Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I see there are lots of opinions but can we please come together to cut taxes for the wealthy with some class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
whiskey the juvenile posted this in the old thread:

quote:

Ohio was a) open, b) held once Bernie had established that he was a plausible candidate and the race had gotten competitive (he'd just had the surprise upset in Michigan), yet youth turnout declined relative to 2008

could that have had anything to do with this 2015 state law?

Out-of-state college students, who often vote Democratic, would have to obtain an Ohio driver's license or license plate if they want to vote in Ohio, under a bill that passed the Legislature [...]

Democrats have called on Kasich to line-item veto the requirement, which was added to a bill that pays for repairs to roads and bridges. The provision states that new residents who register to vote in Ohio must obtain an Ohio driver's license and register their vehicles here within 30 days. Violators of the provision, who choose to keep a driver's license or license plate from another state, could face a minor misdemeanor.

I'm guessing that kasich did not line-item veto that requirement.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Fair warning: I just gave $10 to Randy Bryce, so he'll probably come out against abortion or something soon.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Willa Rogers posted:

Out-of-state college students, who often vote Democratic, would have to obtain an Ohio driver's license or license plate if they want to vote in Ohio, under a bill that passed the Legislature [...]

Democrats have called on Kasich to line-item veto the requirement, which was added to a bill that pays for repairs to roads and bridges. The provision states that new residents who register to vote in Ohio must obtain an Ohio driver's license and register their vehicles here within 30 days. Violators of the provision, who choose to keep a driver's license or license plate from another state, could face a minor misdemeanor.

voter supression is only something dems blame for losing. they don't actually want to fight it

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the fact that you have to get a state driver's license immediately after moving to a new state is kinda dumb and extremely stupid in general

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Fair warning: I just gave $10 to Randy Bryce, so he'll probably come out against abortion or something soon.

hes gonna turn out to be one of those Ron Paul 5 Minute Rule types of guys where suddenly at 4:59 a light goes off in his head and he starts talking about how no gat drat pointy head doctor is givin his daughters no gat drat slut vaccines

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NNick posted:

I see there are lots of opinions but can we please come together to cut taxes for the wealthy with some class.

You're going to love my bipartisan* proposal to cut taxes on the wealthy by reducing their total assets to the point where they enter a lower tax bracket.

___
*In that it will be enforced by two partisans named Big Steve and Slightly Less Big Steve

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Condiv posted:

voter supression is only something dems blame for losing. they don't actually want to fight it

dems have blamed

voter suppression
the electoral college

on like 3/5 previous elections that they've lost

they've proposed nothing to fix these things lol

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

im enjoying this time we have together w/randy before we discover his terrible secrets

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

heres the dude running against Randy "Ironstache" Bryce

ahahahaha the rs are going to have a constitutional convention at this pace, dems you loving suck

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

IRONSTACHE! *click*

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

ahahahaha the rs are going to have a constitutional convention at this pace, dems you loving suck
starting with bringing back chattel slavery instead of just having prison slavery

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I wonder if a Republican constitutional convention would be enough to split the union.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

anime was right posted:

dems have blamed

voter suppression
the electoral college

Wasn't Obama supposed to dedicate his post-presidency to combatting thi— oh wait he got paid millions for a book deal and speeches to the banks he refused to regulate instead.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dems: republicans like to vote for authoritarians, so maybe for next year to get republicans to vote for us we'll run a recently-deposed ukranian dictator against paul ryan

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Meet David he is a loving piece of poo poo dumb nerd Hillary bot.

DRUMPF!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I wonder if a Republican constitutional convention would be enough to split the union.

based on how well theyre managing the government right now i can only assume an attempt to call a convention would be not so much a train wreck as a train flying off a broken bridge and hitting a passenger zeppelin and then they both plummet into the gorge below and land on a really perplexed cow

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION is like the left's FEMA DEATH CAMPS

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Vox Nihili posted:

heres the dude running against Randy "Ironstache" Bryce

Are... are they loving ADVERTISING the fact that he's a carpetbagger?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

based on how well theyre managing the government right now i can only assume an attempt to call a convention would be not so much a train wreck as a train flying off a broken bridge and hitting a passenger zeppelin and then they both plummet into the gorge below and land on a really perplexed cow
gonna be great seeing inbred slaveowner dynasties squabbling each other over whose confederacy is better imho

shame about the millions of poors consigned to death from abandonment

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

it'll be cool when we're vietnam for china and russia except we have nukes and also we have enormous influence over the world economy

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Except far more probable and realistic, yes

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like bear in mind the convention has to write its own rules for things like delegations and good luck getting 2/3rds of the states to agree on anything right now

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Vox Nihili posted:

no one cares about primaries, especially not young people and independents. turns out those folks are still a key part of an effective dem coalition in the general election, though! clinton tried to replace them with moderate, wealthy republicans and got loving humiliated

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
I think just the act itself, whether or not it is competent, would be enough to drive many people over the edge.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

anime was right posted:

dems have blamed

voter suppression
the electoral college

they're trying to fight voter suppression, but they also essentially abandoned state-level politics under Obama, so they no longer hold enough power to do anything besides whine ineffectually when a Republican governor signs a bill that was passed by both houses of the Republican-dominated state legislature

hmm, that sounds kind of familiar

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
another whiskey-the-juvie gem from old thread:

quote:

one would think that the fact that Obamacare repeal is really just a $800b tax cut for the wealthy would perhaps hint that Obamacare itself perhaps was a program to redistribute money from the wealthy to the poor?

if by "redistribute money" you mean shoveling $500 billion to private insurers, and if by "poor" you mean "private insurers," and and if by "wealthy" you mean "people making $17,000/year or slightly higher" then yes, one would think that.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

IRONSTACHE! *click*

El Bigote de Hierro

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

that would likely be the reason they called one

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

like bear in mind the convention has to write its own rules for things like delegations and good luck getting 2/3rds of the states to agree on anything right now

i think we're more likely to see the federal government shuttered entirely (not v likely) than a constitutional convention at this point

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

that addresses the 18-21 portion, maybe (not like Ohioans don't go in-state), but what about 22-28?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Venom Snake posted:

For this incarnation of the Suck Throne our official ideology is Houxtraism.
You can't just make up words.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ThndrShk2k posted:

You can't just make up words.

my ideology is Laughable Xhosaism

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Turns out Ruffalo is also retweeting Bryce stuff too.

Which is an okay take to take.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
My ideology is I can only understand ideology if explained in videogame terms.

I'm very confused all the time someone please help.

How many continues do the democrats have left and how big is the Republicans' gold/xp lead ????

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
These past two years have really shown how lovely Obama, Pelosi, and Hillary are. I can't get over how much of a soar loser Hillary is.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

New York and California demand that states get delegations based strictly on population, where Wyoming gets one delegate and California gets 78, and everything gets passed by a convention-wide majority vote

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Shear Modulus posted:

the link doesnt work lol

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

B-but he's the moderate reasonable Republican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'd say it's a little more plausible since they only need one more state legislature and it's being openly talked about in most of them.

• Locked thread