Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Han Nehi posted:

I've heard Titanfall 2 has a good singleplayer campaign. Would it be worth $20 for just singleplayer? I have no interest in playing online.

Do you like mechs and robros? Get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

buy dungeonmans

:yeah:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Narutoboruto Ultimate Ninja Animestorm 4

y/n?

Someone mentioned it's the last game cyberconnect is working on, so I'm assuming it's packed with ten billion ninjas and stuff, but is it any good?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Shadow of Mordor, cheap and awesome

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Neurovoider y/n?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/400450/NeuroVoider/

I keep looking for a twinstick shooter I'll love, I still haven't found it :mad:

Deathstate is my favorite so far.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Neurovoider is good but it doesn't feel very punchy, if you feel me. Might be better in co-op, haven't tried it. Have you tried Nuclear Throne and Gungeon?

Yeah I've played (most) of the more obvious genre staples, none of them really stuck for me.

I'll find one I love one of these days :pray:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lazy recommendations:

Dungeonmans: One of my favorite roguelikes. Plays fast and smooth. Persistent academy (or not, as you see fit) to retain progress through deaths. Huge world, tons of dungeon types, varied and powerful skillsets you can combine any way you see fit. And amazing, amazing music.

Deathstate: A single stick (?!) shooter. Awesome music. Funky aesthetic. Very, very weird and cool.

Grim Dawn: Diablo-esque monster basher. Spiritual successor to Titan Quest. Heavy developer attention, many patches, and an expansion on the way. Healthy (and seemingly growing) community. (Also throwing in a tentative recommendation for Titan Quest if you love greek mythology - the game is a little dated these days, but still looks remarkably beautiful and is a joy to explore).

Age of Wonders III: Just great. Turn based strategy game with remarkably non-lovely combat AI. Incredibly varied race/class combinations with dozens (hundreds?) of units. Superb music (noticing a theme in games I like here?).

Warlock 2: Ultra janky turn based strategy. Why recommend? Because it's fun. Also has a stupidly good fan patch that is basically Warlock 2.5, fixes a shitload of stuff, adds a shitload more stuff, makes the AI more challenging. Treat this as a hex based wargame, not a Civ empire builder and you can have a real good time building up monstrous super enchanted super geared heroes and armies and fighting your way across the planes of existence.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger: Gets recommended by goons a lot. For good reason. Superb old west FPS with great gimmicks.

The Curious Expedition: FTL, but in 19th century britain. With cthulu and angry tribesmen. Ok not really FTL. Hard to describe. Go look it up, it's funky and fast to play.

Doom: I'm listing a big AAA game here because it's real loving good. If you enjoy shooting demons in the face and generally feeling like a badass, get it. And (wait for it), has a kickass soundtrack.

Dungeon of the Endless: Funky hybrid of tower defense and roguelike exploration. Fun multiplayer too. Cool aesthetic, fun to explore.

Full Bore: A bit older, this is a funky puzzle game about... boars. Stick with it and it'll surprise you, promise.

One Way Heroics Plus: Rogue-like-ish game with a really clever conceit. You constantly move right, fleeing the darkness from the left. Simple to play, comfortable controls, lots of clever mechanics, and a ton of unlockable stuff. I'd skip the very newest release, plus is a straight update of the original release with more content, the newer one is a commercial remakeish thing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's a solid cheat program for Grim Dawn, if you're an arpg vet you can skip to whatever difficulty you want

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also works quite well coop

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll throw out the odd but true note that both Elder Scrolls Online and FF14 can be soloed for huge chunks of the game, have huge and beautiful worlds, and in the case of FF14, pretty awesome story and unbelievably good music.

ESO did a big update about a year ago that basically means you can go anywhere right from the start, so you're free to explore a giant ES world, and the Morrowind expansion that just came out is... literally Morrowind.

Might not be what you're looking for if you want a strictly solo experience, but if you're in an ES/FF mood, they'll scratch the itch and then some.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Everspace and Starpoint Gemini Warlords, any good?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ulio posted:

ok everyone is saying its good, I ll bite. Is the weapon system different than Dead island? I felt like Dead Island's weapons would break way too quick.

They break but it's just not remotely an issue. By the time you'd even care, you'll have found five replacements that are better.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Now you're speaking my language

Age of Wonders 3
Deathstate
Dungeonmans
Brigador
DOOM
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Warframe
Risk of Rain
Deus Ex: HR
Elder Scrolls Online
Final Fantasy XIV
King's Bounty (like 50 of them, but The Legend, Crossworlds, Armored Princess first)
Super Hexagon

For my question, anyone messed with Book of Demons? http://store.steampowered.com/app/449960/Book_of_Demons/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Steam native support + DS4Windows generally means you can use the PS4 pad pain free. I think the PS4 remote desktop app also adds some sort of support for the bluetooth dongled controller?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fyallm posted:

I have never heard of ziggurat, it looks interesting... The thing that always turns me off on these rogue games is there are just way to many options on gear and upgrades, I feel like if I dont spend just as much time researching the items and picking the right upgrade or using the right powerful weapon I am gimping myself so much it makes the game frustratingly hard.

EDIT: Just bought Dishonored 1. woo hoo

Play Dungeonmans or Sproggiwood. Sproggiwood is minimalist, so there's way less to manage. Dungeonmans has traditional inventory/equipment, but there aren't really 'wrong' choices. Put on better looking gear with bigger numbers. Pretty much every spec has strong skills.

Immortal Redneck is basically Ziggurat-but-better. Ziggurat does have some nifty ideas and it's worth playing if you like the general concept. Neither are a 'normal' roguelike, they're both first person shooters with random levels and powerups/guns/magic spells.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Final Station looks really neat, anyone played it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions about Salt and Sanctuary and Dust, so maybe wait for someone to chime in on those?

Salt is cool and good. It has some flawed aspects, but it's an amazing atmospheric (dark) world to explore. Dust is meh.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gmq posted:

Any super engrossing game I should buy before the sale ends? Games that make me want to finish them to find out what's going on. I'm not picky about the genre, I'll play anything but the story should be part of the game, so a Bejeweled clone with story dumps between levels wouldn't really work.

Examples: NieR (the first, the sequel is still too expensive for me), Kotor, Undertale, the first couple of Mass Effect games. Bad example: Hollow Knight (great game but not what I'm looking for since the plot is really vague).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Awesome! posted:

i stuck with only buying pillars of eternity+dlc and witcher 2. i have played pillars for like 24 hours now according to steam so i think that was an ok purchase

I've skipped on Pillars dlc twice now, but given that I haven't put substantial time into Pillars or Torment and didn't buy Tyranny I'm wondering if I'm just... not into long oldstyle pc rpgs any more.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I spent a lot this sale, but I had a fair amount of steam credit in my wallet already.

Hollow Knight
Prey
Don't Starve Together
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Space Pirates and Zombies 2
You Must Build a Boat
Skyrim SE
Dead Cells

I feel like SPAZ 2 is the only real gamble. I had also planned on getting a Paradox grand strategy game (HOI4 or EU4) but chickened out.

I did not like SPAZ2 and that made me very sad because I loved the first one. They've patched it a fair amount, post a trip report, curious to hear your thoughts.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Xaris posted:

:same:

SPAZ1 was a loving great random game out of nowhere back when indie competition was a lot lower. it had some grindy problems once the zombie meatships came out, but i really liked the overall package and mechanics

I'm very curious to hear how SPAZ2 ends out, heard it was kinda sucky but that was awhile ago

I played it not too long after EA launch, and it's just a very different game. The basic concept is similar, and it has some clever ideas about open-space-world adventuring that expand on the fun stuff they had in the first game.

But the combat engine is completely different, and resulting overall feel is different as well.

They're coming up on 1.0 very soon though, so it may be a more fun game overall than what I played, dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had no interest in Prey and no idea it had anything to do with Arkane or System Shock style gameplay. I found out way later. Now I'm interested! (when did it come out...)

• Locked thread