Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Palpek posted:

I don't agree. The "genius" Bethesda marketing division didn't lately successfully sell 2 games with their brilliant misleading sales tactics. They sold 1 game and utterly failed to sell the 2nd. They simply badly marketed 2 great games where one ended up reviewing and selling well only because it represented a famous brand and lived up to its legacy while the second game ended up selling poorly because it referred to the ultimately wrong, weak and forgotten brand (Prey), didn't use the actually strong brand the legacy which it represented (System Shock) and offered experience too niche for the target broad market it was marketted for. Doom was successful despite the marketing's failures because everybody knows Doom and the game was good enough to live up to it. Prey didn't have that luck.

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

I do think that DOOM's success is due to a slingshot effect as the industry at large did a sudden about-face on the game, but that's not really a reproducible model given its unique circumstances (an iconic IP whose last release was pretty poorly received)

Prey didn't enjoy this same effect because it's not an iconic brand - it's not even a bad brand, because worse that that, it's a nothing brand. It either conjures up nothing in your head or vague memories of a native american fighting aliens

I don't know, I'm not in business, but from an outsider's perspective it feels more like Bethesda Mr. Magoo'd their way into success with DOOM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread