Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
How did Total War: Warhammer turn out? It's got a pretty big discount, but I also hear it's getting a sequel already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Good news: Atelier Sophie and Firis don't have the time management mechanics (Sophie has one missable event you have to do before the final boss and it's pretty obvious.) They're far from the best of the series but they're fun enough.

I remember seeing an Atelier game (I have no idea which anymore) LPed and it looked interesting with the alchemy stuff. If I was going to get one of the two on Steam this sale which should it be?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

axeil posted:

I saw a review that said Prey felt like a modern System Shock 2. Is that accurate? The atmosphere in System Shock 2 was really good but the story also helped engage me and I haven't heard anything about Prey's story so I don't want to consider it if the story is pretty meh.

Yes, Prey is a lovingly crafted homage to System Shock 2 and one of, if not the best, games released this year.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Tenacious J posted:

Let's say I could go for some XCOM 2. If so - if I did say that - would I also want the DLC?

There's three:

Anarchy's Children adds new cosmetics for your soldiers, mostly just that looks Mad Max-ish. Doesn't really interest me, but buy it if you like to play dressup with your resistance soldiers.

Alien Hunters adds 3 boss aliens that show up semi-randomly, as well as new one of a kind pieces of equipment you can equip to your soldiers to help counter them (and also just be generally powerful). Kind of hit or miss, really; the content is interesting, but you can also have the bosses show up and wreck you when you least expect it. A lot of people honestly have it disabled in steam so the rulers don't spawn, especially for replaying the campaign.

Shen's Last Gift adds a (long) scripted story mission and a new class of combat robots with unique abilities. Generally considered on the weak side but they're definitely usable. Buy it if you want a big combat robot for your team.

Looks like the reinforcement pack includes all 3, and for the sale is marked down to the price of Alien Hunters or Shen's Last Gift, so if you want either of those might as well get them all. None of them are in any way essential, though. I'd probably suggest skipping them for now, playing the game as a vanilla runthrough, and if you want to replay it later when the expansion comes out they'll probably have another sale, and you can combine the expansion and DLC for a fresh campaign. The expansion is also promising improvements to both AH and SLG that should improve both anyways.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 25, 2017

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Zathril posted:

Any opinions on Particle Fleet: Emergence? I liked Creeper World 3.

I didn't like it nearly as much as Creeper World 3. The enemy works similarly but you're building a limited number of large ships that you move around instead of buildings, which makes it a lot more like a generic RTS. It's not bad, and if you really want more Creeper World it's probably a worthwhile buy, but not as interesting.

IMHO, anyways. I didn't really get around to the post campaign content with designing your own ships and stuff.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Too Shy Guy posted:

Man, I am a huge Fallout fan from the very first one all the way through New Vegas, and at no point have I given even the slightest poo poo about Fallout 4. It feels so entirely unnecessary, like if I really want to rummage through more irradiated 1950s garbage I already have plenty of games I can do that in already. I'm so disappointed we haven't moved past the wasteland horrors despite being 4+ games and hundreds of years past the apocalypse. Or at the very least they could have done more games in the Fallout 1 era but in different locations or something.

Is it just me? Am I the only person who doesn't want to keep buying Fallout 3 but with base building or whatever?

When it became clear we weren't going to get a New Vegas of Fallout 4, a little part of me died.

I don't hate FO4, and I still have occasional fun running around killing raiders and rifling through post-apocalyptic trash, but it's so... plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Blues Hammer posted:

So, picked up Subnautica, and while it has a number of things going for it—the physics, a better UI than most similar games, and the way it captures constant feeling of danger underwater—I'm about an hour and a half in and finding it really grindy. Just a long cycle of 30-second dives and resurfaces to gather mundane resources to make very basic stuff. I glanced at the wiki at it seems like I'm still hours away from being able to build anything substantial. Is it worth sticking with if it's not grabbing me so far?

I actually found Subnautica surprisingly non-grindy. Resources were plentiful and I seemed to get most of what I needed just incidentally while exploring, though I tend to be a bit obsessive about grabbing stuff. I play a lot of modded minecraft so my standards may be different.

Someday I'll work up the courage to go back to that game. But there are things down there in the deep.

• Locked thread