Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

No Mods No Masters posted:

It just gave me 13 trading cards for completing my discovery queue for some reason :unsmith:

Ah, so I'm not a special snowflake. Suspected as much, good to have confirmation.

Had to reload the queue several times due to server and critical errors, maybe that botched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This year, I will pretty much only buy games and play them immediately. :feelsgood:
Seriously, try it.

Kicked the sale off with The Turing Test.
While it's certainly no Portal/Portal 2, it has some nice brain teasers with varying mechanics. Steam clocked me at 5 hours, which is fine for EUR 8.00 I paid.
Epilogue spoiler: I was totally on TOMs side. Earth/Humanity is not ready for a fountain of youth.

Next up: DooM.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Oxenfree: Someone recommended this as an emotional, story based game after I raved about Life Is Strange.

I enjoyed it, it's kind of a 2D walking simulator with a few puzzles thrown in.
Very dialogue heavy, but the writing and voice acting felt well above average.

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

[Ori]
I thought I read that they fixed the most egregious issues with those sequences in Ori. Have I got that wrong, cause that's one I've had my eye on too?

The first escape sequence one was the most infuriating for me, because it went on a tad too long and required some bullshit manouevres at the end.
I was burned out (ha!) during the fire level (around 85% completion, I would guess), because difficulty seemed to spike at this point again. All in all I'd recommend it still, it's beautiful, and, aside some spots, finds a nice balance between being challenging, but fair.

bumblingbee posted:

[Wolfenstein cross region gifts]
Has gifting across regions been removed as well?

Because I'm looking to get an uncensored version of the Wolfenstein games.

Some of them used to be geo-locked for certain regions, so be careful there. For instance, you will only be able to unlock and play the german dialogue/censored version in Germany. A gifted US copy will not run (please correct me if this has changed, because I would like to get the US version for TNO and OB...

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 24, 2017

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hopper posted:

Wolfenstein for Germans:
The region lock is only for 90 days for some reason and there is a complicated workaround based on that apparently.
1. Go to a country outside Germany, e.g. Sweden
2. Log into your steam account with the Swedish IP and change your payment method. Add a Swedish payment method, such as a Swedish credit card with a Swedish billing address.
Steam the changes your country.
3. Buy and activate Wolfenstein in Sweden.
4. Go back to Germany, try to start Wolfenstein. Steam won't let you. 5. Wait 90 days and try again, now it should work.

That sounds like a completely reasonable effort.

Edit: Trip report game #2 - forgot I bought it along with The Turing Test, so I had to play it before I can buy the next game.

Virginia [EUR 2.49]
Only buy if you enjoy Walking Simulators without any real puzzles, decision making or dialogue(!) and just minimal interaction. The story is quite incoherent and gets literally trippy towards the end. Steam reviews have praised it for being twinpeaky and lynchian. So if that is your cup of tea, you might enjoy it a bit more than I did. It's not terrible, but if you're expecting more than I just described, you will very likely be disappointed.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 24, 2017

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Captain Magic posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Cryptark?

Deffo buying it on one of the next sales for 75% off.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I just noticed that Wuppo also has a demo.

Highly recommended - I was kind of turned off by the game trailers, but the demo sold me on the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Only bought games this sale that I actually started playing immediately or even finished instead of letting them rot in my backlog for years (579 games in my library).

Played and finished Turing Test, Virginia, DooM, still playing Wuppo.

This feels really, really good and made me appreciate the games and the sale so much more.
Give it a shot next time. There will always be another sale.

• Locked thread