Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Alright, I haven't kept track of the way sales work for the past couple of years.

I know Steam doesn't do dailies anymore, but is there any reason to hold off on a game at 40% now, because someone else is going to make it -80% tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

Nope! Buy buy buy buy now now now.

Won't get any cheaper. What you see is what you get

Thanks. In that case, can anyone comment on Civilization VI for 40% off?

I know the AI is supposed to be atrocious, but I want to play MP with a friend.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

mike12345 posted:

Are there no 80% games off? Wtf 50% there's always someone selling it for 50%.

Well see a couple of years ago Valve figured out that players really hated logging in every day to check for dailies, so now we just have smaller, flat discounts for 2 weeks straight which is much better because

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Antti posted:

A good game for a good price. Make sure to pick up the popular UI mod though.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Antti posted:

I still think it's refunds wot did them in.

You're probably right, but it seems like it would have been easier to just forbid refunds mid-sale.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Bremen posted:

How did Total War: Warhammer turn out? It's got a pretty big discount, but I also hear it's getting a sequel already?

Very good, best Total War game by far.

Ignore the Steam reviews. CA added a bunch of additional factions (distinct playstyle/units/tech tree) months after release to the campaign map as AIs. The paid DLC unlocks these factions for the human player- in other words, extremely optional.

In the same timeframe, CA also added, for free, a major faction and a bunch of new units for existing factions.

So, naturally, this almost uniquely fair/generous DLC model infuriated a bunch of people into flooding the page with negative reviews over CA nickel-and-diming their customers.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious but what was being abused by refunds that made them take it out? I mean I'm perfectly fine with not having to be online at the right moment to get a game for it's lowest price.

It was notoriously common for people to buy games early in the sale for the sale-long price, then get angry that they could have saved 6 extra dollars if they waited until the game became a daily/flash.

When they added refunds a couple of years ago, I think they just anticipated that this would lead to tons and tons of refunds. As a previous poster said, it seems like it would have been trivial to prevent rebuying a game you just refunded or block refunds entirely for discounted games, but I'm not Valve.

Hopper posted:

Weird there are several games I would have sworn have been cheaper before...

It's not weird. A lot of publishers are cool with their game being 75-90% off for 1 day/8 hours, but not 2 weeks. Which is why a lot of us are grumbling.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Any opinions on Steamworld Heist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Whoever asked about the Pit: I bought it at release because I liked the 30 minute demo.

Not realizing that that 30 minutes was the entire game, repeated 40 times (seriously), with some bullshit RNG instadeath stuff later on.

Maybe the tons of DLC they added saves it, but I doubt it.

• Locked thread