Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://my.mixtape.moe/pgvnga.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Hopper posted:

I sort of like roguelikes (Shiren the wanderer on the DS for example) for the occasional play and was thinking of getting Swords of the Stars The Pit. I am confused however, there is a gold edition and a bundle that has the gold edition and more dlc. Which one should I get?

And what other good roguelikes are there? (I prefer good graphics, nothing with Ascii code like minimalist stuff, that's just not appealing to me)

Shattered Planet - $2.24 (-85%) - isometric roguelike featuring short runs and progression

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

let me run my steamdb distiller and plug the result into steam.xlsx and i can do things

fake edit - they updated how the data is laid out and broke my poo poo

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay thread, I got a challenge for ya.

I'm looking for some fun or decent action and platformer games, bundles are allowed, and the total cost should be 8 bucks or less.

Hit me with your best shot!

Abyss Odyssey - $2.99 (-80%) - side-scrolling action game set in late 19th-century Chile
They Bleed Pixels - $1.99 (-80%) - action platformer in a cutethulu style
Knytt Underground - $3.49 (-50%) - a large platforming adventure game from Nifflas

edit - i spreadsheeted bad and got the price on KU wrong, have a replacement to get the cost back under 8 bux:

eversion - $2.44 (-51%) - a cute platformer

Reality Winner posted:

You might like Antichamber. It's an FPS puzzler a bit like Talos Principle, but less story focused and with a real cool art aesthetic.

and a steal at the current price:

Antichamber - $3.99 (-80%) - first-person-mindfuck puzzler

also:

Closure - $0.99 (-90%) - puzzle game based on "if it isn't illuminated, it isn't there"
English Country Tune - $0.99 (-80%) - challenging 3D puzzle game
Kairo - $0.84 (-83%) - exploration-puzzler with an minimalist aesthetic
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut - $1.74 (-83%) - sci-fi first-person puzzler
Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube - $1.49 (-85%) - chill first-person puzzler
MirrorMoon EP - $1.29 (-87%) - abstract puzzle game where working out the rules is half the puzzle

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 23, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Junior Jr. posted:

I really want to add a couple of good shmups to my list, even if they are a bunch of japanese indie ones, anyone know some good ones?

not my strongest area, but:

REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR - $2.99 (-70%) - on-rails 3d shmup, where you can rotate the play-field
Pixel Galaxy - $1.99 (-80%) - bullet-hellish shmup, but that's okay - ram into into enemies to gain protection and their attack pattern
Star Saviors - $0.49 (-75%) - a neat shmup game
Retro/Grade - $1.99 (-80%) - rhythm-based shmup

ArfJason posted:

wait what i could swear knytt underground didnt have a sale percentage on my wishlist

steamdb doesn't list this on sale either, but the store page does
it's 50% ($3.49) and not what I had above.. I rechecked things and i spreadsheeet good now :downs:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Awesome! posted:

i assume factorio is also not on sale based on prior history and poe is a f2p game. he got you good

the trick is to pretend.

Factorio - $20.00 (-33%) - pretend that the discount is real and say goodbye to the next hundreds of hours

:proof:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

yes, but: very polished, bug are squashed quickly, large amount of mods with in-game support for them, devs are awesome and do weekly dev posts

it's one of the good ones

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Glare Seethe posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, small / modest / short games? I'm thinking of stuff like Refunct, Proteus or Mountain, games that offer a short but unique experience, maybe slightly experimental (but doesn't have to be), that you can knock off in a couple of sittings.

Ossuary - $3.99 (-60%) - surreal puzzle adventure game
NaissanceE - $3.74 (-75%) - very atmospheric exploration game, a great experience
McPixel - $0.99 (-80%) - stop the bomb exploding! You have 20 seconds!
Bad Mojo Redux - $0.59 (-90%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Trampy Vampy posted:

The Majesty series sounds like it might be fun, but which one should I get? Majesty 1 seems to be universally loved, but would it be too dated for me to get into at this point? Majesty 2 looks great to me, but people aren't as hot on it for some reason. Would its shortcomings be apparent to a newcomer to the series?

Warlock: Master of the Arcane

Ragequit posted:

For anyone that picks up Darkest Dungeon who doesn't like tedium, do what I did and edit some of the config files to make the quest loot and gold 5-10x greater. The combat will still be tough and rewarding but you probably won't want to kill yourself as you build up your town and characters.

"wanting to kill yourself as you involve yourself deeper in eldritch horrors" is one of the core elements of the genre, though

Hopper posted:

422 games in my steam list is already plenty.

:frogout:

Zaphiel posted:

Try Spice Road or Port Royale 2 for trading games.

Spice Road is good. 16bit Trader is not.

Zathril posted:

Any opinions on Particle Fleet: Emergence? I liked Creeper World 3.

I had a fun time with it and I recommend CW3 at any given opportunity

Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal - $4.94 (-67%) - sci-fi TDalike about stopping a relentless mass of blue ooze

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 25, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bringing back an old effort-post of mine about Roguelikes, my favorite genre!

Roguelikes

a good effortposte, just want to add that the Spike Chunsoft remake of One Way Heroics, Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics on sale at 90% off.

-Blackadder- posted:

Uh...so this is what my steam cart looks like right now. Most of it is pretty heavily discounted (~75%), but I still think I could really use some help cutting this down...

One Finger Death Punch
Portal Bundle
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
Stardew Valley
Creeper World 3
The Dweller

Halp!

these are the stand-out keepers for me (both Portal games are 90% off) You can skip Craft the World this time if you want to trim excess. I liked it but not enough to recommended it over other games when someone is trying to fit within a budget

-Blackadder- posted:

Since I've heard that the original game has been much improved upon what are the best Minecraft-like's for someone who's never played Minecraft?

2D - Terraria
3D - Creativerse

others:

Asteria - $0.99 (-90%) - terraria-alike where each tier of tech is earned through a unique map and boss fight
Darkout - $3.74 (-81%) - a terraria-alike with enemies that are weak to bright lights

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What are some of the better available FPSs of the past 6 or 7 years. I haven't played one in forever.

DooM, Prey, Wolfenstien are the ones that are frequently get the goon thumb of approval, have some others:

Blood and Bacon - $0.79 (-20%) - the best shooting-pigs-till-they-explode game of all time
Heavy Bullets - $2.49 (-75%) - roguelike FPS where you only have six re-useable bullets
Receiver - $1.99 (-60%) - minimalist fps.
Space Beast Terror Fright - $9.74 (-35%) - SPACE. BEAST. TERROR. FRIGHT.
Ziggurat - $3.74 (-75%) - first-person action roguelite

A Banana posted:

- Legend of grimrock 2

Have a look at Heroes of a Broken Land if you like the first-person dungeon crawlers, it even has a demo available

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 25, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Don't forget that the Princess Maker-esque Long Live The Queen is on sale for $5.49. Go dancing! Eat Chocolates! Murder usurpers with magic!

Also thanks to Blackadder for gifting me The Zombiriffic Adventures of Sheva Alomar and Swole Beefshirt

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

HenryEx posted:

These loving chocolates...

Dark Souls has the Capra Demon, LLTQ has chocolates

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Tenzarin posted:

Anyone know some cool vive games on sale?

Yon Paradox - a time-fuckery puzzle game. at regular intervals you warp back in time, but each loop creates a copy of you that does what you did. However, you cannot allow yourself to be seen by your past selves, because that would cause a deadly paradox

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm not making my next batch purchase yet but i know what it'll be: fairy fencer f, magic circle, last door S2 and quantum conundrum

that'll leave me with close to 4 dollars and maybe i'll get one more game beyond this and that'll probably be it for me for the sale, so i'll let card drops and stuff get my steam wallet up higher. then get maybe sublevel zero. idk

you'd have a better time with sublevel zero than with quantum conundrum, unless you really enjoy first-person precision jumping puzzles

-Blackadder- posted:

Sooo, a few more games crept into my cart that I need some goon opinions on to whittle down...

7 Days to Die -60% $9.99
The Consuming Shadow -50% $4.99
Devil Daggers -50% $2.49
The Last Door Season One -75% $2.49
Adam Wolfe All Episodes -85% 2.99
Super House of the Dead Ninjas -80% $1.39
Summer Sale Puzzles Bundle (World of Goo, Machinarium, Samorost 2, SpaceChem, Tiny Bang Story, Gateways, The Bridge, Tetrobot & Co, The Room, Sokobond) -87% $10.74

these are good things at gooder prices

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 29, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Quest For Glory II posted:

i do

i cant screencap my batch #4 but i already said the games so it's no big deal.

Giveaway #4: One Piece Pirate Warriors 3

reply and I will PM a gift link. yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

thank you for the crazy shonen pirate game

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 29, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

DontMindMe posted:

SquareCells

is rather weak compared to hexcells, you can get LYNE and get a whole lot more puzzlegame for your eighty-nine cents

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

-Blackadder- posted:

More goon opinions needed...

Beat Hazard - shooting things to the tune of One-Winged Angel is fun
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR - spinning right round baby right round is fun
Plague Inc: Evolved - global extinction is fun
Axiom Verge - old-school metroid is fun

--------

victrix posted:

One Way Heroics Plus: Rogue-like-ish game with a really clever conceit. You constantly move right, fleeing the darkness from the left. Simple to play, comfortable controls, lots of clever mechanics, and a ton of unlockable stuff. I'd skip the very newest release, plus is a straight update of the original release with more content, the newer one is a commercial remakeish thing.

In case you aren't aware, the Spike-Chunsoft version of this (Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics) is under a buck right now.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 1, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

QBEH - The Atlas Cube - It's the chill variant of that genre

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

DontMindMe posted:

Did another dive into hidden gem threads and came up with another list of possible gems/trash. Any feedback on what to keep/drop?

Militia - neat puzzle/strategy game
140 - short platformer, I had fun with it
NEO Scavenger - I am not good at this game but I can't fault the game for that

EDIT: Dropped REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR, added Pharaoh Rebirth - don't drop REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR it is a fun shmup
EDIT 2: I've gone mad. Added a bunch of other stuff

-Blackadder- posted:

Morrowind or Oblivion?

get Morrowind. Morrowind features a strange land to get lost in. Oblivion features Patrick Stewart

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

FRACT OSC
Quake - steam version doesn't actually have the music the original version has

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

for those complaining that steam sales are boring now, it is because valve don't make games anymore

anyway: haul:

HyperRogue + Hydra Slayer - these two are interesting almost-rogues
The Temporal Invasion
LIT
Idle Evolution
Immortal Redneck - fun
Quarantine - a vidja-boardgame similar to Plague Inc except you are not the virus
Weapon Shop Fantasy
Hieroglyphika + Voodoo Garden + The Cat Games
imprint-X
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians - v.good first-person dungeon crawler
The Rosefinch Curse (Ning's Wing 1) - escape the place game that can be obtuse at times
Hade - cool puzzle game
Pristine world
ShellShock Live - fun
Dead Cells - fun++
Sentris
Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics

packages from the train:
Slugcat Fantasy X HD Remaster from Ephphatha (rain world + FFX/X-2)
Code of Princess from Shadow225 - side-scrolling brawler lifted from the DS
Eador: Imperium from SA_Avenger
Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy from sklurb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Zathril posted:

Huh, I remember playing this as a flash game tears ago, does the steam version add anything?

i'm not sure, there are "freshman trial" and "later story" modes apart from "normal game", and you do have the option of playing it in Chinese.

The sequel (Cube Hotel) is also available on Steam as well.

• Locked thread