Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NNick posted:

I see there are lots of opinions but can we please come together to cut taxes for the wealthy with some class.

You're going to love my bipartisan* proposal to cut taxes on the wealthy by reducing their total assets to the point where they enter a lower tax bracket.

___
*In that it will be enforced by two partisans named Big Steve and Slightly Less Big Steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My gimmick for this iteration of the Suck Zone until I get bored or forget or whatever is that hexapodia is the key insight.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't had a chance to see the famous video from Wisconsin Realm, except as an evocation. (My only gateway onto the Net is very expensive.) Is it true that David Yankovich has six legs? I wasn't sure from the evocation. If these neoliberals have three pairs of legs, then I think there is an easy explanation for
-MORE-

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean the status quo didn't work so I'm happy to give it a shot, but I think the left needs a lot more organization than merely around an electoral strategy.

I'd argue that the mandibles of the Democrats would be best served by committing to a consistent set of ideals, and progressive ones certainly seem to be popular with an underserved segment of the population at the moment.

I agree that it's only a place to start rather than a place to stop, though, and it's not a guarantee of victory over the perfidious eleven-tentacled Republican beasts (Is it eleven? I have never actually seen a Republican except in text description).

WIN ELECTIONS is step 3,458. ACTUALLY STAND FOR SOMETHING is step 2. We're still flailing around on step 1.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Congratulations to the six-legged Democrats for very nearly winning every election since 2016.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So David Yankovich is a robot, isn't he?

(I'm bored of the hexapodia thing. New gimmick: robots)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PRESENTING: A transcript of the fateful first meeting between Randy Bryce and David Yankovich

BRYCE: Now look. I don't know who ou are or what you are, but we've got twenty three million people about to lose their health care. If we don't act now we won't get them back alive.

(The Cybercandidate opens its mouth but does not move any lips as it speaks in a strange sing-song tone that puts emphasis in all the wrong places.)
YANKOVICH: They will not be covered.

BRYCE: Why not?

YANKOVICH: It is unimportant now.

BRYCE: But we must stop the AHCA! When-

YANKOVICH: There is really no point. They could never be insured now.

BRYCE: But don't you care?

YANKOVICH: Care? No, why should I care?

BRYCE: Because they're people and they're going to die!

YANKOVICH: I do not understand you. There are people dying all over your world yet do not care about them.

BRYCE: Yes, but we could avoid their deaths!

YANKOVICH: You will be wondering what has happened. Your astronomers must have just discovered a new congressional district. Is that not so?

BRYCE: Yes, that's right

YANKOVICH: That is where we come from. It is called Mondas.

BRYCE: Mondas? But isn't that one of the ancient names of Wisconsin District 1?

YANKOVICH: Yes. Aeons ago the congressional districts were twins, then we drifted away from you on a journey to the edge of space. Now we have returned.

BRYCE: But who or what are you?

YANKOVICH: We are called Cybercandidates.

BRYCE: Cybercandidates?

YANKOVICH: Yes, Cybercandidates. We were exactly like you once, but our polling scientists realized that our race was getting weak.

BRYCE: Weak? How?

YANKOVICH: Our fundraising was getting lower, so our scientists and doctors devised spare parts for our bodies until we could be almost completely replaced.

BRYCE: But that means you're not like us. You're robots!

YANKOVICH: Our brains are just like yours, except that certain weaknesses have been removed.

BRYCE: Weaknesses? What weaknesses?

YANKOVICH: You call them "principles," do you not?

BRYCE: But that's terrible! You, you mean you wouldn't care about someone in pain?

YANKOVICH: There would be no need. We do not feel pain.

BRYCE: But we do!
(Suddenly, Bryce lunges toa desk and presses a button.)

BRYCE: That'll fix you! Twitter will know there's an emergency here now!

YANKOVICH: That was really most unfortunate. You should not have done that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

unless it's against leftists then pull out all the stops and accuse them of racsexism because they made donors cry

When they go low, we go high. When they go left, gently caress THAT GUY

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I halfway wonder if Yankovich was hired by Paul Ryan to "run against him"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They should send those Steny Hoyer quotes out instead. Pelosi would be forced at gunpoint to remain House Minority Leader.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My cat is either shouting at me because he thinks it's time to be fed or he's announcing his candidacy for the race.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I think it needs to be all capitals HTH

Naah, the golden age of word filters is long gone.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Good Riddance, they stopped being funny when they were filtering the names of prominent american politicians.

I think things got a little excessive there toward the end but Zodiac Killer never stopped being funny.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

those 12% are of course all either Twitter users or D&D posters

"I won't be satisfied until every word on TV is 'Russia'"

Something something RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA something something Brady Bunch remake

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, the correct alternative to "you're leaning too hard and expecting too much of the Russia stuff as a substitute for actual policies and moral stands" is not "RUSSIA DID NOTHING WRONG AND THERE IS PROBABLY NOT EVEN ANY SUCH PLACE".

Just like "stop acting like TRUMP BAD will win elections" doesn't actually mean Trump isn't bad.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, if the worst they can dig up on The Living Avatar Of Bruce Springsteen's Music is that he said nice things to a Twitter "celebrity" that We Don't Like, then I'm cool with that.

Though I'm still voting for my cat, whose position on universal health care and universal neck skritches is PURRRRRRRRRRRRR.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, you've convinced me never to vote for Louise Mensch.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

PURRRR-secute the rich

That's more the domain of my other cat, if by "the rich" you mean "my feet"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

Did people make a bunch of "Al Gore won"
license plates when he also won the popular vote and had the electoral vote actually stolen from him by the brother of his opponent and the supreme court

I don't know, probably?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

We probably do need a better way to convince the sort of mostly-healthy idiot who thinks they don't actually need health insurance at all right now that they would benefit from single-payer than gently caress YOU YOU SELFISH rear end in a top hat.

I think we're closer to single-payer (or similar) being politically possible in the U.S. than we've been in a long long time, but there are still obstacles, and pretending otherwise does no one any good. (This isn't, O furious person already typing gently caress YOU YOU SELFISH rear end in a top hat at me, an argument that we shouldn't pursue it. It's about thinking about ways to actually succeed at getting there.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And yes, a lot of those obstacles are among our supposed Democratic allies, and it's probably time we stopped pretending that wasn't the case, too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

speaking as someone who had a nice little period of insurancelessness for 6 years, this is not true. even though i didn't get anything terrible during that time, if I had any kind of issue I just had to hope it wasn't something more severe cause i sure as gently caress couldn't afford to get it checked. i remember when i first learned i have winter eczema, a patch appeared on my arm and kept growing over weeks, and not knowing what it was i had no idea what to do. worse, it was turning yellow and gross looking., so i was freaked the hell out that I had some sort of skin fungus and that I was literally rotting away while living. my dad finally spotted me $100 so i could see a dermatologist and I learned I needed special lotions in winter to keep my skin healthy, but i was lucky that I had parents that could do that for me.

any young person without health insurance almost certainly goes through the same (unless they're the biggest idiot on earth) thanks to how insanely expensive treatment is without insurance.

Yeah, I went a few years in my late 20s mostly doing temp work and basically having no insurance, and I just kind of hoped I never got hurt or sick.

This one time, I got into an auto accident on the job (I wasn't driving so there was no way for them to decide it was my fault, and since it was during work hours, workers' comp covered everything, thank Christ) and the doctor who checked me out later was all I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE BEEN WITHOUT IT as if (and bear in mind this was in, like, 2006, so nothing even remotely like the ACA on the horizon) as if it were that simple for someone who was maybe working one week out of every four.

(In retrospect, I probably could have gotten some state assistance at the time. It was kind of a dark period of my life though and I wasn't really thinking in those terms.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

i know hillary fans like to pretend that neoliberal isn't an actual word with an actual definition, but singlepayer and neoliberals are fundamentally incompatible

I think the larger point, that single-payer doesn't have to be a position held solely by "radical leftists" (however you want to define that) is a good one, though. It wouldn't be hard, for example, to come up with corporate-friendly arguments in favor of it, or even to pitch it as a means of reining in government spending (on the basis of improved efficiency over the patchwork mess of federal and state systems we've got right now).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So Jeremy Corbyn gave a speech at the Glastonbury Music Festival today and our Democrats need to take some goddamn notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSEmuPMwvMQ

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Face When posted:

Is the Zuck really considering being Nader and getting in this 2020 election? At least Nader had character...and charts.

It certainly looks like he's laying the groundwork for a Presidential campaign, but it's Zuckerberg, he could just as easily be doing some eccentric rich person Visit Real America thing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

Bloomberg threatened to be the Nader for 2016, so why not Zuck? America has an endless appetite for CEO worship.

Bloomberg appears to see himself as insurance against progressives taking power, though, whereas I can't imagine Zuck sees politics as anything other than something else to check off his bucket list

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

twitter liberals are extremely stupid but most people dont actually believe this poo poo

Yeah, this. Twitter, like the internet as a whole, is a megaphone for idiots.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ThndrShk2k posted:

I wouldn't say messiah as he'd analyze our genome.
But we get free specialized healthcare!

If by 'free specialized healthcare' you mean 'turning us into Cybermen', sure.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

lmao holy poo poo

e: o wait i forgot, thought ha goodman was a hillary guy somehow lol, i thought he did a 180 oops

still lol

Naah, he was always the THE FBI WILL DESTROY HILLARY WITH EMAILS AND BERNIE WILL SWOOP IN TO SAVE US ALL guy. (He turned out to be half right)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Karl Barks posted:

just read on twitter that jane and bernie sanders had slaves when bernie was the mayor of arkansas??? any truth to this?

Everything about Bernie being a literal slave-owner is true, with few exceptions.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Is there a contingent of Twitter Dems that just search for any mention of Bernie Sanders so they can trot out how much they hate him because he's got a lake house bought by Russian bank fraud money for costing Clinton the election? Invariably the first response to any news story or pundit is someone making GBS threads on him.

I don't know, how likely is it that there are brokebrained people with a lot of spare time on their hands and access to an internet connection?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Points off for not ending with gently caress THAT AND gently caress YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wanting a single-payer program and wanting to actively murder everyone in the United States except the five richest people who get all of everyone else's money are pretty much the same position.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I'm about as all in for Bryce at this point as it's possible to be without actually moving to Wisconsin, which lol no.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Zuck is obviously twelve years old and thus constitutionally ineligible to run.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't have a Facebook account and I figure by this time next year ZuckerMen will be pointing at me and screeching NOT OF THE BODY like a mixed sci-fi metaphor.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The thing about Zuckerberg is that he's pretty much a cipher. He could do some good or he could be a monster or he could just be an ineffective plastic leader who rubber-stamps some vaguely progressive stuff while keeping the current power dynamic firmly in place, or he could just flail around uselessly, or he could usher in the technological singularity, or he could be a full-on revolutionary and there's no actual way to know ahead of time.

Which is why I don't think he'll do well at all if he does enter politics, particularly since he comes across as a guy who expects/assumes everything will just be easy and fall into his lap. He's the anti-Trump, but really only in the ways that Trump excelled as a campaigner. He doesn't have a clear message (other than 'hey, I exist') at the moment and he doesn't come across like he cares about anyone or anything.

On the other hand, I could make Cybermen jokes forever if he ran.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

zegermans posted:

right yeah those parts are def. antisemtism

my point is don't attribute to nefariousness what can be explained by brokebrainedness

It can be both.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

hes going to lose so hard to paul ryan

I'm still halfway convinced that Yankovich was hired specifically to lose to Paul Ryan.

Bryce has apparently run for office a few times before and not gotten very far, and I can't imagine his chances are great (unseating a high-profile incumbent is a very difficult prospect).

But I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bad dems 2027: now that there is no government to speak of and the Crimson Razors are coming for us at dawn, it may be the right time to form an exploratory committee about single payer

• Locked thread