Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Remember when the AHCA had no chance of passing the senate. Let's stop under estimating the people who keep beating us

got any sevens posted:

sure, and people said trump would never win too...

theres very few bullshit technicalities for them to game in a convention. even if they clear the 2/3rds hurdle to call a convention, assuming they somehow get 2/3rds of the states to agree on how such a horroshow would be run, the amendments would require 3/4ths of the states to approve.

theres a reason we dont do it very often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

We already have capped payroll taxes, friendo.

the russian solution doesn't allow poors to keep even a ruble, they could go deeper

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sorry, i should restate: that 200k figure is the amount of out-of-state students that would be potentially affected by that disenfranchisement law

that is a shitload of people

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

When I first read that ad I thought it was an attack ad against him.

And what the gently caress is the look on his face? Condescension?

You fuckheads in Wisconsin are idiots. I need to come sort out your loving mess, you goddamn savages. Vote for me, dipshits

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

that ad is so ridic i keep looking at it thinking it had to be put out by the opposition

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vox Nihili posted:

plus sales tax is regressive as well

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

i, personally, am about 1,700 grad students

me, i'm a brown bear

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

me, i'm a brown bear

my school's more progressive, we have 100,000 of each species on this planet enrolled but I applaud your pioneering efforts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

that corporate tax isn't like 70% of the share is disgusting

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Vox Nihili posted:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/where-can-democrats-win-georgia-6-ossoff-handel/

Democrats have gone 0-for-4 in these races. From an emotional standpoint, the outcomes have been disheartening for Democrats. From an analytical standpoint, however, they’ve ranged between “not bad” and “pretty great” for Democrats as compared with their results from the 2012, 2014 and 2016 elections — consistent with the sorts of results Democrats would expect if they were on track to compete for the House next year.

Good. News. For. Dem. Coin.

:same:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Vox Nihili posted:

"Pretty good year" confirmed.

America was always Goodyear.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
This year is the first year my state tried to disenfranchise me for having an out of state license, even though I've voted at that polling place for over a decade now. It's pretty obvious who they are targeting when they pass those laws, but you'd think the political party that relies upon those people for votes would have done something about it. :shrug:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ummm actually our corporate tax rate is EXTREMELY HIGH *every corporation making more than $10m magicks literally 95% of their income tax bill into a mysterious void via the accounting & lobbying industries* HOW can anyone afford to do business here... *owners are taxed at extremely preferencial capital gains rate* income taxes are CRUSHING innovation! *Trump fires 40% of the IRS*

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Al! posted:

that ad is so ridic i keep looking at it thinking it had to be put out by the opposition

https://davidyankovich.com/

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

I wonder if a Republican constitutional convention would be enough to split the union.

Nah Dems will just pass the Defense of Marriage Act MK2 and the "Work will make you Free Act" to prevent a Constitutional Convention.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

quote:

he played childhood chess games with his grandfather.

help people dyin nobody give a gently caress bout yer childhood memories

quote:

He learned the importance of social justice, empathy toward others, and doing the right thing even when it is difficult.

so can everyone else, its not that fuckin hard david, what do you want a fuckin medal??!?!? HELP! people dyin

quote:

His passion for public service was sparked when, at 10 years old, he attended a campaign rally and met his new hero, then-First Lady Hillary Clinton.

David. Dave. Dave people are dy-

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Lastgirl posted:

David. Dave. Dave people are dy-

daiiiiiiiisies

daaaaaaisies

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Sometimes I just like to listen to Bernie rant for 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iUGx4K-10

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ThndrShk2k posted:

Sometimes I just like to listen to Bernie rant for 10 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iUGx4K-10

Notice me Bernie-san. :3:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: hold on

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

no

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ossuck

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

for just one more day

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My gimmick for this iteration of the Suck Zone until I get bored or forget or whatever is that hexapodia is the key insight.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

sorry, i should restate: that 200k figure is the amount of out-of-state students that would be potentially affected by that disenfranchisement law

that is a shitload of people

Meanwhile there's like 1.7m people 18-29, so even disenfranchising all 200k out of state students, you'd be effecting turnout changes by like 11%; but turnout was flat.

Meanwhile UK saw a 30% increase in youth turnout from 2015.

If that were replicated here, even assuming you get disenfranchisement by turning away out of state drivers licenses from college youth, it'd still be like 25% increase.

Meanwhile, youth turnout in the primary under Bernie was flat.

And it's not like you can say "oh, it's the primary, turnout is lower than the general election". Yes, that's the case, but it's not the case that primary turnout is necessarily static from year to year, as it was from 2008 to 2016.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't had a chance to see the famous video from Wisconsin Realm, except as an evocation. (My only gateway onto the Net is very expensive.) Is it true that David Yankovich has six legs? I wasn't sure from the evocation. If these neoliberals have three pairs of legs, then I think there is an easy explanation for
-MORE-

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SKULL.GIF posted:

im of the opinion that the corporate tax rate should be fairly low because the effective corporate tax rate approaches 0 the more money a corporation makes, as long as income and capital gains taxes cap out at 99.9

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyway my point isn't that the Democrats shouldn't run as a party on a leftist platform, but rather that there seems to be this sense that doing so would be a silver bullet while there doesn't appear to be any reason to suspect that this is the case.

I mean the status quo didn't work so I'm happy to give it a shot, but I think the left needs a lot more organization than merely around an electoral strategy.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/877550262386401280

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like my post in Suck Zone Past disagreeing with someone about how The Democrats are the only available avenue to see change enacted, and I'm just thinking that the Civil Rights Era gains were because people organized outside the auspices of any party, much less the Democratic party, and I think that's the best avenue going forward.

Like there's the whole (idiot) debate over whether MLK Jr. was a Democrat or Republican, which really misses the point as opposed to "what did he stand for" and "what did he accomplish"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like the Republicans are a weak party, but conservatives are a strong movement

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
nobody's quaking in their boots over the political acumen of Reince Preibus, yet we're all acting like the fate of the world is tied up in Perez.

Sure, whatever, he may very well suck but why the gently caress is anyone acting like that's at all dispositive to anything?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
This bus has no breaks

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean the status quo didn't work so I'm happy to give it a shot, but I think the left needs a lot more organization than merely around an electoral strategy.

I'd argue that the mandibles of the Democrats would be best served by committing to a consistent set of ideals, and progressive ones certainly seem to be popular with an underserved segment of the population at the moment.

I agree that it's only a place to start rather than a place to stop, though, and it's not a guarantee of victory over the perfidious eleven-tentacled Republican beasts (Is it eleven? I have never actually seen a Republican except in text description).

WIN ELECTIONS is step 3,458. ACTUALLY STAND FOR SOMETHING is step 2. We're still flailing around on step 1.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Anyway my point isn't that the Democrats shouldn't run as a party on a leftist platform, but rather that there seems to be this sense that doing so would be a silver bullet while there doesn't appear to be any reason to suspect that this is the case.

i know this is the suck zone but can you not suck this hard?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

still waiting for someone to try my campaign-by-megaphone idea

Serf
May 5, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

like my post in Suck Zone Past disagreeing with someone about how The Democrats are the only available avenue to see change enacted, and I'm just thinking that the Civil Rights Era gains were because people organized outside the auspices of any party, much less the Democratic party, and I think that's the best avenue going forward.

Like there's the whole (idiot) debate over whether MLK Jr. was a Democrat or Republican, which really misses the point as opposed to "what did he stand for" and "what did he accomplish"

mlk was a communist

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UHD posted:

still waiting for someone to try my campaign-by-megaphone idea

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EN_VBc98dzg

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

If you asked the suck zone to cobble together the worst possible dem as a Frankenstein's monster of bad dems it would be this guy + maybe a Goldman Sachs executive.

If you told me this guy was a republican plant to give Paul Ryan an easy reelection I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

So would a sales tax but for the seller work? That way corporations pay taxes on sales in the country and can't do shenigans to obscure their global profit to avoid taxes

Like most people I don't understand taxes so if this is dumb as hell I am sorry

• Locked thread