Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
Are there any really highly recommended multiplayer (online coop) games on sale? My friend and I are lookin' for a new game. We've played stuff like Stellaris, Terraria, Factorio and Don't Starve Together and all that already and enjoyed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Broforce is $3.74 if you haven't played it. It's not really similar to any of the games you listed, but it's definitely worth the current asking price, even if you can 100% it in 10-11 hours. Hammerwatch is $2. A friend and I played through both of the campaigns and it took about 21 hours. They're both pretty good games with good online co-op. Risk of Rain is $2.49 and has a great soundtrack, but I don't think its coop is quite as good as the previous two games--we had some syncing issues here and there.

Thanks!

We played Broforce and found it was a bit "much." We played Hammerwatch as well and found it neat enough. We've never played Risk of Rain--I'll check it out!

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

kater posted:

Resident evil 5 & 6 are terrific coop games if you are in to laughing your rear end off at ridiculously dumb things. A bit different from those other games though.

We'll look into 'em--thanks!

Bloodplay it again posted:

Risk of Rain is definitely harder than both of the other games. Depending on what you found to be a bit much about Broforce, it might be even worse for you, since it gets really hectic in later levels. Are there any coop games you've played recently that you've enjoyed? I'm basically in the same boat as you.

Difficulty isn't a big concern for us, but we found Broforce got a bit too hectic and over the top. Our favs so far have been the strong coop-ish games. We really liked Factorio and Terraria, but different reasons. Stellaris was likewise awesome and ads ways of allying up in-game that make it pretty smooth, but there's a bit of a "two people play solo games" sorta vibe to it, so I'm not sure I'd count it. Don't Starve Together was pretty rad but we found the replayability of it to be pretty much nil, which kinda makes me question how rad it truly was. I think we're looking for a sort of adventure-rich coop game. First person, third person, 2d, whatever, but something witha bit of the intrigue of exploring a new, rich environment. We considered Ark, but we dissuaded by general poor ratings.

Xaris posted:

Honestly Risk of Reign is not a good game. It punishes you heavily for taking your time and chilling out exploring things and makes it so you just have to rush the exits for the most part or else you get swarmed and die. If you like a game where you can take your time, avoid it
Hmm, I think a game where it's possible to take a breath might be more our style for our next game.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

Substandard posted:

Hey all.. I have some questions...

If I'm looking at either Dead Cells or Hollow Knight , which is the better choice? Neither has a great discount, so I'll probably grab one and wait for the next sale on the other.

Also, is there anything of value in the Fallout 4 Season Pass? I hate not getting all of the content, but $15 for the base game vs like $40+ for the bundle with the DLC seems brutal and the reviews are decidedly negative.

Hollow Knight is pretty neat. Good controls, generally cool ambiance (I found it a bit samey myself, but everyone else digs it). I wasn't too pulled in--I found it kinda slow, but it's complete and generally a very solid metroidvania.

Dead Cells has amazing controls and realllly well done animations and things. The game just *feels* really good to play. Unfortunately, it isn't yet complete. If it were complete, I'd recommend it over Hollow Knight, but for now, probably just go with Hollow Knight unless you really favour the roguelite style over the metroidvania style.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
I enjoyed everything about the Enter the Gungeon EXCEPT the very last bit of the game for each character. Without spoilers, though, if that's the problem you're running into though, it's probably worth the price.

Okay, so, I scoured the steam sale last night when I got home and couldn't find a game that matches sorta what I'm looking for:
Me and my friend like to play coop games online (pubg, hots, wow, dota, overwatch, terraria, minecraft, factorio, etc.). We're looking for a new game, more focused on exploration and such than just running through levels this time around. We've beaten Terraria and both loved it. We recently "beat" Minecraft story stuff. We've beaten Don't Starve Together and Factorio and we've played a few times through Starbound. We're not too concerned with potential difficulty issues as we're both generally pretty good. Neither of us have any VR hardware, so that's out already. A hosted server style gmae is okay (a la Factorio, Starbound, Minecraft, Terraria) as are more MMO-style games (WoW) provided they aren't too grindy (ArcheAge).

We were considering Ark, but the negative reviews dissuaded us; we were also considering Astroneer but the game's incompleteness dissuaded us. Anyone have any suggestions for us? So far Risk of Rain is looking to be the most likely option.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
I asked earlier in this thread about good online co-op games my friend and I can play. We've beat Factorio, Minecraft, Terraria, Don't Starve Together, etc. etc.

I read through the thread and we picked out two games and played 'em:

Risk of Rain: Really fun! But, sadly, REALLY short. I think it took us about 4 playthroughs and ~3 hours total to beat the last boss. I don't even think we're *that* good at this sorta game, so if you're some sort of platformer roguelite pro you're gonna be finished this game fast. Good fun, though, even if we found a lot of the maps pretty same-y and had a few interesting UI bugs that ended in premature deaths (including his death on the last level right before the final boss--oy vey).

The Forest: This looked a lot like a 3d version of DST which we both enjoyed quite a bit. This game came out about two years ago and is clearly still in the alpha. I actually ended up bugging out the menu within 5m of gameplay and being forever locked in a state where all I could do was look around. There's very little impetus for you to proceed with the story, and very little depth in crafting. The island you're on is pretty small (we explored the whole perimeter in less than one day's time in-game). The best weapon you can craft appears to be some sort of sharpened stick with bones, which just lets you stun enemies until they die. The games' clearly got a decent base to it if they fix the UI bugs and the ambiance in-game is pretty good, but they've still got a ways to go 'til they can make a decent game. Probably doesn't bode well that it's already on sale.

In conclusion:
Risk of Rain is a fun, albeit short, game. If you're not good at that sort metroid-platformer-roguelite sorta style you might get 10 hours out of it maybe. Likewise, if you are a completionist. My suggestion? It's fun, buy on sale if you dig that sort of game. Works better solo, but is okay with a partner.
The Forest has neat ambiance but bugs and general lack of depth kinda ruin the experience a bit--also a 4ft drop will straight up kill you. My suggestion? Pass. If you *really* think you might like a co-op game of this style, just play Don't Starve Together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009

BirdOfPlay posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but you do know Risk of Rain is meant to be played over and over again, right? Your review sounds like it's meant to be a single play through game. Like, I don't think you can get most of the characters in your 4 playthroughs.

Yes, I understand that. I guess I should have said: while I recognize that the goal of the game is replayability, it fails to achieve that, in our opinion. This may not be a problem for tougher roguelites, but for RoR it lead to a pretty quick "end of the game."

• Locked thread