Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thoguh posted:

I have a couple hardcore neo-liberal facebook friends from high school. One of them posted this this morning

The GOP is tearing down any semblance of government being anything other than a power/cash grab and their concern is that people need to just be more reasoned and pragmatic.

Guillotines, people, not pragmatism.

The Emmett Rensin LARB essay someone posted was a good takedown of this modern liberal technocrat castng of politics as nonpolitical and differences in policy only possibly coming from conservatives being dumb, not because their ideology is to kill the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's the medicaid recipients' own drat fault for not getting excited about consolidating federal data centers

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Barbe Rouge posted:

according to this article the voting system was different

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/17/labour-leadership-battle-jeremy-corbyn-party-organisation

Labour faces this chaos due to a radical rule change in 2014. It created a strict “one-person one-vote” electorate, where MPs had no more sway in the final outcome than ordinary members. Under the previous electoral college system, MPs and members each had one-third of votes and trade unions the remainder.

hmmm... getting rid of superdelegates...can produce candidates that are good? :thunk:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Condiv posted:

putincept? is the intercept actually materially connected to russia or are bad dems calling anyone who dares to question their beliefs russians?

Greenwald is not too great a guy who's often seemed like he hasn't been looking out for his sources. He could have advised Snowden to get to Latin America early instead of stupidly thinking Hong Kong was a safe bastion of non-extradition, and the whole Winner thing was a fiasco. Sometimes he acts like he's concerned about his own career and publicity first and foremost.

I think people are saying he's a Putin plant because he was loudly pumping the brakes on "Russia hacked the election" saying he wanted evidence first. I don't know what he's been saying lately but I wouldn't be surprised if he's smugly lawyerly saying "yeah Trump was in deep with Russian crooks and also the Russians apparently bought the entire GOP but they didn't literally doctor vote totals."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i also dislike greenwald because the rumor for why taibbi left and never launched his own thing is because he thought greenwald and omidyar were exerting too much control

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

so i guess american centrists have settled on copying macron as their plan when macron was just copying obama all along

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ironstache clumsily hitting on a crazy english celebrity online is authentic as gently caress

just dont get to dick picks dude

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it could also just be the long game to make hillarystans think he's good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i want an ironstache-alike to run in every district from now until they take over all of congress

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why did you want to run for office

tired: to serve my country
wired: to be able to meet english pundit ladies

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Did people make a bunch of "Al Gore won"
license plates when he also won the popular vote and had the electoral vote actually stolen from him by the brother of his opponent and the supreme court

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

covfefe was officially unfunny when hillary clinton's account tweeted a covfefe joke that wasn't funny and had no actual joke in it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Condiv posted:

what was it? "people who live in coffee houses shouldn't throw covfefe"?

https://mobile.twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/870090101765931008

people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw glass (???)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

actually the best troll of 2016 was a man named donald j trump

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lol we're getting the russian "election" model in a year

yeah our opposition party is just subordinating itself completely seemingly of its own free will. it's like the dems are reading from a script. cultural madness is a hell of a drug

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Keith would be my 100% preferred choice but does he really have a national profile?

The Dems I think are possibly going to run are Cuomo, Warren, Booker, Gillibrand, Franken, and Harris in roughly descending order of likelihood.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I like Ellison a lot but I really do not think he has the chops to succeed in the general, and the Muslim thing will be a big sticking point

why would it? america already elected a black muslim twice.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think Zuckerberg should run on a platform of "if I win I will personally give every American family ten million dollars."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah the bernie fans in the party are gonna be anti semites and racistly accusing zuckerberg of being part of a shadowy cabal of billionaires that control the global economy and all flow of information

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zuckerberg could easily make a million-dollar donation to every dem superdelegate's leadership PAC and start out with a huge lead of "delegates" that earns him hours and hours of positive press coverage before any votes are cast

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

What I read is that he's saying what he's doing is shelving it till next year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

fyi

$100 in 1944 equals $1,387.54 in 2017.

unless that was already taken into account?

i assume that's what "adjusted for inflation" means

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Montasque posted:

He's already doing that thing where you eat horrible food in Iowa.

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/878778397794631680

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

@dril is a much better account than @gop

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

got any sevens posted:

cant wait to see hillbot twitter takes of this

unions are racist and sexist

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao his go to booze is some ultra-premium vodka that's $40 a bottle

Vox Nihili posted:

trendy dipshit brand thats entirely indistinguishable from a $20 handle lmao

wait til the boys in the home bar & drinking thread hear about this

who are we talking about here

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that sir James dipshit whose spending $40 per bottle when he could get a handle of the infinitely superior Tito's for :10bux: less

i don't normally like vodka but tito's is pretty good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

uh i just realized, maybe this is why PP, despite having a 100% record for both bernie and hillary, endorsed hillary so brazenly :stare:

i really hope thats not true, bc everyone deserves free access to birth control and contraceptives no matter what

the people that make salaries in PP would be endangered by single payer.

the reason why planned parenthood endorsed hillary is that going against hillary would have gotten you put on the enemies spreadsheet

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ossoff is pro-choice?

he was, but in a genius move to appeal to romney voters buried it on his website and never talked about it or any other issue

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

here we...here we...here we loving go!

https://twitter.com/SenKamalaHarris/status/878658287809564672

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

this whole "strategy" is so bizarre

if legislators give me stuff that's good for me, I will vote for them again. if they continue to do good stuff then they have a loyal voter in me for a long-rear end time, and I imagine I am hardly unique in this respect

I am less likely to vote for legislators who don't give me stuff that's good for me // legislators who only PROMISE that good stuff is coming. obama PROMISED change and improvement and that got us jack poo poo.

the strategy makes sense if you consider a politician's job as a balancing act between secondarily getting voters to vote for them and primarily getting rich people happy to give them lobbying jobs and speaking gigs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fact that ossoff got fewer votes than a guy that did not actually exist will never not be hilarious and i dont care that it was an off year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

and hes gonna be the next president lol

no he's gonna lose to trump bigly

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"Facebook isn't censoring all the positive news anot Warren, stop being paranoid"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zuckerberg is going to run exactly in the neoliberal consensus because it's all he's ever known

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hahahahaha

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zegermans posted:

Seriously tho if you're gonna have a campaign official "black friend" Morgan Freeman is a pretty lovely one.

morgan freeman is one of the good ones because he endorsed hillary early

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im much more interested in how he seems to be suggesting that the dnc and hillary subverted bernie's campaign on orders from putin

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

zegermans posted:

HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO
HELLO HELLO HELLO HELLO