Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
GOON MADE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiMYH9bHcY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I was going through my queue and Warhammer 40k Space Marine came up, how is it? I remember playing a demo on my 360 ages ago but can't remember if I liked it or not.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Thanks for the review, I'll pass on the game. Been having fun with Dawn of War 3 so I'll just stick to that :)

Also anyone interested in DoW3, green man gaming has it for $30, less than Steam (of course no refund...). Fans of previous games have lots of problems with the game but I find the RTS gameplay fun, with lots of spectacle in the battles that make them very entertaining (though with too many micro abilities to keep track of), but it absolutely is lacking content. It really needs more maps, a co-op mode, at its price point. The campaign's story is stupid but the missions are more fun than not. I don't do competitive multiplayer but I hear it's pretty dead, might pick up a bit because of the sale. I've gotten 30 hours out of my $30 from GMG and am happy with it but I wouldn't recommend the game without reservations however.

Does anyone have some thoughts on Divinity: Dragon Commander, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, or Cossacks 3 they'd like to share? Would appreciate it.

I've picked up Hollow Knight and I might pick up a few more sub-$10 games that look fun.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

strategery posted:

At least censorship results in something positive - creativity

My opinion, of course. Couldnt go too wrong anyway you choose.

From what I understand:
DOW1: Its like Starcraft(ish)
DOW2: Its syndicate
DOW3: Its DOTA

Personally I liked DOW1 and 2 a lot. A lot of people hate one or the other because they are not what they expected, but I rather like each one having its own style.

DOW3 borrows some MOBA elements but it's not a MOBA. The standard multiplayer mode's win condition is destroying the enemy core; but to do this you need to destroy 2 structures before you get to the core, first a shield generator (that enemies can garrison guys in), and then a super turret, then you can kill the core. These structures make the map paths (what RTS doesnt have paths/lanes?) more pronounced/like lanes. I really like it because it basically stops the standard RTS tactic of early rush, and helps pace out a match.

They recently patched in Annihilation Mode, which is the standard RTS kill all enemy structures to win.

There are hero units (that are really loving cool) but you cant customize them beyond one buff option (called doctrines) that affects your faction, not the hero unit itself. After a match is done they get XP that can unlock a currency bonus (for unlocking other heroes/doctrines), a new doctrine for your faction, and eventually a new skin.

You can choose up to 3 hero units to use in a match, with different "Elite Point" cost. You get elite points in a match at a standard rate (by time), with a bonus to that if you capture a specific resource point. Heroes cost different amounts of points, with the gigantic ones costing a lot of points, making you choose between a lower cost unit that can swing early fights or waiting for the endgame heroes if you can hold out long enough

https://fat.gfycat.com/DeliciousAptCockroach.webm

I think the core gameplay is a lot of fun but not enough content for the steam sale price. Green man gaming has it for less but then you cant refund it if you dont like it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Grey Goo Definitive Edition is $2 on US Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Grey-Goo-Definitive-Online-Game/dp/B072QCSZ8J/ , this is probably a price error because the orig version is $4 on Amazon, pick it up!

It's a RTS in the vein of Command and Conquer, and it's pretty good. Multiplayer is dead but the campaign alone is worth $2 and you might get a kick out of skirmish.

The campaign's story is generic but presented really well; you get introduced to each side as the story progresses, culminating in a mission where you get to use the respective side's superunit. The Goo faction is really cool and plays unlike most RTS factions, it has no buildings, just "Mother Goo"'s you can move around and spawn units off of, but you can use itself as a weapon and just roll over armies eating them with a huge mass of nanotechnology goo.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Someone was asking about older FPSs earlier, and I will say Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood is worth a look. If you don't have CoJ: Gunslinger, get that one first, it's great, but Bound in Blood is decent and has satisfying shooting. You get a melodramatic story about some brothers looking for their El Dorado, and on some missions you get a choice of one of the McCall brothers, Thomas who can shoot farther with his rifle, and can lasso himself up to higher places, or Ray, the crazy schizophrenic who wears a metal breastplate and dual wields revolvers (always pick Ray).

Looks like there's a demo for it on Steam so try it out first.

Titanfall 2 is not on steam, not on sale on origin, but it is on sale on US amazon (Origin key) for $20, and has an amazing campaign. https://www.amazon.com/Titanfall-2-Online-Game-Code/dp/B01H0LFJWA

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Gameko posted:

After all this post apocalypse talk, can someone recommend a few post apocalypse games? I've played all the fallouts up to New Vegas. I haven't played FO4. Genre doesn't matter much as I'm eyeing Caves of Qud for my post apoc game this sale.

I haven't played any of the wastelands. Are they worth it?

Metro 2033/Last Light bundle.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

black.lion posted:

Are there any hidden FPS gems out there like Call if Juarez that look good and are fun but dont try to scare you or have a story or anything besides murder.

I bought the first Call of Juarez this sale and beat it already, had fun with it, but boy was it rough. Gunslinger and Bound in Blood are way better.

Been on a western kick and picked up Gun as well, but refunded it. Ive played it before on the gamecube a couple times, but it was showing its age too much on PC and nostalgia wasn't enough for me to keep on playing. Might be time for another Red Dead Redemption playthrough.

edit: Gun had a great main theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwcd8grt5Dc

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 1, 2017

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ephori posted:

Is Dawn of War 3 good if I liked the first two? It's hard to get a bead on this from reviews.

I'd hold off until it's cheaper/patched more, unless you watch your time for the refund window (if bought on Steam). It is completely unlike DoW2, it's more a straight RTS like DoW1 but is lacking some things fans of DoW1 enjoyed, like morale.

From earlier in the thread I posted this:

PlushCow posted:

Also anyone interested in DoW3, green man gaming has it for $30, less than Steam (of course no refund...). Fans of previous games have lots of problems with the game but I find the RTS gameplay fun, with lots of spectacle in the battles that make them very entertaining (though with too many micro abilities to keep track of), but it absolutely is lacking content. It really needs more maps, a co-op mode, at its price point. The campaign's story is stupid but the missions are more fun than not. I don't do competitive multiplayer but I hear it's pretty dead, might pick up a bit because of the sale. I've gotten 30 hours out of my $30 from GMG and am happy with it but I wouldn't recommend the game without reservations however.

PlushCow posted:

DOW3 borrows some MOBA elements but it's not a MOBA. The standard multiplayer mode's win condition is destroying the enemy core; but to do this you need to destroy 2 structures before you get to the core, first a shield generator (that enemies can garrison guys in), and then a super turret, then you can kill the core. These structures make the map paths (what RTS doesnt have paths/lanes?) more pronounced/like lanes. I really like it because it basically stops the standard RTS tactic of early rush, and helps pace out a match.

They recently patched in Annihilation Mode, which is the standard RTS kill all enemy structures to win.

There are hero units (that are really loving cool) but you cant customize them beyond one buff option (called doctrines) that affects your faction, not the hero unit itself. After a match is done they get XP that can unlock a currency bonus (for unlocking other heroes/doctrines), a new doctrine for your faction, and eventually a new skin.

You can choose up to 3 hero units to use in a match, with different "Elite Point" cost. You get elite points in a match at a standard rate (by time), with a bonus to that if you capture a specific resource point. Heroes cost different amounts of points, with the gigantic ones costing a lot of points, making you choose between a lower cost unit that can swing early fights or waiting for the endgame heroes if you can hold out long enough

https://fat.gfycat.com/DeliciousAptCockroach.webm

I think the core gameplay is a lot of fun but not enough content for the steam sale price. Green man gaming has it for less but then you cant refund it if you dont like it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Sacred Cow posted:

Gave myself a reality check on my backlog between my Steam catalog and PS4 and went with just Thumper and Hollow Knight. Hopefully I can get through MGS V and Witcher 3 before the winter sale.

I picked up Hollow Knight as well and have been playing it, it's fun but it took a little bit to get into it. My only major annoyance is that there really should be save benches at or near a boss fight; I've had a hell of a time at a boss in the mines and the run back has been super annoying. I thought castlevania/metroid always had save spots near bosses but it's been awhile since I've played one.

I did not give myself a reality check and panic bought FFX/X-2 Remaster this morning. Never played it but I have enough to get me to the winter sale and beyond, I might give it a go and see if it grabs me within the refund window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Axetrain posted:

All I got for this sale was Stellaris DLC, and also Dead Cells since it was so highly recommended here and elsewhere. The DLC for Stellaris is pretty great. I haven't touched Stellaris since launch since I thought it was kind of bare bones at the time but now the game feels much more fleshed out with alot of content. And considering it's a Paradox game they will probably keep adding more cool stuff to it for years. Probably gonna sink a ton of time into it.

Then I tried Dead Cells thinking I would just play for a little bit before bed to get the controls down. Holy poo poo, I couldn't put it down. Must have burned 7 hours into my eyeballs playing it into the early morning. Unbelievably satisfying fluid combat with tons and tons of items that can all have crazy synergies with each other. The permanent unlock system paired with it's rougelike nature really makes you itch to hit new game whenever you die. Doesn't hurt that the game looks gorgeous either. Like Castlevania: Sotn with some Dark Souls, and dare I say, a hint of BoI thrown in. Plays fantastic, looks fantastic, extremely fun. Only downside is that it early access right now and I'm aware it's pretty short at the moment (about 15-20 hours I hear), but this shaping up to be just stunningly good once it's finished.

I picked up Dead Cells as well but I have a habit of buying early access games but not actually playing them until they get released, with one exception (Naval Action). I have two early access games I bought in last year's summer sale, Cryptark, which was recently released, and The Long Dark, which releases in a month.

But I really don't think I can't wait on Dead Cells (at least until after I beat Hollow Knight).

• Locked thread