keep things in order.

(It's no more than $30 or one game a month, whichever is higher. DLC and Humble Bundles don't generally count. The ceiling is raised to $60 during Steam Sales.)

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

Nope! Buy buy buy buy now now now.

Won't get any cheaper. What you see is what you get

Thanks. In that case, can anyone comment on Civilization VI for 40% off?

I know the AI is supposed to be atrocious, but I want to play MP with a friend.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Far Cry: Primal is $25, further cementing the Steam sale's status as completely redundant in today's marketplace.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
I'm getting a fun overloaded server bug where I can see all the games, but none of them are listed with any discount. I'll probably pick up Torment and DH2 once things calm down a bit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I own over 1000 games in steam and by 2019 I'd like to own 2000

Let me tell you about bundles

(I own like 3000 games and play like 3 hours per week now). I spend significantly more time just reading the steam thread and thinking about how great it will be to one day have free time I can spend playing video games.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^^^ Do NOT buy Mafia III.

Conversely, do buy it, if it interests you and the price is right.

It's pretty janky and repetitive, but the shooting is fun and the soundtrack, atmosphere, and writing are all pretty on point. It's a AA game with AAA aspirations and should've probably been marketed and priced as such, but it's not without merit.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

La Fin Du Mondale posted:

I'm getting a fun overloaded server bug where I can see all the games, but none of them are listed with any discount. I'll probably pick up Torment and DH2 once things calm down a bit.

That's actually the 2017 sale, no discounts since they figured people would buy anyway.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Far cry primal sucks, blood dragon is where it's at!!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Avasculous posted:

Thanks. In that case, can anyone comment on Civilization VI for 40% off?

I know the AI is supposed to be atrocious, but I want to play MP with a friend.

A good game for a good price. Make sure to pick up the popular UI mod though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some indie deals

lasercat 49c
rochard 99c
rot gut 99c
carrie's order up $1.49
the bug butcher $2.39
milkmaid of the milky way $3
standby $3.19
sylvio $3.24
deathtrap $4
submerged $4
pharaoh rebirth $4
her majesty's spiffing $5
clandestine $5
bunker punks $5
mainlining $5
stories untold $5
kero blaster $6
the magic circle $6
dead secret $6
the tenth line $6.69
enter the gungeon $7.49
sublevel zero $7.49
amber throne $7.49
bleed 2 $8
mekazoo $8
odyssey the next generation science game $9
anima gate of memories $10
hive jump $10
cosmic star heroine $12
the signal from tolva $14
owlboy $17
atelier sophie $21

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 22, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

mike12345 posted:

Are there no 80% games off? Wtf 50% there's always someone selling it for 50%.

Well see a couple of years ago Valve figured out that players really hated logging in every day to check for dailies, so now we just have smaller, flat discounts for 2 weeks straight which is much better because

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's pretty janky and repetitive, but the shooting is fun and the soundtrack, atmosphere, and writing are all pretty on point. It's a AA game with AAA aspirations and should've probably been marketed and priced as such, but it's not without merit.

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of the series, but even at its discounted price I don't think Mafia III is worth it. The story missions are far too few and far apart, they're not the usual showpieces they've been in previous games, and 90% of the game is the standard open world cleanup poo poo you'd do for achievement hunting in any other game.

That said, if its sale price is low enough for your "just to see" qualifications, buy it. But I sincerely do not believe it's a game you should EVER play at ANY price. You can spend that money elsewhere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Is Square-Enix doing something fishy with their prices or has Final Fantasy IX always inexplicably been 20.99? :raise:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Avasculous posted:

Well see a couple of years ago Valve figured out that players really hated logging in every day to check for dailies, so now we just have smaller, flat discounts for 2 weeks straight which is much better because

I still think it's refunds wot did them in.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

John Murdoch posted:

Is Square-Enix doing something fishy with their prices or has Final Fantasy IX always inexplicably been 20.99? :raise:

Been that way since April 2016.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Far cry primal sucks, blood dragon is where it's at!!

Ah right, ignore my previous post on primal, I was thinking of blood dragon. I think I'm gonna reinstall that and play it again this weekend.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Mung Dynasty posted:

Agreed on all counts. I'd give it like a 7.5.

My one serious complaint is the lack of quick travel. Nothing annoys me more than a game that doesn't respect a player's time.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Antti posted:

A good game for a good price. Make sure to pick up the popular UI mod though.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Antti posted:

You're probably right, but it seems like it would have been easier to just forbid refunds mid-sale.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Avasculous posted:

You're probably right, but it seems like it would have been easier to just forbid refunds mid-sale.

Or allow them but disable the option to buy the game again for 2~weeks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Imo they hosed up Mafia 3 as badly as Mafia 2 but in different ways. It's like they noted the criticizm that there was nothing to do in the previous game outside of the main missions so they developed the side content and...forgot to create the main missions. Fuckng hell man. I still enjoyed the game as much as I enjoyed Mafia 2 but there was a lot of groaning at the screen.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

How about driving games? I don't have a wheel but I played the heck out of Colin McRae Rally back in the day. I'm looking at Project Cars, Dirt Rally and F1 2016. I've played Dirt 3 and quite liked it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Antti posted:

You could still do daily sales though even with refunds.

All they would need to do is not discount the game until it's the daily, do the 80% off for 12 hours or whatever and then put it at 50% off the rest of the sale. Problem solved.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Dirt Rally does only one thing and does it INCREDIBLY well. CARs does lots of things very well but it's a little rough to get into for my tastes. It felt like it's aimed at those who have been doing it for years and doesn't teach newcomers very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Mafia III is probably the only open world game I've finished just to see where the story went. The music, characters and acting are so loving good; but as Palpek says I was just groaning every time they sent me on another samey sidemission just to progress the main quest.

• Locked thread