Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

PlushCow posted:

I was going through my queue and Warhammer 40k Space Marine came up, how is it? I remember playing a demo on my 360 ages ago but can't remember if I liked it or not.

A bit late, but here's my take on it: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/55150/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

PlushCow posted:

Thanks for the review, I'll pass on the game. Been having fun with Dawn of War 3 so I'll just stick to that :)

Also anyone interested in DoW3, green man gaming has it for $30, less than Steam (of course no refund...). Fans of previous games have lots of problems with the game but I find the RTS gameplay fun, with lots of spectacle in the battles that make them very entertaining (though with too many micro abilities to keep track of), but it absolutely is lacking content. It really needs more maps, a co-op mode, at its price point. The campaign's story is stupid but the missions are more fun than not. I don't do competitive multiplayer but I hear it's pretty dead, might pick up a bit because of the sale. I've gotten 30 hours out of my $30 from GMG and am happy with it but I wouldn't recommend the game without reservations however.

Does anyone have some thoughts on Divinity: Dragon Commander, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, or Cossacks 3 they'd like to share? Would appreciate it.

I've picked up Hollow Knight and I might pick up a few more sub-$10 games that look fun.

You're welcome. And if by some miracle you haven't tried it already, MetalGear Rising: Revengeance is everything of 3rd person spectacle swordplay that the chainsaw-wielding Space Marine game is not.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

How's Dying Light? I'm looking for some fun 4 player co-op with friends and I heard it's pretty solid for that.

Also is The Following part of it (the image seems to imply so?) and is the season pass worth getting? Or any of the DLC?

Here you go: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/239140

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Bedlam posted:

I went ahead and bit down on a GMG loot box with the coupon they emailed me. I kept toybox racing, here are the others if anyone wants them; please post if you grabbed one.

CYBERHUNT: R7ZZG-QAKW2-NGMRG

I took a chance on this one, thank you.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

I made a thing for people looking for cheap games. Most of these are kinda old since I haven't been gung-ho about Steam Sales in a fair bit, but they're games that made an impression on me. Beatbuddy, in particular, is really cool if you want a chill kinda-platformer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1npUlxR1kQ

This was great, thank you.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

company coming over on Friday

Never heard of this - is it on sale?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I wish. poo poo's gonna cost me money.

Best to wait for the Holiday sale, then. I'm sure this "company" will still be available. Or wait for a bundle.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They're trying for another kid in August so by Christmas they'll be inundated.

If it's getting the first of potentially many DLCs in August I'd wait for the GOTY edition.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

kater posted:

pretty sure that many add-ons just ruins the company

It depends if it's just cosmetic DLC or a true expansion taking time to nurture. If you can idle the DLC with Steam Achievement Babysitter, you're good to go.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Lakbay posted:

This is my first time buying stuff in a steam sale since xmas 2015 and I swear some stuff was cheaper then. Has this been a trend recently and will stuff not get deeper discounts in the fall/winter sales?

I believe some or most of the AAA publisheres have decided the previous sale discounts were too much, so they are now reining-in. All Steam games and library jokes aside - if that's true it might be the best opportunity to start playing some games instead of just accumulating them.

Kin posted:

Someone tell me something horribly annoying about Dark Souls 3. I'm on the verge of buying it but have a load of good games in my backlog already.

Sure: https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/374320/

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2017

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Lakbay posted:

I mostly buy indie games during sales and even those seem to not have as big discounts. I had a "buy when it's $5 or less" rule but a lot of stuff I expected to be at that price point are at $6.79 or $7.50 and most of them are a couple of years old

The AAA policy might have "trickled down" to the indie publishers? Not sure. Also, bundles are still a thing, so sale or not I know I'll inevitably add to my already big library. There should be a time cost from howlongtobeat.com or something at this point, the addiction is real.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I've got a couple games in my Steam inventory I'd like to get rid of. They're a bit old, but if anyone's interested:

Thank you for Torchlight :)

Ragequit posted:

Since I have seen requests of play though lengths pop up here a few times, everyone should be aware of https://howlongtobeat.com/ . I use it fairly often when deciding what games to buy or when choosing what to play next.

Is there any reason why this doesn't have the simple login with Steam option like Steam completionist and others? It looks better than other sites, but I'm not sure why I have to register an account.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 29, 2017

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

2. Another helpful tip I've realized is to essentially "know what I like" and not get games that are outside my personal genre preferences no matter how many thousands of overwhelmingly positive reviews they have. For example, I've just never been able to get into platformers. So even though Ori and the Blind Forest has 6k Overwhelmingly Positive reviews, it's just not a good buy for me, at least not until it's at a bigger discount and after I've already exhausted buying all the games in genre's that I do tend to enjoy like, 3rd Person Action RPG's.

That's a nice idea and I've tried doing something similar. It just makes me wish for better personal Steam curation, like they say they want you to have. Like if they actually had a system that would work to recommend games fitted for your tastes rather than the haphazard thing they have now including "Recommended just to see if you're interested" or Recommended to you because it is popular".

I'm really hoping they have something to present towards that endeavour once the summer sale is over.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Cross-posting from the Steam thread as the region thing might be interesting for more people/get more answers here.

Quick question about Steam gifting and their region-retarded thing:
I jumped on a key in the gift thread and got this message when trying to activate it:

"Not Available
Sorry, but the following items are not avilable for purchase in this country. Your purchase has been cancelled."

-Game was Saints Row IV.
-I don't have it from before.
-I'm situated in Norway, we don't have any censorship on games at all, so I would expect all versions to activate normally.

Never had this happen to my before, all keys have activated pefectly before. Anyone knows what's up?

Game is no biggie, but I would sure like to understand the region thing better, if it fucks up even activating keys at this point.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

SRIV has a lot of licensed music so maybe it's region locked for that?

Didn't think of that, so yeah, that might be the cause for sure.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Sixto Lezcano posted:

RogueTroidVania

New favorite tag.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

kater posted:

new wave metroidwhatevers

NewWaveRogueTroidVania.

There we go.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Question about the "Encore" text on the front page: Was there any days where any of the games had a 24h deal or so that difffered from the rest of the sale's days? I seem to remember someone mentioning GalGun, but nothing else. And I seem to recall Ubisoft doing this for 24 hours during a former Holiday sale.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I just remember that Shadowgrounds exists. You can buy it and its standalone expansion, Shadowgrounds Survivor, for 2 bucks right now. It's a good get if "top down shooter with the pacing and atmosphere of half-life" sounds appealing to you at all. The base game also has local co-op, which is neato.

Definitely agreed, they were both much better than I thought:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/2500
https://steamcommunity.com/id/ghost_of_bukowski/recommended/11200

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

sebmojo posted:

park a car under a tree and when you come back it's covered in leaves

That's some cool poo poo.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I think the common ground between Dark Souls and Dead Cells is more that combat is always, always, always potentially deadly. In most metroidvanias you inevitably reach a point where you have enough health or powers to just shrug off everything but the bosses. In Dead Cells, though, every enemy can wreck you if you stop paying attention for even a moment. Beyond that the actual combat is a brilliant inversion of Dark Souls, where instead of baiting out attacks and taking advantage, you've got to get in there and gently caress people up as fast as possible. If you hesitate or play it too safe enemies can tear you apart, so speed and brutality are in high demand. I think that's what makes it feel so good to play... Dead Cells doesn't want you to make measured, balanced characters to face diverse challenges, it wants you to become a blood-gargling psychopath that mulches everything in sight instantly. And everything from the synergy between weapons to the timed doors is designed to support that.

Thanks for overselling me on the game even though I got it gifted already. Holy poo poo that sounds awesome, but I still want it to leave EA before diving in.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've said it before, but I didn't even consider buying DOOM until about 3 days prior to release, when that Nvidia video went viral. And I'm a Doom goon who plays Doom 2 WADs regularly and wears a disgusting Doom t-shirt. Personally, I didn't have any vitriol for the pre-release product, but the way Bethesda was selling it was completely unappealing to me.

It makes sense that some previews of the game would be "played" at a slower speed to demonstrate the graphics and mechanics without overwhelming viewers in a blur of nauseating camera movement, but the fact that not a single official Bethesda marketing video (as far as I can tell) showed the game at "true" speed is kind of absurd.

Never stops to amaze me how you can be in the game business and still gently caress up like this. Bethesda for sure, but other companies as well. Makes me wonder if the game business is a special case and is so much worse than other businesses are, of actually having a clue on what to do right. Or maybe that producing and selling games is such a hard business to succeed in that you are bound to fail so much? Even if you're supposed to be a professional company at it.

Just seems to me that you have a lot of clear cut gently caress-ups that really shouldn't be if you're a game company knowing what you are producing and selling. It seems so many people in executive positions simply don't.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Mordja posted:

They went and did the same thing with Prey. Instead of emphasizing that, hey, we've made a spiritual successor to System Shock 2, most of the trailers emphasized the alien blasting action.

I know! Frustrating beyond belief. And it just keeps on happening.

DaveKap posted:

From what I understand as a person who is sorta on the periphery of the industry (it's a long story) the biggest problem is that marketing and PR (at large companies) are typically business departments that merely pretend to understand what it is video game hobbyists actually want but probably actually understand what mainstream video game buyers want. They rely on focus groups, owned IP, and science to pump out media that is supposed to guarantee sales to the broadest market possible which, oddly, doesn't include you or me. It's entirely possible that they purposely showed off an underwhelming Doom because they knew reviewers were going to be caught off guard which would boost their scores due to (a thing I've talked about somewhere else before) expectation-based reviewing.

In other words, what you and I consider bad marketing may have actually been better than what you and I consider good marketing; we just wouldn't know because we 1: Aren't the mainstream and 2: Aren't sociology majors.

I'm not saying you are wrong, because what you write seems to kind of make sense. But (and in before someone says "sweet summer child" I really thought whether you just majored in business/marketing or did your MBA at Wherever College you still - at an absolute minimum - have to educate yourself about the business you seek out, get hired for, or just end up working in. No matter if that business is cars, video games or washing powder. It should be obvious to anyone or am I missing something? Knowing your market and customers, not to mention your product should be the first on everyone's agenda working in the business.

Say they (and you) are right about that Doom strategy; they have still done so many fuckups before, I can't be alone in thinking that. Video games seems like the only business you can get away marketing for and (assumingly) not knowing what the gently caress you are doing.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 7, 2017

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Ultimately I think Prey's branding, which I agree was what most led to its weak sales (as much credit as I give marketing, they aren't the sole saviors or failures when it comes to game sales,) happened because someone outside of marketing made the decision to co-opt a former IP in order to make it seem like the game was a sequel. You know, that one attribute that apparently makes a game sell more than usual. :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if marketing saw what happened and disagreed that it was a good idea, as their foresight over such things were being guessed at by an executive trying to look smart. Maybe that executive is the Founder/President of Arkane Studios who had to resign after Prey sales were so bad. I don't really know but I wouldn't be surprised.

Wouldn't we hear about this somewhere, though? Or maybe it's not big enough news, not sure. I haven't heard any news of anyone having to leave because of Prey yet.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Thank you. And good if that's the reason why he left.

• Locked thread