Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Salt and Sanctuary is not great, honestly. So many of the mechanics are just Dark Souls with a slightly different shade of paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Oh, hey, Neo ATLAS is on sale... I'm actually really pleased about that. I've had that on my wishlist for a while.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Zore posted:

What is wrong with Gearbox?

I have never bought any of their poo poo or paid any attention to them.

Lots. Borderlands' art style is 100% lifted from a guy Gearbox contacted about a job (but was never hired). They later stole more art by copy + pasting some Olly Moss work in Borderlands 2's packaging.

The face of their company is Randy Pitchford, a skeezy video game used car salesman who funneled Sega money intended for the development of their Alien game into other projects. He repeatedly stated the Alien game was a passion project for Gearbox, then when it came out and was thoroughly awful he said it was actually outsourced, and threw the outside studios under the bus.

He later saw the popularity of people getting horny over Overwatch characters and tried to drum up interest in Battleborn by pointing out that some people had drawn erotic fan art for the game. That's not especially terrible, but it is pathetic and represents how he runs the company.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gort posted:

Gonna buy Total War: Warhammer as I have 107 hours on a friend's copy, Prey and the three Stalker games.

$10 for all 3 STALKER games is an unbelievable steal. If you finish all 3 and want more, look up Call of Chernobyl. Or any of the thousands of other mods out there really, there's a load up to and including whole new games (Lost Alpha).

I'm currently trying to buy Hollow Knight and Steam hates me for it :(

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

strategery posted:

#Refined my list. I want to spend $30 max with no more than $15 per game.

Sublevel Zero ------------ 7.50
Enter the Gungeon --------- 7.50
Salt and Sanctuary -------- 11.00
Hyperlight Drifter -------- 10.00
Dead Cells ---------------- 14.50 (not really that on sale though)
Snake Pass ---------------- 10.00
Song of the Deep ----------- 3.75
Hollow Knight --------------10.00

Seems like the consensus is Hollow Knight (which had a demo in a humble monthly but once i realized I got a demo for the monthly, i ignored it.) and Hyperlight Drifter. The 3rd game is up in the air. To me, it seems like an even split between Salt and Sanctuary and Gungeon. Might just bite the bullet and get dead cells for 5 more than i plnaned.

Also Lode Runner Legacy has an official Steam Page! Yay! Summer release :D

Get Gungeon, man. It's the fuckin' greatest. It'll keep you interested for a super long time. I've got almost 150 hours played and I still haven't seen some of the weapons. It's good.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I haven't really bought anything on steam sales in a couple of years. Are we still supposed to hold out for a 75% discount or is 50% the lowest they will go nowadays?

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Oh, hey, Neo ATLAS is on sale... I'm actually really pleased about that. I've had that on my wishlist for a while.

Interested to know if it's worth it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Lots. Borderlands' art style is 100% lifted from a guy Gearbox contacted about a job (but was never hired). They later stole more art by copy + pasting some Olly Moss work in Borderlands 2's packaging.

The face of their company is Randy Pitchford, a skeezy video game used car salesman who funneled Sega money intended for the development of their Alien game into other projects. He repeatedly stated the Alien game was a passion project for Gearbox, then when it came out and was thoroughly awful he said it was actually outsourced, and threw the outside studios under the bus.

He later saw the popularity of people getting horny over Overwatch characters and tried to drum up interest in Battleborn by pointing out that some people had drawn erotic fan art for the game. That's not especially terrible, but it is pathetic and represents how he runs the company.

Not to mention:
-Pre Sequel was a garbage cash in with the lowest effort possible and nothing much redeeming about it (and I actually liked Borderlands 2!)
-Buying up IPs like Homeworld just to dump em out since they can't make a good game themselves
-Buying up Bulletstorm IP, removing the old $5 version from Steam and putting in their own "Full Clip Edition" which now costs $40 real earth dollars, and all they did was add a Duke Nukem skin or something stupid. Bulletstorm is too good of a game to let Gearbox put their grimy paws all over it
-Partnering with noted russian-mafia Steam key scamsite, G2A to "presale" noted Bulletstorm Full Clip

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ineptitude posted:

I haven't really bought anything on steam sales in a couple of years. Are we still supposed to hold out for a 75% discount or is 50% the lowest they will go nowadays?

You are supposed to just wait for it to be in a humble bundle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ineptitude posted:

They don't do daily or flash sales any more. What you see is what you get now.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

kater posted:

You are supposed to just wait for it to be in a humble bundle.
I was tempted by Gungeon but it screams humble bundle game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

There are no longer changing discounts from day to day. What you see now is as steep as it will be for the sale.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
GODDAMMIT I REALLY WANT Resident Evil 7 right now! But it's still $60 on sale and it's going to kill my wallet for sure. Any chance will this go lower or do I have to wait it out next year?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Junior Jr. posted:

GODDAMMIT I REALLY WANT Resident Evil 7 right now! But it's still $60 on sale and it's going to kill my wallet for sure. Any chance will this go lower or do I have to wait it out next year?

It's on sale for $36 dude

Steam checkout is a little wonky losing prices but just wait a few hours for it to settle

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks!

Its still ~$50 at 50% discount, not sure i want it that badly

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
Are there any really highly recommended multiplayer (online coop) games on sale? My friend and I are lookin' for a new game. We've played stuff like Stellaris, Terraria, Factorio and Don't Starve Together and all that already and enjoyed them.

too much dead rat
Nov 7, 2009

You think you're looking at me through some window, when all you're really doing is looking in a mirror.
People who have played the RE7 dlc, is it worth getting at all? It feels really light but I loved the first half of that game so much I'd be willing to shell out for some spooky atmospheric side stories but I felt the everything after you find the ship was so middling that I'm a little wary.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

atholbrose posted:

I'd like to know if it's worth it too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I know Steam doesn't do the daily deals thing where discount changes anymore, but is the stuff that's on sale today going to be the only sales through the whole event?

Or will other things go on sale later?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
What was the third quest today to get stickers? I completed the discovery queue and I altered my display preferences. It says I have one more to complete but it's no longer listed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ragequit posted:

What was the third quest today to get stickers? I completed the discovery queue and I altered my display preferences. It says I have one more to complete but it's no longer listed.

View your friends' activity

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Junior Jr. posted:

If you have the chance to play RE7 in VR, do it. I have never been the same when it comes to horror games now. It was SO intense.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

All the Pinball FX tables are on sale, some of them at 75% discount. Grabbed Balls of Glory, was looking forward to that one.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ragequit posted:

Mine was "Look at your friend activity page," which has been completely blank for me today. I had to go over to the other pages in the sticker book to find my third pack.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

my back pages posted:

Are there any really highly recommended multiplayer (online coop) games on sale? My friend and I are lookin' for a new game. We've played stuff like Stellaris, Terraria, Factorio and Don't Starve Together and all that already and enjoyed them.

Broforce is $3.74 if you haven't played it. It's not really similar to any of the games you listed, but it's definitely worth the current asking price, even if you can 100% it in 10-11 hours. Hammerwatch is $2. A friend and I played through both of the campaigns and it took about 21 hours. They're both pretty good games with good online co-op. Risk of Rain is $2.49 and has a great soundtrack, but I don't think its coop is quite as good as the previous two games--we had some syncing issues here and there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

How does this still happen every single time

Even if Valve wasn't Valve, it's hardly worth trying to fight for more servers/bandwidth for however many finite hours the store gets jammed up on day one before largely chilling out.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

mike12345 posted:

All the Pinball FX tables are on sale, some of them at 75% discount. Grabbed Balls of Glory, was looking forward to that one.

Personally, I'd give that a pass, even if each table is less than a buck. If you picked up the Humble Zen Bundles a couple or so years ago, they covered about 75% of all the DLC.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This sale is trash and why the gently caress can Valve never get their servers working every year.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

View your friends' activity

Speaking of the friends' activity page, mine used to display everything (achievements, friend purchases, etc) neatly, day by day. As of ~2 weeks ago it's been displaying everything from the past several months in a huge unreadable dump. It's not the worst problem in the world, but is there anything I can do to fix it?

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Broforce is $3.74 if you haven't played it. It's not really similar to any of the games you listed, but it's definitely worth the current asking price, even if you can 100% it in 10-11 hours. Hammerwatch is $2. A friend and I played through both of the campaigns and it took about 21 hours. They're both pretty good games with good online co-op. Risk of Rain is $2.49 and has a great soundtrack, but I don't think its coop is quite as good as the previous two games--we had some syncing issues here and there.

Thanks!

We played Broforce and found it was a bit "much." We played Hammerwatch as well and found it neat enough. We've never played Risk of Rain--I'll check it out!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ijyt posted:

This sale is trash and why the gently caress can Valve never get their servers working every year.

Because a massive spike that lasts a few hours twice a year isn't worth buy new servers for?

Like that would be an insane use of resources from any cost/benefit analysis.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

my back pages posted:

Resident evil 5 & 6 are terrific coop games if you are in to laughing your rear end off at ridiculously dumb things. A bit different from those other games though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

my back pages posted:

Thanks!

We played Broforce and found it was a bit "much." We played Hammerwatch as well and found it neat enough. We've never played Risk of Rain--I'll check it out!

Risk of Rain is definitely harder than both of the other games. Depending on what you found to be a bit much about Broforce, it might be even worse for you, since it gets really hectic in later levels. Are there any coop games you've played recently that you've enjoyed? I'm basically in the same boat as you.

edit: Xaris, I thought the same thing for the first few hours of playing, but after my friend and I got more comfortable with the game, we could occasionally split up and ransack the entirety of each level before having to worry about making it to the exit. A lot of your freedom does depend on item luck, though. I don't think the time limit is that bad, and as someone who also enjoys chilling and just exploring games, I could still enjoy Risk of Rain.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 22, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

my back pages posted:

Thanks!

Honestly Risk of Reign is not a good game. It punishes you heavily for taking your time and chilling out exploring things and makes it so you just have to rush the exits for the most part or else you get swarmed and die. If you like a game where you can take your time, avoid it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got Superhot, YDKJ Vol. 1 (nostalgia!), Catlateral Damage for the fiance, and Crosscells. Still waiting on Subnautica and a few others to leave EA because gently caress that. That saves fifteen bucks in my wallet for XCOM 2!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xaris posted:

Honestly Risk of Reign is not a good game. It punishes you heavily for taking your time and chilling out exploring things and makes it so you just have to rush the exits for the most part or else you get swarmed and die. If you like a game where you can take your time, avoid it

Oy oy oy, learn to chill as you play it. As long as you keep moving you'll do just fine. And remember that you are supposed to die a lot of the time, it's part of its charm!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

That's sorta the entire point of the game though, it's definitely not a chill game and the random nature means you'll die by the third level on like 95% of Monsoon runs. But if you get the right items and play smart you can usually become an unkillable* God fairly quickly.

*you will still probably die when the game spawns like 15 bosses on top of you at once

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just checking a couple of things, is Valve no longer doing flash sales or daily deals?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Junior Jr. posted:

Personally, I'd give that a pass, even if each table is less than a buck. If you picked up the Humble Zen Bundles a couple or so years ago, they covered about 75% of all the DLC.

Well I didn't buy that, and now its cheaper. Unless you mean going to russian key sites and buying the humble pack from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

Just checking a couple of things, is Valve no longer doing flash sales or daily deals?

No, they haven't for years now because of their refund system.

What you see is what you get for the sale.

• Locked thread