Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^^^ Do NOT buy Mafia III.

This may obviously change in the next few hours because STEAMSALE but Darkest Dungeon has a package with the base game and its brand new DLC that is actually TWO BUCKS MORE than buying them separately.

Obviously the rule of not buying anything in the first few hours is strong here.

e: Oh, it also contains the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Even if I'm not going to buy much I still loving LOVE Steam sales for window shopping because I think I am an idiot.

I have no loving interest in some lovely Romance Of the Three Kingdoms game but I love that it's on sale!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

Conversely, do buy it, if it interests you and the price is right.

It's pretty janky and repetitive, but the shooting is fun and the soundtrack, atmosphere, and writing are all pretty on point. It's a AA game with AAA aspirations and should've probably been marketed and priced as such, but it's not without merit.

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of the series, but even at its discounted price I don't think Mafia III is worth it. The story missions are far too few and far apart, they're not the usual showpieces they've been in previous games, and 90% of the game is the standard open world cleanup poo poo you'd do for achievement hunting in any other game.

That said, if its sale price is low enough for your "just to see" qualifications, buy it. But I sincerely do not believe it's a game you should EVER play at ANY price. You can spend that money elsewhere.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Dirt Rally does only one thing and does it INCREDIBLY well. CARs does lots of things very well but it's a little rough to get into for my tastes. It felt like it's aimed at those who have been doing it for years and doesn't teach newcomers very well.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I'm looking for interesting things to play on my Linux laptop which has an okay processor and terrible graphics card. I've had some fairly mixed results with games on it, usually 2D stuff is fine though some things like Terraria have completely broken down. A few 3D games have worked okay, but something like Crusader Kings 2 ran at .5 fps. Also, gently caress buying something with a discount under 50%; doing that is for suckers.

So, any interesting suggestions?

Stardew Valley is fantastic. FTL if you don't own it. Papers, Please is a good option.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The fun is either over or doesn't work on mobile. Just finished my queue on my phone and got a single card.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Bloodplay it again posted:

The extra cards were for voting in the Steam Awards thing during the last sale.

I did that... :smith:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This is your usual sale reminder to grab Consortium!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why should I care about Consortium?

It's a weird and ambitious Deus Ex inspired shooter mystery. You play yourself. Literally. You play the role of you who, for entertainment, can jump dimensions and possess someone via a computer game. Featuring a script that mostly just plays out over time while you weave in and out of it, you jump into the body of an elite member of a peacekeeper group on board their plane. You can choose dialog options or remain silent or just walk away from conversations, all while trying to solve the mystery of a traitor, dealing with boarding mercenaries, and trying to figure out who you've jumped into and what the organization they belong to actually does.

It's one of those where there are dozens of little triggers and switches that play into the ending, so the fact that it's short means you can check everything out. They're also making an extremely ambitious sequel set in a fully realized commercial tower where, again, you're set loose in a story that plays out around you.

For two bucks, if you at all like Deus Ex and similar ambitious freedom shooters, Consortium is a good choice.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Reality Winner posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/

I dont know what any of this means but you might want to hold off on buying any Paradox strategy game this sale.

Disregard that. They raised their prices last week and were hit with a ton of backlash. They're just reverting their changes.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Junior Jr. posted:

You know what's really sad?

Almost all of these games are on huge discounts on Steam...but Overwatch is STILL full price. :(

It was JUST half off.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

axeil posted:

Question for everyone,

How scary is SOMA? The idea of it seems pretty cool but when I tried to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent I got too freaked out and had to stop about an hour in. Is SOMA the same level of intensity or is it easier to handle?

Literally the post above yours. But you were typing that up while it was made.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

axeil posted:

Ah, thanks. Does Wuss Mode detract at all from the overall game? If not that sounds like my thing so I don't freak out from a monster chasing me.

Reading the mod description apparently it makes the game a completely different tone. The few scripted chases are untouched for plot or not-breaking-the-game reasons.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Does anyone have a list of somewhat short (10 or so hours long) story driven games? Preferably first person?

Just looking for some games that I can finish over a weekend as I'm terrible at resuming games if I've stopped playing for a few days.

I made a post about Consortium earlier in the thread but the mobile doesn't seem to let me find my own posts in the thread.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

More people should buy Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments which is the greatest detective game ever made and lets you freely accuse suspects and then choose if you want to go the official route or something more ambiguous. It's an amazing game when it comes to player choice and gathering evidence.

Seriously, this.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^^^ Yes. MGSV is STILL a great game, even after Konami tried to ruin it.

Tenzarin posted:

Dying light is super bad. Like shoot a grappling hook out of your hand like spider man, bad.

I have never played that game, but you are literally the first person I've ever seen with something negative to say about that game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

More like Kojima couldn't finish anything in time.

No, I mean that after launch they patched in a bunch of hosed up and bad poo poo. Like there was a gun to research that took 72 hours. Real-time. In-game. Not one of those "72 hours but even when you're not playing it counts down" things. Literally 72 hours in-game. That wouldn't have even been okay had it been in at launch, but the fact that it came out after I was 90% done with the game and you can't cancel research so I was STUCK with that in a slot is bad. And then the microtransactions and the Clash Of Clans style base stuff that they slowly shifted emphasis onto.

It launched an incomplete piece of poo poo with some of the best core gameplay mechanics of the year. But they made it into a disgusting product that was an insult to Kojima's overambitious work on the thing.

And, all that said, it's STILL a loving phenomenal game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

kater posted:

I need some help trimming my cart

I don't know why you'd buy any sort of video on Steam when other services offer far better players and streaming quality.

e: Several of those aren't even on sale. You're just pulling our legs!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

strategery posted:

Is there a site that tells you what DLC you dont own from the games you do own? One would think this would be incorporated into steam, but alas, no.

Enhanced Steam

It's loving awesome, including checkboxes for multiple DLC. That's a godsend for things like Rocksmith and such.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I believe there's an HD update of Majesty. That's a good game.

e: There, in fact, is.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Heffer posted:

Any opinions on MORDHEIM: CITY OF THE DAMNED? I love XCOM and am moderately friendly with the Warhammer universe. Reviews are high-mixed.

They had a free weekend a month or two or three back and it was similar to XCOM and definitely had tactics, but it was a lot looser and I didn't particularly care for its movement/attack/actions approach. The company management also didn't do a lot for me either.

That said, all of what I said is extremely personal feedback and I could easily see you enjoying it if you really like XCOM-alikes. You should probably look into some LP videos on YouTube to give you a feel for it. It's a good game, it's just not for me.

e: Also, considering it's the same price, you might look into Darkest Dungeon instead. It's much higher regarded from everything I can tell and it's a similar management/combat/consequences experience. But it also plays way different, being 2D and etc.

ee: Oh, you might like Invisible Inc. if you haven't tried that one yet. It's absolutely phenomenal and it's as close to XCOM as you can get pretty much.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 24, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This is a bizarre request, but are there any good "trading" games? What I mean is that I recently reinstalled the old Pirates Of the Caribbean game and have just been running back forth between islands trading goods and making profits. For some stupid reason, this is fun to me.

I've got the X series but I've never been able to get into it because of its slow startups. Freelancer would be cool but it's not on Steam. Anyone tried Windward? It looks like Pirates! but not half as good and unfinished.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Thanks to everyone for the trading recommendations!!!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is Spore worth $5?

gently caress no.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone know if the port of Final Fantasy IX is any good?

It's so insanely good it's almost not even a loving port. It's incredibly good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ragequit posted:

The new Diablo 3 expansion comes out in two days for $15 - you should give that a shot.

Just to keep people from getting confused:

There is no expansion, it's just a single class for $15.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Dead Cells and Subnautica are early access? I usually avoid early access simply due to the logic that however good a game in early access is now, it's usually going to be better later and it's not like we don't all have backlogs so there's plenty of other games I could play right now.

So how complete are Dead Cells and Subnautica?

The former is nearly complete and I'm going to pick it up this sale. The latter is still being built but it's roughly 85% of the way there and you can, at this moment, have a fairly complete and satisfying experience. Unless, like me, sea monsters loving TERRIFY you.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As best I can guess, without playing it, they mean the absolute air control and maybe the jumps don't fall quite fast enough. I could see someone feeling like 100%, very responsive, every-little-touch-does-something air control being floaty. I've seen the same complaints leveraged against Super Meat Boy.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I don't know that I'd say Dead Cells is nearly complete. The game abruptly ends and they've said they want to double the amount of content currently available before release.

Oh, that's crazy. The few people I've talked to about it have said it's "pretty much a full game."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Favorite part of this is the discovery queue but I have a feeling that's been a part of steam for awhile.

About as long as it's been lovely.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

Titanfall 2 is as good as Doom but doesn't overstay its welcome.

I 110% disagree, I thought TF2 was a very bland shooter experience barring one, maybe two levels. It was just more rescinded Call Of Duty.

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:THIS JUST IN!:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

DO NOT BUY DEAD CELLS ON STEAM!!!

It has over TWICE the discount on Bundle Stars. It's at 27% off and using the code RED5 at checkout gets you an additional 5%. On Steam it's only 15%.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What about it?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

explosivo posted:

Just Cause 3 worth $13? I bought it when it released but ended up refunding it because of the always online stuff crashing constantly and generally seeming pretty meh overall. Have they changed/fixed any of the buggy always online bullshit?

I would honestly spend that money on some other game or a burger. There's little substance (which is no surprise given the franchise) and they made all your vehicles and even you tissue paper. It's no fun being a god of destruction who can't take a few shots. Choppers are dead before you finish the getting in animation.

Granted, this is from my experience giving up before reaching the main island, but if they can't make the opening of the game fun enough to warrant sticking around until you've unlocked poo poo then gently caress that.

Also the unlock system and its currency is poorly handled activity grinding.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm sad to say the insanely cheaper version of Dead Cells is no more. Bundle Stars reduced their discount from 27% to 15% like Steam. There's still the extra 5% coupon (RED5) but it's not like it was....

Found out that by backing Project CARs all those years ago I'm an investor and have been getting paid. I had a phantom $100 sitting in my PayPal. Sadly that barely dents my list for this sale.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Which reminds me that I need to buy Dark Souls II there before the month is out.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Anyone have any opinions on Sol Trader? It looks like it'll fit my trading and story generation desires like a glove. Like some sort of sci-fi economic Crusader Kings II...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

Any opinions on the Immortal Redneck? It seems like a neat little FPS rougelite.

Watched Giant Bomb's quick look on it and it looks very similar to Ziggurat. Not sure how much procedural shooter content can give since a lot of shooters are made by their level design.

That said, I've enjoyed the absolute gently caress out of Strafe so clearly there's something to the genre.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have company coming over on Friday. Which is the best Jackbox?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Never heard of this - is it on sale?

I wish. poo poo's gonna cost me money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

Best to wait for the Holiday sale, then. I'm sure this "company" will still be available. Or wait for a bundle.

They're trying for another kid in August so by Christmas they'll be inundated.

• Locked thread