Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DaveKap posted:

From what I understand as a person who is sorta on the periphery of the industry (it's a long story) the biggest problem is that marketing and PR (at large companies) are typically business departments that merely pretend to understand what it is video game hobbyists actually want but probably actually understand what mainstream video game buyers want. They rely on focus groups, owned IP, and science to pump out media that is supposed to guarantee sales to the broadest market possible which, oddly, doesn't include you or me. It's entirely possible that they purposely showed off an underwhelming Doom because they knew reviewers were going to be caught off guard which would boost their scores due to (a thing I've talked about somewhere else before) expectation-based reviewing.

In other words, what you and I consider bad marketing may have actually been better than what you and I consider good marketing; we just wouldn't know because we 1: Aren't the mainstream and 2: Aren't sociology majors.
I don't agree. The "genius" Bethesda marketing division didn't lately successfully sell 2 games with their brilliant misleading sales tactics. They sold 1 game and utterly failed to sell the 2nd. They simply badly marketed 2 great games where one ended up reviewing and selling well only because it represented a famous brand and lived up to its legacy while the second game ended up selling poorly because it referred to the ultimately wrong, weak and forgotten brand (Prey), didn't use the actually strong brand the legacy which it represented (System Shock) and offered experience too niche for the target broad market it was marketted for. Doom was successful despite the marketing's failures because everybody knows Doom and the game was good enough to live up to it. Prey didn't have that luck.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had no interest in Prey and no idea it had anything to do with Arkane or System Shock style gameplay. I found out way later. Now I'm interested! (when did it come out...)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Humble Monthly's preview games just showed up and they're NBA 2k17 and Pillars of Eternity, which is an interesting combo.

$12 gets you those plus some mystery games in a month.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Palpek posted:

I don't agree. The "genius" Bethesda marketing division didn't lately successfully sell 2 games with their brilliant misleading sales tactics. They sold 1 game and utterly failed to sell the 2nd. They simply badly marketed 2 great games where one ended up reviewing and selling well only because it represented a famous brand and lived up to its legacy while the second game ended up selling poorly because it referred to the ultimately wrong, weak and forgotten brand (Prey), didn't use the actually strong brand the legacy which it represented (System Shock) and offered experience too niche for the target broad market it was marketted for. Doom was successful despite the marketing's failures because everybody knows Doom and the game was good enough to live up to it. Prey didn't have that luck.

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

I do think that DOOM's success is due to a slingshot effect as the industry at large did a sudden about-face on the game, but that's not really a reproducible model given its unique circumstances (an iconic IP whose last release was pretty poorly received)

Prey didn't enjoy this same effect because it's not an iconic brand - it's not even a bad brand, because worse that that, it's a nothing brand. It either conjures up nothing in your head or vague memories of a native american fighting aliens

I don't know, I'm not in business, but from an outsider's perspective it feels more like Bethesda Mr. Magoo'd their way into success with DOOM

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This month rewarded me for not buying Hyperlight Drifter yet and marking Galactic Civilizations III 'not interested.'

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

I do think that DOOM's success is due to a slingshot effect as the industry at large did a sudden about-face on the game, but that's not really a reproducible model given its unique circumstances (an iconic IP whose last release was pretty poorly received)

Prey didn't enjoy this same effect because it's not an iconic brand - it's not even a bad brand, because worse that that, it's a nothing brand. It either conjures up nothing in your head or vague memories of a native american fighting aliens

I don't know, I'm not in business, but from an outsider's perspective it feels more like Bethesda Mr. Magoo'd their way into success with DOOM

I'm not entirely sure that Doom was even a huge financial success. It's got a pretty good numbers on Steam, but that's after some pretty deep discounts not long after release.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also let's not forget that Bethesda clearly thought Doom's multiplayer was going to be the next big thing and bankrolled all that DLC for it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Every time I see doom taking up 90 gig I want to delete it, don't care how good it is supposed to be.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

kater posted:

Every time I see doom taking up 90 gig I want to delete it, don't care how good it is supposed to be.

Hey now, it's only 78.5

It's also super good.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

kater posted:

Worth it.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Humble Monthly's preview games just showed up and they're NBA 2k17 and Pillars of Eternity, which is an interesting combo.

$12 gets you those plus some mystery games in a month.

Don't have pillars so hell yeah. How long is it?

John Murdoch posted:

Also let's not forget that Bethesda clearly thought Doom's multiplayer was going to be the next big thing and bankrolled all that DLC for it.

Sigh. I would much rather have a single player expansion. I played multiplayer for 12 hours or so and max leveled. It's not bad. It's just it what I wanted dlc to focus on.

strategery fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 8, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

strategery posted:

Don't have pillars so hell yeah. How long is it?

I've got about 65 hours logged and I've only done the one play through. Could do it much quicker if you skip side content, could take longer if you want to do as much as possible.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

kater posted:

The Hidden Cost of Steam or: Why I Bought a 6TB Drive.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Hidden Cost of Steam or: Why I Bought a 6TB Drive.

Now that comcast is capping everyone's usage, i can see the value in this. i didn't give a poo poo before because I could have a 50 gb game downloaded in easily under an hour

tho to be honest i have no time to replay games ever so w/e. but i've considered buying another 3TB or so harddrive so i dont have to redownload big poo poo like doom (which i did uninstall)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I bought Rise of the Argonaughts. and it's a pretty drat fun, if a little janky game. Really surprised with it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Is death road to canada worth it around 10 euros? Definitely going in on NBA2K17 for 12 bucks. Heard the career mode is fun, and there aren't a lot of good sports games on pc. At least not until super mega baseball 2 comes out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ilmucche posted:

Is death road to canada worth it around 10 euros? Definitely going in on NBA2K17 for 12 bucks. Heard the career mode is fun, and there aren't a lot of good sports games on pc. At least not until super mega baseball 2 comes out.

Yes. The gameplay is solid, and there's tons of replayability, plus the devs have been adding new stuff like crazy lately.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Palpek posted:

Ultimately I think Prey's branding, which I agree was what most led to its weak sales (as much credit as I give marketing, they aren't the sole saviors or failures when it comes to game sales,) happened because someone outside of marketing made the decision to co-opt a former IP in order to make it seem like the game was a sequel. You know, that one attribute that apparently makes a game sell more than usual. :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if marketing saw what happened and disagreed that it was a good idea, as their foresight over such things were being guessed at by an executive trying to look smart. Maybe that executive is the Founder/President of Arkane Studios who had to resign after Prey sales were so bad. I don't really know but I wouldn't be surprised.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Anyone know of any fun action RPGs on sale that natively support controllers?

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

grim dawn says it has full controller support but ive never tried it

e: wait, on sale. welp.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
I didn't specify, but I guess I was looking for both native controller support and Goon-played Seal of Approval :)

I tried out Grim Dawn actually and the controller support was a little janky, there was some basic function like talking or choosing dialogue options that didn't work properly, but maybe they've fixed it up.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Zathril posted:

Huh, I remember playing this as a flash game tears ago, does the steam version add anything?

i'm not sure, there are "freshman trial" and "later story" modes apart from "normal game", and you do have the option of playing it in Chinese.

The sequel (Cube Hotel) is also available on Steam as well.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hampig posted:

Anyone know of any fun action RPGs on sale that natively support controllers?

So far my list is:
Victor Vran
Buy a PS4 and Diablo 3

By action RPG, do you mean "Diablo-like"? There's a lot of action RPGs that support controllers fine

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

DaveKap posted:

Ultimately I think Prey's branding, which I agree was what most led to its weak sales (as much credit as I give marketing, they aren't the sole saviors or failures when it comes to game sales,) happened because someone outside of marketing made the decision to co-opt a former IP in order to make it seem like the game was a sequel. You know, that one attribute that apparently makes a game sell more than usual. :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if marketing saw what happened and disagreed that it was a good idea, as their foresight over such things were being guessed at by an executive trying to look smart. Maybe that executive is the Founder/President of Arkane Studios who had to resign after Prey sales were so bad. I don't really know but I wouldn't be surprised.

Wouldn't we hear about this somewhere, though? Or maybe it's not big enough news, not sure. I haven't heard any news of anyone having to leave because of Prey yet.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 8, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Xaris posted:

Now that comcast is capping everyone's usage,

I'm not seeing a cap anywhere on my account nor did they send any notification about one being added. :confused:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A lot of providers in the US have stealth added a 1TB cap. I'm on Cox Communications and, though they don't throttle bandwidth, they've had no limits in the past and have been better than anyone else. Except they too have added a 1TB cap which I had to go investigating to discover I had. It sucks because DOOM is 90Gb, Forza 6 is allegedly 100Gb, any modern game is ~30Gb...

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not seeing a cap anywhere on my account nor did they send any notification about one being added. :confused:

For Comcast Go to Devices it's usually in there near the bottom with the bar graph of data usage over the past few months.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Stardew valley is on sale, definitely pick that up if you don't already have it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i felt doom 2 was kind of exhausting. i mean doom 1 is long, but doom 2 is gigantic. Too many labyrinthine city stages imo.

Sure. Okay. Yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfCTIwZCJI

Also I forgot to actually buy games during the big sale so I picked up Shadows of Mordor and Hollow Knight from the sales that are on now. Silly me.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Arivia posted:

Sure. Okay. Yeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfCTIwZCJI

Also I forgot to actually buy games during the big sale so I picked up Shadows of Mordor and Hollow Knight from the sales that are on now. Silly me.

You're me. I got the same two in the same way.

But then I downloaded BallisticNG and haven't played much else.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Anybody who missed out when Dead Cells had the bigger drops before, it's currently on sale at Nuuvem for 15% off, plus you can get an additional 20% off from there with discount code SORRYGABE. I just picked it up and the total was $11.52 USD.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Downs Duck posted:

Wouldn't we hear about this somewhere, though? Or maybe it's not big enough news, not sure. I haven't heard any news of anyone having to leave because of Prey yet.
Yeah, you'd hear about it in the news.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/27/15881164/arkane-studios-founder-leaves-studio-raphael-colantonio

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Thank you. And good if that's the reason why he left.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

duckfarts posted:

By action RPG, do you mean "Diablo-like"? There's a lot of action RPGs that support controllers fine

Oh yeah of course :doh: But yes, diablo-like is what I meant.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone have anything to say about my picks from the Humble Store sale before I go ahead and pull the trigger?

Monstrum
TIS-100
Space Pirates and Zombies
Hammerwatch
Eldritch
A.I. War Collection
Sproggiwood

$21.98

Any recommendations/words of caution appreciated.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chobayt posted:

Anyone have anything to say about my picks from the Humble Store sale before I go ahead and pull the trigger?

Monstrum
TIS-100
Hammerwatch
Eldritch
A.I. War Collection
Sproggiwood

$21.98

Sproggiwood is 100% A+ good, enjoy it!

TIS-100 meanwhile - read the manual first. Please read the manual before buying this game. If it's still looking good, go for it. If not, uh, don't be me and assume that you'll figure it out as you go along. No. It wants you to really learn what it's doing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chobayt posted:

Monstrum
TIS-100
Hammerwatch
Eldritch
A.I. War Collection
Sproggiwood

$21.98

I did not like Hammerwatch orr Eldritch. They're... certainly games.. but not particularly amazing or worth playing unlesss you have shittons of free tiem and theres' better games to play. Caveat is certainly get Hammerwatch if you have people to co-op with because any game with co-op is inherently good.

Sproggiwood and SPAZ are p solid choice. I dunno about the rest

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sproggiwood is great but it's good to know that it is more on the puzzle side of Roguelikes. So if you don't want that, well, buy it anyway and then get Caves of Qud, too. Or if you want a sprawling adventure one get Dungeonmans or try out TOME for free.

TIS-100 was one of my favorite games last year (and favorite puzzle game in a year where I played Mole Mania) and I'm still kicking myself I got to a certain point near the end and ended it after getting stuck for a few days. Now I've been wanting to go back but just can't find the time! I think the usual retail price is too high (not in the quality way, in the horrible cheap goon way) and I got it as a gift from that one bundle, but it hasn't been bundled since and this is actually one of the deeper sales for it. I'm not anything close to a programmer but I did appreciate some of the logic classes and first year programming classes I took. Besides reading the manual you might want to spoil some of the earlier puzzles and see if it's for you.

Agree on passing Hammerwatch, I played it in co-op and it just felt like a bad fan Gauntlet game. I was up to try their Serious Sam one just because but apparently despite showing couch co-op they hadn't added it yet on release.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Chobayt posted:

A.I. War Collection

AI War is a great game I got many hours of play out of. I have a couple concerns to point out, however. It is entirely playable in single player, but the goon community pretty much died of old age, twice. If you want to co-op, you'll have to find some pubbies.

And God help you if you try to play without voice chat: the text messages won't show up at all on the galaxy view, iirc. There is no matchmaking either, which means you've got some organizing to do.

If you want the co-op I can give you some advice from my time hosting for goons, but I would be quite happy with SP until AI War 2 comes out and revives the community if Arcen manages better netcode after nine years of experience.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Yes. I bought it during the steam sale and have about 8 hours in it over the course of a few days, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Chobayt posted:

Monstrum
TIS-100
Hammerwatch
Eldritch
A.I. War Collection
Sproggiwood

$21.98

TIS-100 is great but I clicked with the followup, Shenzhen IO a lot more. I mean, they are both puzzle games that involve writing assembly language code so, uhh, only buy them if that appeals to you in some way. I find them awesome.

Sproggiwood is a cute as hell roguelike made by a goon. Their other game is "Caves of Qud" if you want something grittier but they're both quite good.

• Locked thread