Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

codo27 posted:

I'm gonna say you will probably have 0 people to play with online. The way it is on PC. I bought it when it was new cause I'm a MK fanatic and though I never stuck with it much cause I didn't like it (also was a fan of 9) there was no playerbase. Cant see it being much different now.

According to Steamcharts it's currently got about 1300 people playing it now which, while not a huge number, still probably makes it one of the most played fighting games on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
More goons need to buy the heavily discounted, Engrishly named, secret best fighting game UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late so I can maybe stop getting my rear end kicked online. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, just about the entire thing is co-op, playing it with my brother after we picked it up this sale. The parkour's also really good, probably the best first-person take on it around. Now would also be a good time to buy into it since they recently announced that they'll be putting out a year's worth of free DLC, inexplicably.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok! I'm finally done putting together my Steam Cart. It's very different from what I posted earlier, mostly due to suggestions I got here on the forums about what games to add/remove. I've gone through it myself five or six times and culled about much as I can on my own. Ignore whether a game is on my wishlist or not, I was mostly just using it as a bookmark.

If you goons can do me a solid and take a chainsaw to it, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on whatever's left.

Me personally, I wasn't a fan of what I played of Sublevel Zero. Maybe it gets better, but early on you're fighting a bunch of static, bland looking enemies and the entire aesthetic didn't really do it for me. If you want a 6DOF shooter I think you're better off waiting for Overload to come out, which is being made by the actual Descent guys.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Downs Duck posted:

Never stops to amaze me how you can be in the game business and still gently caress up like this. Bethesda for sure, but other companies as well. Makes me wonder if the game business is a special case and is so much worse than other businesses are, of actually having a clue on what to do right. Or maybe that producing and selling games is such a hard business to succeed in that you are bound to fail so much? Even if you're supposed to be a professional company at it.

Just seems to me that you have a lot of clear cut gently caress-ups that really shouldn't be if you're a game company knowing what you are producing and selling. It seems so many people in executive positions simply don't.

They went and did the same thing with Prey. Instead of emphasizing that, hey, we've made a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, most of the trailers emphasized the alien blasting action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

I do think that DOOM's success is due to a slingshot effect as the industry at large did a sudden about-face on the game, but that's not really a reproducible model given its unique circumstances (an iconic IP whose last release was pretty poorly received)

Prey didn't enjoy this same effect because it's not an iconic brand - it's not even a bad brand, because worse that that, it's a nothing brand. It either conjures up nothing in your head or vague memories of a native american fighting aliens

I don't know, I'm not in business, but from an outsider's perspective it feels more like Bethesda Mr. Magoo'd their way into success with DOOM

I'm not entirely sure that Doom was even a huge financial success. It's got a pretty good numbers on Steam, but that's after some pretty deep discounts not long after release.

• Locked thread