Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

these sales suck.

Kidding. I'm surprised Hollow Knight is a third off already. May pick that up and never play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Would anyone be interested in a write up about some solid Local Multiplayer games? I'm selfish in that I only want to write it if it will be read and help people

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I want some more couch co-op ish games so yes

:siren: :siren: LOCAL CO-OP EFFORT POST :siren: :siren:

Everything is suited for 4 players, except for a few quick duel games. Everything is in no particular order except the one section where I note as such. Be sure to give me some feedback/suggestions if you see I missed one of your favorites!

The Holy Grail:

Speedrunners - This is 2D Mario Kart. You and your couch race around the level in a circle indefinitely until only one player remains. Players get eliminated when they hit the 'back' (depends on which way the players are running in the circular levels) of the screen. After a player or a set amount of time passes, the borders of the screen shrink. This makes it easier to get eliminated by closing the safe distance between the first and last place racers, and it also inhibits the view of the level. There are items and turbo that you can pick up to use. Did I mention a grappling hook? Because you get a grappling hook. Ships with like 12 levels and the ability to create, upload, and download levels from Steam Workshop. It's real good and real cheap.

Lethal League - Battle Pong. There is a single ball that you are trying to hit into other players. Every time a player hits a ball, there are two things that happen: the ball changes to the player's color such that a player can't be hit by a ball he/she hit last, and the ball speed increases. In a long enough volley, the game uses these Dragonball Z like pauses and color inversions before the ball rockets off your bat. There are six characters that each have a special ability activated by double tapping the hit button in the slight pause between hitting the ball and the ball leaving your bat and a movement ability. Plenty of stages, plenty of style, and plenty of hype. If you liked the aesthetic of Jet Set Radio, you'll dig this.

Towerfall Ascension - Super Mario Bros: The Arcade Game now with Archery. Take the static level with spherical ramifications from SMB Arcade and give each player 5 arrows. Arrows can be fired down the pits to hit players at the top of the screen or the right tunnel to hit players on the left side of the screen. What happens when you run out of arrows? Why, you just go pick one up off the ground, regardless of who fired it! If you're bad at shooting, you can always goomba stomp as well. There are powerups and tons of stages for variety, but the combat is always sweet.

Jackbox Party Pack 1/2/3/Drawful 2 - You know what this is. Combine You Don't Know Jack Trivia with various implementations of Baldurdash and Pictionary and you will create most of the games in these bundles. These games are awesome because you can rope even the most staunch opponents of video games into playing them because you only need a phone with internet access to play. Own at least one game. I'm of the opinion that the original is the best for coming with Fibbage and Drawful, but I may be alone in that opinion.

Overcooked - Coop game in which everyone is a chef trying to complete orders. Ingredients are prepared differently, so you will have to manage the different ingredients while also cleaning and delivering dishes. It's more fun and chaotic than it sounds, especially when half of the kitchen drives away or gets separated by an earthquake.

Mount Your Friends - 2 player only game, but I'm including it anyway. Take QWOP, and apply it to scaling a tower comprised of other men with centrifugal dongs and a goat. Goal is to reach a higher...height than your opponent can manage by building on top of the previous person's best height. You'll go from barely getting to the goat to slingshotting your way up the ripply, foreign man mountain.

Great If You Have The Right Crowd:

CRAWL - A Dungeon Crawler with a twist: 3 of the 4 players are trying to kill the lone adventurer! A single player will control a standard dungeon explorer with swords and the ability to learn magic in the dungeon. The other 3 players play spirits that possess monsters,weapons, and traps to try and kill the adventurer. The adventurer gathers coins to purchase gear in the dungeon, while the spirits can upgrade the monsters they possess between floors. If the adventurer is killed, then that player and the spirit responsible for his/her death swap places! The game ends once an adventurer hits either a certain level or certain floor in the dungeon (I forget). The game is awesome, but isn't as hype as the games above and can run a bit long.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - Only one player is at the computer, and he/she is handed a bomb. Everyone else uses the bomb defusal guides they downloaded on their phones or printed out to try and decipher the features of the bomb the poor soul is describing to you. The game can be relatively simple or very complex, depending on how cheeky the team is feeling. It requires outside materials that are free, but requires downloading or thumbing through a pdf on your phone. Great for the multitaskers out there.

Helldivers - Time for a nice cup of Liber-Tea! A 4 person coop twin stick shooter with friendly fire. Lots of weapons and abilities to unlock and use. It isn't the greatest for pick up play, but if everyone knows what they're getting into, it's a great time.

Gauntlet - It's Gauntlet. A re-imagining of the classic dungeon crawler. There are 4 characters (5 with DLC) with unique playstyles and a degree of customization. Again, not the easiest game to pick up and play, but it;s solid if you have a crew ready to jump in.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime - Everyone is in a single spaceship that is roaming around trying to save bunnies. The ship has stations including movement, guns, and a shield that only work is a player is assigned to the station controlling it. Do I steer the ship or work the shield? ahhhhh

Monaco - Coop game in which everyone is pulling off a heist. Different characters and playstyles including a guy who wears disguises and a guy who tunnels through walls. If the art style weren't so wonky I would make all of my friends play this forever.

Rocket League - Turbo Flying Car Soccer. Really cool game with an impossibly high skill ceiling. Some people will have trouble with the perspective/controls, otherwise this would be in the Holy Grail section.

Tricky Towers - Tetris with physics and powerups. You build on a platform rather than a box, so your tower can fall over. You'll periodically get to cast spells that either help you or hurt your opponents. Not everyone is down with the puzzle games, otherwise this has the chops to go in the Holy Grail.

Rayman Legends - One of the prettiest and best 2D platformers of all time. Tons of content and plays 4 people.

Good:

Divekick - A fighting game distilled down to 2 buttons: jump and kick. You move by jumping and then kicking. Each character has a different kicking arc along with a ground and air special. I'm refraining from putting fighting games or 2P only games on this list, but this is quick and funny enough to be worth a play.

Broforce/The Expendabros - 2D voxel shooter with destructible environments. Every time you die you are given a new action movie/80s character with their own gun and grenades. The color palette makes the action hard to follow, and some bros are worse than others, but it's chaotic fun. Nothing quite like skipping a level by burrowing under all of the enemies.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - The best kart racer not named Mario Kart 8 (and even then it's close). Tracks with different paths and transforming vehicles that control wildly different. If the multiplayer had a better way to deal with the unlockables/customization screen I would put this in the either of the two sections, especially if you don't otherwise have Mario Kart 8.

Phantom Breaker - 2D beat em up with a nice combo system. I completely understand if you are put off by playing waifus.

Starwhal - Control space narwhals that flip around awkwardly and try to pierce each others' hearts with the tip of your horn. Tons of stages. Gets hype because time slows down when a player is almost piercing a heart.

Cautious Recommendation/Meh:

Castle Crashers - a 2D Beat Em Up. Sports 4 players with Newgrounds humor, but I feel that it is one of the more boring implementations of the genre. The only difference between the many, many characters is the starting weapon and the magic. Still, some people like it.

Hammerwatch - Old school 2D dungeon crawl a la Gauntlet. Several classes to choose from, just a bit longer form than I would like/expect from a couch gaming experience.

Jamestown - 2D Steampunk Vertical Shmup rendition of the founding of America. Beautiful sprites and scaling difficulty, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Magicka - Coop game in which everyone is a wizard and you can make a HUGE number of spells by combining elements a la Kirby 64. Long form game that may or may not have aged well, but the friendly fire and spell combos may still have life yet.

Megabyte Punch - Smash Bros with Medabot like customization.

Nidhogg - Another 2 player game. You are in a fencing duel where you can duel, parry, or throw your sword. You start in the middle screen of a 7 screen horizontal stage. Once you kill your opponent, you can progress in your direction (left player wants to go right and vice versa). The dead player will respawn either in the next screen or the current screen depending on the time. The goal of the game is to make it to the left/right most screen of the stage, depending on where you started. I'm not actually super fond of this, but it shows up enough that it's worth a mention.

Porcunipine - 2D deathmatch where everyone is a porcupine with a single quill that you fire and ricochet off walls to hit the other players. Not a lot of depth here, honestly.

Stardust Vanguards - Everyone controls a Gundam in this 2D platformer. You have guns, a sword, lasers, and the ability to call in your own space opera army. May be a little better than I'm rating it here tbh.

ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS - You are going to fly around and shoot a lot of rockets. I mean a LOT of rockets. It's a solid game, just didn't have a lot of depth for me.

Push Me Pull You - Control 2 Catdog people who can extend and retract the length of their bodies to keep control of a ball. Gets a reaction with its great sound effects. One match is generally all you'll play at a time, but I think it's worth it.

Sportsfriends - A collection of a few minigames that are mildly interesting. One is a 2D single plane Soccer of sorts with pole vault poles. One is a king of the hill with action. One is an area control that I was slightly too inebriated to remember.

Runbow - 2D platformer that has some powerups and platforms that may disappear depending on if they blend in with the stage background's constantly changing color! On the Wii U this could play 9 people. Fairly simple game that doesn't have a lot of depth, but still worth owning imo.

Haven't Gotten To Play Yet, Sorted By General Reputation/My Desire:

Ultimate Chicken Horse - 2D platformer where each player gets to add a course feature/obstacle in between every round until someone reaches the finish line.

Move or Die - 2D deathmatch/platformer with constantly changing rules and victory conditions.

Duck Game - Chaotic 2D deathmatch shooter with tons of stages, heads, and weapons.

Gang Beasts - 3D physics brawler. The fighting isn't as sophisticated as it is funny. You can either kill people with brutality of throw them off of the many stages. Plays up to 8 online and either 4 or 8 locally.

Screencheat - Take Goldeneye, but make all of the players invisible. How did you know who to kill? By looking at their screen and shooting where you think they are based on that!

The Yawhg - 4 player local CYOA adventure game. Sounds like an interesting experience not otherwise replicated.

Invisigun Heroes - 2D deathmatch where the players are invisible until they either attack or get hit.

Conga Master - Invigorate the unwashed masses with the power of dueling Conga lines.

LASTFIGHT - Spiritual successor to Power Stone.

Super Slam Dunk Touchdown - Arcadey sports game where the sports are mashed up. baseball pitchers firing soccer balls into goals and football players punting pucks over basketball goals. Features streakers and zambonis.

Totemori - 3D brawler where you build towers while trying to topple everyone else’s.

Gurgamoth - 2D deathmatch where you kill opponents by knocking them into stage hazards.

Wand Wars - Lethal League but you can cast magic and also you're not restricted to a single plane.

Friendship Club - 2D bullethell deathmatch.

Use Your Words - Probably the first in a long line of Jackbox imitators. 3-6 players, use your smart phone as a controller, party game.

Streets of Rogue - A 2D Brawler...RPG? set in a procedural generated city. Boasts a multitude of playstyles/storylines.

Dungeon League - Competitive Dungeon Crawler? Sure, I'm in.

Dynasty Feud - Okay so it's a platform fighter a la Smash Bros, only your lives are other characters a la Marvel vs Capcom. Each character seems to be a 1 trick pony, but there are like 40 characters.

Wondershot - 2D deathmatch where you get a single shot in your weapon. Your weapon changes along with the stage every round.

Samurai Gunn - Kind of the granddaddy of the revival of 2D local multiplayer deathmatches. One hit, one kill. Everyone has a sword and a gun with a single bullet. Use it wisely.

Genital Jousting - Everyone controls a penis in a bunch of deathmatch or sports modes.

Crewsaders - Two robots battle each other; each part of each robot is controlled by a different player.

Glitchrunners - 4 Players are trying to compete a 3D platforming level while a 5th player screws with everyone.

Lance A Lot - Knights are jousting...on rockets. Think of it as Starwhal on a different plane.

Forced - 3D puzzle Platformer

Rivals of Aether - Super Smash Bros with less items and more fighting game combos.

Dwarven Brawl Bros - The Proto-Duck Game with semi destructible environments.

Super Indie Karts - A 2D Kart racer in the style of Crash Team Racing/Konami Krazy Karts featuring indie darling mascots.

99 Vidas - Bog standard looking 2D beat em up.

Kopanito All-Star Soccer - Old arcadey style soccer game.

SWORDY - Ragdoll fighter where you attack by flailing with reckless abandon into your enemies.

Stikbold - 3D ish Dodgeball game.

Overruled - 2.5D deathmatch where you can change the rules/victory conditions. Sounds identical to Move or Die, but they're different and Move or Die is better.

Rogue Stormers - Contra with customizable perks and weapons. Apparently some bad bugs and no saves.

Not Worth Your Time:

Orbital Gear - 2D deathmatch with the Super Mario Galaxy gravity gimmick. Could be interesting if polished, but it's not.

Particle Mace - 2D deathmatch where you kill people not by shooting with your spaceship, but rather by trying to kill them with the bag of comets attached to your tail by drifting. Again, could be interesting if polished, but it's not.

Skyscrappers - Two ways to win: kill your opponent, or scale the falling debris to get to the top of the skyscraper. It has a great retro CAPCOM look, but something didn't quite click. I think items or character special abilities would have been the difference maker.

Skyhook - 2D deathmatch where you are given a weapon and a grappling hook. There's some potential for hype because you can grapple onto enemies and pull them, but it fell short for me. Maybe it improved a lot in the year since I've played it, but idk. Sucks because I am a sucker for grappling hooks in games.

Samudai - Nidhogg with cats and like, power ups. Not nearly tight enough to be worth your time.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 23, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Xaris posted:

How could you forget SPELUNKY??

It's also $2!!!

A few reasons. One, I tried to stick to primarily 4 player games. Two, I have no clue how the coop in Spelunky works. Three, I've barely played it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay, I made up my mind and these are definitely the last games I buy this summer sale.

- Giga Wrecker
- Stories: The Path of Destinies
- Distance
- LucasArts Adventure Pack

I really want to add a couple of good shmups to my list, even if they are a bunch of japanese indie ones, anyone know some good ones?

Jamestown is a pretty fun shmup imo

axeil posted:

Ok, doing my twice a year game buying and my wish list is basically empty so I'm looking for some goon recommendations. I usually like games with really engaging stories, RPGs, Metroidvanias or Dark Souls-like games.

Already planning to pick up Salt & Sanctuary, Ori and the Blind Forest and FF6 (nostalgia).

Semi-complete list of past Steam sale purchases I've really liked:

Terraria
Axiom Verge
Life is Strange
The Talos Principle
Valkyria Chronicles
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Thomas Was Alone
Shadowrun (all 3)
Her Story
Borderlands 2
Alpha Protocol
Undertale

Also how's NieR:Automata? I saw it made the latest list of Extra Credits' "Games You Might Not Have Tried" and their recommendations usually sync up with my tastes.

Based on what I know of Valkyria Chronicles, if you haven't played XCOM: Enemy Unknown, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

axeil posted:

I have! I really enjoyed it, and someone was very kind and gifted me XCOM 2 for the Winter Sale. Planning on playing those at some point this year.

You may also enjoy Chroma Squad. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but it looks fresh.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Does anyone have a list of somewhat short (10 or so hours long) story driven games? Preferably first person?

Just looking for some games that I can finish over a weekend as I'm terrible at resuming games if I've stopped playing for a few days.

A Story About My Uncle is a first person puzzle platformer reminiscent of Portal. You get a grappling hook and a later a jet pack to traverse a strange land. There is a story/set of subtle implications for why you're swinging around, so it may be up your alley. Even if it's not the most story intensive game, I would suggest you play it. It's like 3 hours long and pretty solid for the price.

If you liked Gunslinger I wonder if you would like Far Cry Blood Dragon. It's the only Far Cry I've ever played. You are in an 80s neon hellscape doing 80s things. Tons of charm, and tons of fun.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have company coming over on Friday. Which is the best Jackbox?

I would argue the first. It has Fibbage, Drawful, Quiplash, and YDKJ. The first two are the only games people really care about, and most every other game people like are derivatives of those two. There are solid games in the other packs, but Drawful 2 became its own thing, so you would want to pick that up in addition to 2 or 3 if you go that route.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I was going to make a small effort post on one of my favorite games, Gunpoint, but I'm too sick.

Instead, I'm just going to tell you to buy Gunpoint. It's a great, charming 2D stealth game with a fantastic jazzy noir soundtrack. You can afford 2.49.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dark Souls 3 and Bioshock Infinite are fine if you are a fan of either franchise. Don't buy into the goon hyperbole.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shadow Tactics sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if I can get into it. I'd rather wait and make a less expensive mistake.

Battle Brothers gets a lot of love, but man I don't like the presentation.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Sooo, a few more games crept into my cart that I need some goon opinions on to whittle down...

Luftrausers - 2D dogfighting game. It was cool for a play, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I will note that I don't do well with 'infinite play' games. I would skip it, but it is a okay title. I just think there are many more solid games, even at this price point.
Furi +DLC - Boss Rush game that combines simple melee combat with bullet hell. Each boss has like 7 phases, and you have 3 lives to beat the boss. Each phase you beat will replenish a life. If you lose all lives, you have to restart the boss again. I really wanted to like this, but mehhhhh. I would wait for a deeper discount personally.
ABZU - I haven't played this one personally, but it's from the director of Journey, and I'm told it's Journey but underwater. 3D uhhh walking simulator but not really. It will be a very pretty artsy game that lasts 3 hours max. Probably a solid buy.
Hyper Light Drifter - 2D exploration game with fast combat. I want to say Zelda like exploration and dungeons with Dark souls like story telling subliminal story telling through world building, but that's not entirely accurate. It has beautiful sprites, fast combat (a BS boss or two), and man it just feels good. Definitely the best game in your cart by a wide margin.
Summer Sale Puzzles Bundle (World of Goo, Machinarium, Samorost 2, SpaceChem, Tiny Bang Story, Gateways, The Bridge, Tetrobot & Co, The Room, Sokobond) -87% $10.74
World of Goo - Really cool physics puzzle game that probably still holds up today. Worth a play.
Samorost 2 - point and click adventure game with minimal story telling. It's short, but it was cute and I didn't regret playing it as someone who doesn't mess with the genre. I have a key if you want it and decide not to get the bundle.

I did my best. tl;dr get Hyperlight Drifter, everything else can probably be skipped from what I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

$60 for a year old game. I'm poor and hardly ever pay full price for games.

Try like eBay or even Gamestop.

• Locked thread