Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

the entire history of the Reconstruction amendments has been a ceaseless struggle between Congress and the courts, one that's usually been pretty one-sided due to political division in Congress

those amendments explicitly grant Congress the simple and broad power to pass laws to enforce them as they see fit, likely for the explicit purpose of preventing the Court from using "states rights" as an excuse to strike down civil rights laws. the Supreme Court absolutely never gave the slightest gently caress about that, and spent the next 150 years trying to narrow and erode that authority whenever possible. and with the Southerners allowed back in Congress, there was never sufficient political will to challenge the Court over it

everything is a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Phi230 posted:

He prolly means 1812, Civil War and WW2

Yeah, when the brits attacked us, when the south attacked us cause they wanted to keep slaves, and when the japanese attacked us

Every other time we've started it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, even history textbooks say "yeah this war's causes were made up, this is an example of Yellow Journalism where the press is used to fabricate events to manufacture consent"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm p sure somethingawful is the only place where people are "yes, give us more nuclear power".

related: if lowtax wants some easy cash i'm sure there's some power companies willing to rent posters as lobbyists

It's common among power nerds. That we're not researching thorium salt reactors with everything we have is ridiculous

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

For those who didn't click, Politifact rates Bryce's claim that "he's not a politician" as mostly false because he's ran for office before.

This is the dumbest loving thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I wrote in someone but I live in NY

• Locked thread