Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
GabeN paved the way so that others may follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Unless there's a beneficial pricing error, wait for an hour or two before buying anything.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
They've already started the sale!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
If someone would like to trade Dark Souls 2 for something else, hit me up: http://steamcommunity.com/id/KotyDwa/

I'm getting the humble monthly, but I already have DS2, so...

Also, is it just me or has the store been freezing randomly for the past few weeks for no reason?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Mods please change the thread title to "THERE ARE NO DAILIES OR FLASH SALES" thanks

I wanted to say "Read the OP", but the OP doesn't actually contain this information.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Consider getting Earth Defense Force 4.1 plus mission packs if you have a crew to run the game with and you feel like nothing in this sale is grabbing you.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

axeil posted:

I saw a review that said Prey felt like a modern System Shock 2. Is that accurate? The atmosphere in System Shock 2 was really good but the story also helped engage me and I haven't heard anything about Prey's story so I don't want to consider it if the story is pretty meh.

Yes. It's the spiritual sequel we should have gotten with Bioshock, but didn't.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Is the Sticker page hanging for anyone else?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Trampy Vampy posted:

The Majesty series sounds like it might be fun, but which one should I get? Majesty 1 seems to be universally loved, but would it be too dated for me to get into at this point? Majesty 2 looks great to me, but people aren't as hot on it for some reason. Would its shortcomings be apparent to a newcomer to the series?

It's a shame they've never released a sequel to the excellent and timeless Majesty 1.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Glass Masquerade is a chill stained-glass puzzle game. I'm not sure how this flew under my radar, it's exactly my jam. Definitely check it out.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

LEGO Genetics posted:

I'm thinking about Steredenn

I like shmups, but I'm not sure if I love them.

Any goons wanna convince me?

Play Diadra Empty instead. And Crimzon Clover if you haven't already.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Alan Smithee posted:

Nier yes or no

Yes.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Any opinions on the Immortal Redneck? It seems like a neat little FPS rougelite.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Now that I've had the chance to play Immortal Redneck a little, it feels as if Ziggurat, Doom and Rouge Legacy had a baby without any of the warts. I'll have to play more to get a more solid opinion, but first impressions are positive - the game has charm and the mechanics to go along with it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I'd like to thank Jamfrost Jamiro for out-of-the-blue carpet bombing me with a plethora of cool gifts!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Lakbay posted:

Someone posted an early access action RPG that was a straight vanillaware art style/Dragon's Crown ripoff down to big titty anime protagonist, I don't remember name but it was in this thread iirc

The Vagrant.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Probottt posted:

Are Final Fantasy 5 and 6 worth getting on Steam? I've got a hankering to play 5 and I would love to play 6 but I've also heard that the Steam versions of both are kind of hit-or-miss.

Don't inflict this pain on yourself. They phoned it in with the Steam versions.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Serious DLC gives you a Serious Sam-themed skin, but also replaces the narrator with Serious Sam himself, complete with new dialogue that discusses the story from a more meta perspective.

The voiceover is hilarious and well worth the second playthrough.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Mr E posted:

Could I get horror games recommendations? I beat SOMA a few weeks ago and loved it, and have the first Amnesia and Alien: Isolation to play. Pretty much any style would be fine since I haven't played a ton of horror games after Silent Hill 4.

These will be random as hell, but they're all horror games of various sorts.

Mad Father
Angels of Death
Hello Charlotte - the first episode is free on itch.io and you should definitely play it first (save often and plenty)
The House in Fata Morgana - to explain why would be spoilerish as hell
RE:Kinder - this is just all kinds of screwed up, and there's even a story to this game
Spooky's House of Jumpscares - there's also a paid HD version that includes the DLC as part of the whole package, so definitely pick that one up

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

extra stout posted:

Golf With Your Friends was my favorite five dollar game last year, it got kind of slow on updates, like half a year with nothing but a few bug fixes, I just booted 'er up and see three new good looking maps, played one and it's really well designed. It's four bucks now and has more stuff than last year, it's officially THE GOON GAME, enjoy

Golf With Your Friends is THE mini-golf game. Grab it, enjoy it, end friendships.

EDIT: Wow, they've seriously improved the game in many respects. Absolutely get it if you like mini-golf at all.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 1, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

The Skeleton King posted:

Ziggurat- looks good, but I have heard almost nothing about it. I've been burned on doom-likes before, same with roguelikes, so I am not sure.

I've played it just recently and, honestly, it's somewhat dull.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I had a question about Umineko. I've heard it is a well-regarded visual novel, but I also recall that it was released/translated in chapters over years. Is the one Umineko on steam the whole thing? I see other VNs are released chapter by chapter.

The Steam release contains the first half of the game, called the Question arcs (four in total). The script got retranslated/improved by the people behind the original Witch Hunt translation of the original release, so it's the best version out there.

Umineko has a crazy plot, crazy characters and really good music. It gets anime as hell, but it's fun in a way.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Sounds good to me, then! I tried to play the original some years ago and could not get past the MS Paint artstyle.

I think the new art goes a little bit too much in the opposite direction, but you can switch between the two at the drop of a hat anyway.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Palpek posted:

I forgot about this but somebody posted an interesting article on hidden gems on Steam:

http://www.nition.co/2017/06/finding-hidden-gems-on-steam/

It's a method where games with relatively low ammount of reviews but high ammount of positive ones are listed. There's still a lot of crap there but also some really good games. The article has links to various lists with working links taking you directly to the Steam store.

I wanted to say something, but then I saw Angels with Scaly Wings at 40.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Palpek posted:

The gameplay sections definitely feel like this. The very first playable area has you go to the 2nd floor of a building only for you to discover a door closed with a code - the key to the code is on the 1st floor so you go back to get it and then come back to the closed door (yeah, they really only send you back to waste time).

That's not all though - you then learn that the encryption idea is to jump forward 1 alphabet letter for the first letter of the password, 2 letters for the second, 3 letters for the third and so on. Then the game has you 'solve' a few doors using that. There's no puzzle here, just this tedium of repeating the same encryption pattern over and over.

At the point when one of the passwords was HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY but it's rejected because the serial killer changed it - it became obvious that the dev is just loving with you for the hell of it. Go press some buttons, this is gameplay, you're welcome. It's like that section in The Stanley Parable with pressing the button '8' but unironic.

Which is why they gave you an autosolver for this version of The Silver Case, but it just makes the interactive aspects that much more pointless.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Actually do consider buying IS Defense, it's a surprisingly well-made endless defense game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Xander77 posted:

Is supporting every single goddamned neo-nazi part of the MAGA code?

I didn't even know that. I thought the Hatred controversy was about the game's subject matter.

Shooting up some ISIS soldiers sounded tempting, so I gave the game a try last winter sale and found it fun if somewhat difficult.

People can make up their own minds on this matter.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Quest For Glory II posted:

there's no need to antagonize blattdorf, they already have to live with the forbidden fruit of their trump toxx victory

Speaking of which, UglyCrackBaby is the last person to not have paid up. Donate the 60 bucks to SGDQ with some form of proof and let's call it a wrap.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
I'll make sure not to support any neo-nazis.

On a completely unrelated note, I gave one anime season a try and the quality is fine, though they could just let you download the files and play them without streaming.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 4, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Givin posted:

I'm in a similar situation. Bought more games for others than I did myself. I picked up StarCrawlers and Satellite Reign because they were priced for what I'd pay for them. All the gush about Hollow Knight and other goon favorites did little to sway me this year.

I wish there was a button to clear wishlists in one go. Most of the stuff I put on mine was just to watch early access stuff to see if it actually became anything. It's in bad need of cleaning.

I do miss seeing bundles and such on the front page and saying "Somebody is going to have a lot of fun with that bundle because that's a good deal for good games." Now it's just window shopping through mostly turds.

So don't feel too bad. You probably just have everything you want or have been the vet of so many sales that you have all the good deals already. I think the real winners this sale were anyone interested in DIshonored 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Hollow Knight and Dead Cells. Sale prices seemed to put them right at the sweet spot that most people would impulse buy and bite down on. Next year will probably be deeper discounts on stuff like Prey and Nier.

Now that the storefront is no longer full of daily deals, one would think it'd be an opportunity to showcase some lesser known games or do a showcase by genre. Here's a bunch of cool shmups that are great, have a look. There's plenty of room for a more community-driven selection.

Instead it's just automated boringdom top to bottom. There's hardly any point to even look at the front page because all you'll see are the usual suspects plus a few new better-known additions.

The Steam Gift Train is the best way to clear out your wishlist if you're in doubt. Usually people will gift you something they think you might like and it's a nice opportunity to try something new.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The wishlist is empty. Well, someone's mentioned Card Quest, so I'm keeping tabs on that one come next sale, but otherwise it's empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

DaveKap posted:

Summer Sales aren't over, thread doesn't need killing!

The Humble Bundle one just started, might as well keep it alive for a bit longer.

• Locked thread