Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

Visual novels still have interactivity to them or dialogue choices at least and here it's pretty bare even for the genre.

W-which ones have you been playing? Most of the ones I've been playing only involve choices when you're splitting off into branches but are otherwise 100% linear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Ace Attorney for example. Even when the choices lead to the same outcomes it feels like you're...interacting with things, I have no problems with things being linear if you're actually doing stuff. But ok, I'll live with this as an example of old-school genre design.

Oh! Huh. I'd class that as more of an adventure game, but we can argue to the death over it and get nowhere.

But hey, as long as you're happy reading the Silver Case, I hope you enjoy it! It has some really interesting ideas, and its atmosphere is stellar. I'm just picky.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Antioch posted:

Pony Island was great, totally recommended.

I will give Dead Cells a try.

I am eyeing Brigadier based on the soundtrack alone. Is the game worth it?

Brigador (assuming that's what you're asking for) is absolutely worth it. Goon-made isometric mech simulator. Commit warcrimes, enjoy the highly tactical combat - and don't treat it like a twin stick shooter unless you want to get smoked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

What are some games on sale with really good stories?

That's, uh, that feels too broad? What kind of story? What genre?

Have you been to a library lately?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Speaking of goon-made games, The Consuming Shadow is half-off, and is a product of Yahtzee, who made Zero Punctuation reviews and offered Lowtax first dibs. Lowtax offered to pay him in exposure, and he took his talents to South BeachThe Escapist, where they actually pay their writers.

It is EXTREMELY low-budget, just barely above the stuff that showed up on XBox Indie Games, and has some very bad and childish art assets.

That said... if you can get past that, it does a PHENOMENAL job at creeping you out. It very much feels like a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness; what you perceive not only may not be true, but may be the game actively loving with you/your controls.

No real jump scares, just excellent writing and mood/tone management.

Seconding this. It feels deeply unpleasant to experience - just like how you want horror to work! The actual gameplay is fun, too!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kater posted:

I've got a cart to cull.

Please help convince me I don't need none of this poo poo. I need to get it down to at least $60-80 to feel reasonable. My tastes are kind of all over the place if that isn't obvious.

Also I'm very confused by Dying Light. Enhanced Edition The Following includes the following dlc and the base game, and that is the only way to buy the base game? Is that right? It really doesn't help that The Following DLC gets more ad space than the base game on my store front but also says it requires Dying Light The Following Enhanced Edition to run.

Steins;Gate: are you going to read it all in the next month or so? If not, wait for the winter sale. (It's a good VN but don't be me and buy three of the things when I haven't finished reading any yet. ><)

Subnautica: It is not finished and won't be finished for like another year. Wait on it! (Also it has performance issues.)

Batman Telltale: I heard it starts good and ends as a wet fart, pardon my crude language. Skip? (Also like the VN are you gonna read/watch it soon?)

No comment on the rest outside of holy hell, I'm jealous that you get to play Death Road to Canada and Mini Metro for the first time ever. I love, love love love those games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dragomorph posted:

Don't usually go to this thread, but I thought I'd just warn anybody off The Quest, which got recommended here, unless they're really the sort of person who can ignore really blatant misogyny. Within an hour of gameplay, I got a subquest to rescue a dude wife who's being held ransom, but said wife apparently prefers it with the bandits. Your only options are to either commit a crime, side with the bandits, get half of the ransom money and bring the wife back, or kill the bandits, then get the wife drunk and drag her back anyway. :gonk: Between that, the fact the game seems to assume in all your dialogue choices you're going to flirt like a guy regardless of what gender you choose, and the fact that half the women you run into at the very beginning are prostitutes, I'd say it's too janky to put up with that sort of stuff.

Hey, thanks for the warning! It was on my wishlist and now it isn't. :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kater posted:

I decided to take this advice to the furthest extent possible and pared my huge list down to just What Remains of Edith Finch and Wolfenstein. Because I want to play both of them immediately, right now. I still want the others, but the feeling is less direct.

Thanks a buncho.

Happy to help! Have fun!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

kater posted:

Trip Report: What Remains of Edith Finch is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

I just spent the last of my steambux on the House of Fata Morgana (I now have too many VNs to read, but listen: Iiii don't caaaare I'm gonna have fun reading them all~) so I can't pick this up, but - you've convinced me to stick it on my wishlist. Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ArfJason posted:

sold a csgo skin and ended up with 34 bucks, so far this is my list

anything i should reconsider

I didn't like Kairo and found it too...dull to be interesting. Devil Daggers also only has one level, so to speak - you're fighting to improve your skill at that single level, so... if it still sounds appealing, go for it.

The rest looks good, though I can't speak about Quake or Resident Evil.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oy oy oy quit telling him to avoid System Shock! The enhanced edition is legit great - you have mouselook, it runs fine on modern systems, and the game itself is fun! I love how colorful and strange it is, especially compared to the remake's demo - it felt oppressively modern in how flat the colors were, and how it wasn't fun to look at or move around in it.

I feel the original has a ton of charm the remake will strip out, basically, so please give it a shot!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

i spent about $70 and got 26 games, and 4 gifted to me

You! I want to thank you for recommending Pizza Express, for 69 cents it's been a perfect alternative to Cook Serve Delicious, albeit a lot clickier.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Is death road to canada worth it around 10 euros? Definitely going in on NBA2K17 for 12 bucks. Heard the career mode is fun, and there aren't a lot of good sports games on pc. At least not until super mega baseball 2 comes out.

Yes. The gameplay is solid, and there's tons of replayability, plus the devs have been adding new stuff like crazy lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Chobayt posted:

Anyone have anything to say about my picks from the Humble Store sale before I go ahead and pull the trigger?

Monstrum
TIS-100
Space Pirates and Zombies
Hammerwatch
Eldritch
A.I. War Collection
Sproggiwood

$21.98

Any recommendations/words of caution appreciated.

Sproggiwood is 100% A+ good, enjoy it!

TIS-100 meanwhile - read the manual first. Please read the manual before buying this game. If it's still looking good, go for it. If not, uh, don't be me and assume that you'll figure it out as you go along. No. It wants you to really learn what it's doing.

• Locked thread