Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Al! posted:

him and louise mensch should have hate babies

trey gowdy exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Squizzle posted:

how about suck my dick gop

how about it

:love:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i got a craving for squizposting and i dont care who knows it!!!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it's really heartening to finally see so many people calling democrats out for being loving garbage trash intransigents on SP :unsmith:

with what happened in CO and now CA its pretty clear the party is fighting like hell to stop SP from being adopted anywhere to preserve megadonor funding for the party, and the more people that recognize that, the better

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
now, on whether or not the democrats can actually stop coming up with clever hashtags and larping protests to develop a coherent SP policy that would keep them in power for a generation, i'm more skeptical, because if there's one things democrats love, it's losing, especially if it still keeps them rich

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I wager that there is some entrenched resistance (ie not just big donor money or whatever) from Dems who viewed ACA as their signature big career legislative accomplishment being told it kind of sucks. I don't know if that goes away if they get more public feedback/yelling about it or if you have to elect people divorced from the original process.

this is probably true, and if so those Dems need to be gone. the ACA is a giant transfer of wealth to insurance companies and still far too little to address care affordability. i think you have to elect folks divorced from the original process, the entrenched dems are clearly about keeping those pharmabux rolling into the coffers

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

this is a rich series of thunks considering the source lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's going to be fun when it comes time for them to make that call on what matters to them more: lower taxes for themselves w/ the same lovely, repressive economy or social justice

it's the former

WJ has been struggling with this for a while with no clear answer yet

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why doesn't Europe have this opioid problem?

american exceptionalism :911:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
democrats find any excuse to not pass good policy, while republicans find any excuse to defend bad policy they pass

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://theintercept.com/2017/07/01/dick-gephardt-single-payer-health-insurance-lobbyists/

another one for the bad dems pile

quote:

The mere prospect of single payer, however, has elicited swift derision from some corners of the party, with Dick Gephardt, the former Democratic House minority leader, laughing off the idea at a health insurance conference earlier this month.

“Not in my lifetime,” scoffed Gephardt, when asked if the United States will ever adopt such a system.

Gephardt, who serves as a Democratic “superdelegate” responsible for choosing the party’s presidential nominee, was asked about the possibility of single payer at the Centene Corporation annual investor day conference at The Pierre, a ritzy five-star hotel in New York City.

“There is no way you could pass single payer in any intermediate future,” Gephardt declared. America, he added, has the “greatest health care system in the world, bar none.” And while single payer would provide universal coverage, there would be less quality and innovation without the “involvement of the private sector.”

Gephardt, notably, became a corporate lobbyist after serving as a populist Democratic lawmaker from Missouri. His clients have included Peabody Coal and Goldman Sachs, among others. He also serves on the board of Centene, receiving annual compensation of around $315,965 in cash and stock awards.

Democrats are so loving terrible lol, they dont give a gently caress about single payer

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Jul 2, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

Democratic voters are stalwart progressives!

*Progressive candidates lose VA and NJ governor primaries, fail in Georgia, can't pass single payer in Calofirnia

One for the NuclearTake archives right here

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

that noise? thats me choking on my own skeleton as i vomit it up

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yeah, i mean, its not an entirely inaccurate cartoon

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the rock should be labeled "CENTRISM" tho

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
came to post tbe back to the center article, saw it was the thread title, cant read beyond 4th graph bc drowning in bullshit

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
democrats:worthless garbage, now more than ever

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what page was thr back to the center article posted on

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

with all due respect, the article is about winning, not about what is right. And I think the current state of affairs demonstrates pretty clearly that, whether we like it or not, Democrats will have to move to the center in order to win. And winning now is essential. Just as you have been arguing with "move-to-the-center" ranters forever, so have the rest of us been dealing with "move-to-the-left" ranters for just as long, having now witnessed them (through Sanders and Nader) install two Republicans in the White House. Either the left wing of the Democratic Party will wake up to reality, or the Party will become even more irrelevant. Half of zero is zero.

please source your quotes

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Yinlock posted:

(as an aside that fact that republicans thought "emails" was more damaging than "literal slave-owner" is unsurprising but hilarious)

calling hillary a slave owner would have played too well in the south, if they called her that she probably would've flipped Price's district

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/zaidjilani/status/884979113546715136

:thunk:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

im glad of it, us being killed by the things we culled and shaped from the environment is fitting

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

my litmus test is MCA or SP as a base of support, if a dem can't commit to that they don't get support anymore

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Bernie/Warren is the only ticket that makes sense for the dems for 2020 so its definite that neither of them will be on it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
unless bernie shows any signs of actual senility or dementia, he'll still be more cogent and a more effective leader than would be either trump or reagan in 2 terms, and will have a competent younger vp ready to succeed him, probably warren, but maybe someone else

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
any polling around a generic DSA vs. generic dem?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
fair enough

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oh i thought it was, welp

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
uhhhh guys the atlantic says the dems message is a "populist economic agenda," idk what you're upset about??

quote:

Six months after Donald Trump’s inauguration, Democrats in Congress are ready to adopt a populist economic agenda that blends ideas long entrenched in the liberal mainstream, like infrastructure investment, with promises that have not been a focus of the Democratic Party in recent years such as a pledge to rein in the power of corporate monopolies.
lmao

quote:

The economic platform is aimed at bridging ideological and demographic divides in the party, and Democrats hope it will have widespread appeal, in rural and urban areas, and with centrist, moderate, and progressive voters alike.

which of these is listed last, hmmm :thunk:

quote:

The agenda nevertheless showcases the influence of the Democratic Party’s populist-progressive wing. It diagnoses the problems facing America in terms that sound far more like Bernie Sanders than Hillary Clinton, arguing that prosperity and influence have become too concentrated in the hands of a wealthy few to the detriment of working-class Americans. One policy plank promises that Democrats will start “cracking down on corporate monopolies”—an ambition that prior to the 2016 presidential election would be far more likely to be championed by a progressive firebrand like Senator Elizabeth Warren, who has long warned of the dangers of market concentration, than most rank-and-file Democrats in Congress.

here i am, writing for the atlantic, unironically saying this platform sounds more like bernie lmfao

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Jul 24, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

Promises to confront monopoly power are only one part of the wide-ranging platform the new Democratic agenda sets out. At the core of the agenda is a pledge that the party will create jobs, raise wages and income, while lowering the cost of living, for American workers and families.

“A Better Deal” is the product of months of meetings and deliberation between party leaders, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer, other House and Senate Democrats, and policy experts representing the full spectrum of liberal ideology.

not a single word about healthcare or a living wage, anywhere

Willa Was Always Right

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
only the new most craven, milquetoast centrist could write a platform filled with so much dross and pablum while simultaneously aping the most transformative legislation in american history with the words "a better deal"

where's CC been lately? :thunk:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"The programs of a new deal fundamentally reshaped American society and ensured for generations that we'd care for elderly and sick, provide for the impoverished and were so popular it got a president elected three four consecutive times."

democrats, 2017: what if we talked about being tougher on mergers

ex post facho has issued a correction as of 18:29 on Jul 24, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

dawg he's rolling the plan out over several days

dems dont want a single payer or MCA alternative, the national party has made this pretty clear, much less a living wage

they've enshrined the parasitic relationship between insurers and health care into law for power, and they know if they start advocating for a more equitable system that will destroy those insurers they'll lose those big checks forever

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
pelosi's lovely platform for all to see

http://www.democraticleader.gov/abetterdeal/

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
andrew cuomo is poop from a butt, how is he so prominent in NY politics

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Serf posted:

a lot of the young people i've talked to said they lost interest in voting when sanders dropped out of the race. most of them either can't afford to go to college, don't want to, or are gonna have to go into a lot of debt to do so. they don't want to live in a small town forever, and the ticket to getting out is education. they felt like clinton didn't have anything to offer them and they weren't gonna vote for trump either. a lot of them just plain skipped voting in their first election

https://twitter.com/tresdessert/status/839531333525340160?lang=en

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i believe that attitude would fall under the "sorry, they're not real democrats" space on the cycle

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i'm really glad i dont live in a megalopolis. seems like a great way to feel like you can never escape the realization that the vast majority of people around you are worthless garbage.

me? *cracks open a new pack of bics* i'll take my legal weed and 30 minute drive to millions of acres of wilderness and bolt-holes in which i will store provisions for the coming battles against the redhats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Podesta: Clinton absolutely supports the TPP, she's always valued the diplomatic power of trade and considers the deal to be a milestone achievement.

Obama: Clinton absolutely opposes the TPP, her primary concern is the well being of the American people and she wouldn't do anything to detrimentally affect the American people.

Clinton: *dabs*

actually 'bama was pushin Hillabuela hard to support the TPP so he could have one more footnote about fuckin' the american worker in his presidential history

• Locked thread