Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Some good publications that write about US politics from a left wing or liberal policy perspective, and have weighed in on the state of the Democratic Party --

The American Prospect

N+1

Jacobin Magazine

The New Republic (hail Jeet)

The New York Review of Books

The London Review of Books

Edit- I forgot The Baffler, thanks Shear Modulus

Plus Vox.com has put on a few good takes since the election.

I have to pretend to work for a bit longer but when I'm done I can provide article rather than homepage links if there is interest.

Ed Balls.

GalacticAcid has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Shear Modulus posted:

also add the baffler

added to my pos't

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
New thread, same SUCK

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
from davidyankovich.com

quote:

His dad worked in the water distribution industry, and his mother was a property manager. He grew up playing soccer and football, and he played childhood chess games with his grandfather. He learned the importance of social justice, empathy toward others, and doing the right thing even when it is difficult. His passion for public service was sparked when, at 10 years old, he attended a campaign rally and met his new hero, then-First Lady Hillary Clinton.

After graduating from high school, David signed up to serve in the United States Navy. He had dreamed of serving in the military for years, inspired by his grandfather, who served in WWII. After nearly a year of training, he was heartbroken after being honorably discharged because of a childhood foot condition.

David followed in his mother’s footsteps and worked in property management while volunteering for Democratic campaigns in his spare time. Soon after his son was born, David began taking his son and daughter to political rallies for President Obama and Secretary Hillary Clinton.

hahahahah this is so lovely but shouts to him for stealing valor

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"Childhood foot condition" is also exactly the method Trump used to dodge the draft.

lmfao i forgot about that

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

IRONSTACHE

I'm all in for IRONSTACHE

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
joy ann reitard

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: IRONSTACHE :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
twitter made trump president since news outlets don't have any money to send reporters out into the field and journalists just browse twitter all day and take hot about it

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :siren: :frogsiren: :ducksiren: :frogsiren: :siren:

IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE IRONSTACHE

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
hi, im david yankovich

what donald drumpf is doing is inexcusable

it's an insult the country i love so much

i've served this country. my retard foot got me kicked out of the military for this country. i tied electrodes to uighur penises to extract confessions for this country. im proud of this country and im not giving up.

TORMP BAD. who is with me??

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
the democrats are too retarded to make every election a referendum on Paul Ryan, a broadly hated imbecile with unpopular and cruel politics.

instead they fantasize about the GOP house leadership joining #teh #resistants and impeaching trump for RUSSIAAAAAA

OH MY GOD RUSSISSSISISIISISSISIISISIAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pelosi pushed the party too far left and moved too fast on PPACA. That's why Democrats got smoked in 2010 and we lost a ton of sensible moderate lawmakers like Jason Altmire.

We need a no-nonsense Minority leader with a keen eye for winning over moderate and conservative voters in swing districts.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/877782713641480192

this is kind of endearing

i'm with him

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Willa Rogers posted:

I can't recall seeing anywhere where he lived before moving to WI.

Ohio, not sure where though

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
These are the only two hits I've found on OpenSecrets for donors named Yankovich in Ohio

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
david yankovich is pretty clearly a huckster and grifter looking to build his national profile

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/809187687450214403

insanity

also this dumbass spent december gearing ppl up for obama to just declare the election results invalid lol

https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/809808884126859264

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

NNick posted:

Remember when Obama had a huge legion of young voters and volunteers who were going to change America and then decided Wall Street is cool 😎

Obama's Lost Army: He built a grassroots machine of two million supporters eager to fight for change. Then he let it die. This is the untold story of Obama’s biggest mistake—and how it paved the way for Trump.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Willa Rogers posted:

ok, the only recent thing I found about yanko was that he moved to WI from OH.

and if he's 47, as the one mylife match from OH with his name maintains, I wonder if this popo report is his (even tho middle initials don't match): https://www.policearrests.com/arrests/david_l_yankovich_id_7213711.html

lmao idk he looks younger than that

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
someone post the butt edge edge maoist poster

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
read settlers

break up amerikkka

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Barry Convex posted:

this is funny except for the dumb part where it suggests the DNC actually wants single-payer

also, who are people suggesting as a more progressive replacement for Pelosi? the lack of names is the reason why I'm loath to get on that bandwagon for now

Deb!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

paranoid randroid posted:

Tim Ryan seems like kind of a climber

isn't he kinda right wing or did i make that up

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/jasonaltmire/status/877977444862394368

:discourse:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
all power to teh soviets

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
god moulton sucks dick

he's a charter school cuck

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmao jesus christ

what a piece of poo poo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
gonna be funny as poo poo watching another moderate democrat from massachussetts get swift boated in a general election

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what was this

lol drat he protected his tweets

he said the House Dems had purged all of their moderates so there were no good moderates around to replace pelosi

i forget the exact wording

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i would very much to own a ballcap with this logo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

lol protected his account, what did it say?

GalacticAcid posted:

lol drat he protected his tweets

he said the House Dems had purged all of their moderates so there were no good moderates around to replace pelosi

i forget the exact wording

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

What's twitter rose mean

it means "i am a liberal"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Owen Hatherley posted:

The hammer and sickle is the symbol of communism, but didn't exist in Marx's time. It was gradually adopted after the Russian revolution, first on demonstrations and by the Red Army, and was adopted as the official symbol of the Soviet Union in 1922. Its symbolism is extremely simple – a hammer, to represent the industrial workers; a sickle, to represent the peasantry.

The alleged ruling classes in the "workers and peasants republic" could see the main tool of their labour as the insignia of their country and their movement. It may have represented a lie, but a lie to which the symbol served as a constant reproach. And as a symbol it was clearly a smart choice – memorable and easily scrawled on walls, as any visitor to Naples or Athens can still attest. It also serves as a useful reproach to the idea that communism and nazism were fundamentally identical. The swastika, the Nazis' own version, dates from the same time, and was used first in 1919 by the Freikorps, the far-right mercenaries that the German Social Democrats used to suppress their communist opponents. The swastika literally represents very little. Hinduism maybe, to esoterics like Himmler; an image of sexual sublimation for Wilhelm Reich, who saw intertwined legs as its hidden meaning. But about nazism and its political programme, the swastika said nothing. But the hammer and sickle said, unambiguously, that workers and peasants should rule.

It was also perhaps the first truly international political symbol since the tricolour and its permutations, or maybe more pertinently, since the Christian cross. Communist parties from Maerdy to Moldova to Kerala all use the hammer and sickle, as if to declare their adherence to a creed that aimed to abolish nations altogether. Some measure of its success can be garnered by the way that organisations to the right of it used similar symbols – until the 1980s, Labour used an oddly familiar symbol that featured a crossed quill and spade, with "LIBERTY" behind it to quash any doubts. So why would anyone want to abandon such a powerful and self-explanatory symbol?

Why indeed. For many, and entirely unsurprisingly, the hammer and sickle represents one thing – the one-party states that ruled several countries from 1917 to 1991, and that still rule a few – including, of course, the second-largest economy in the world. So, the PCF's reformers might well think, why should communists in the 21st century want to march under the banner used by the regime that starved and shot millions in the 1930s USSR, who declared Year Zero in Phnom Penh, or who declare that "to get rich is glorious" in contemporary Beijing? That's if communists today are even allowed to use the symbol – it is sometimes banned outright. This applies even in countries where communism still has an electoral appeal – the Czech Communist party, which came second in last year's regional elections, is forced to use a bunch of red cherries, as limp an image as Labour's red rose.

The defenders of the hammer and sickle, however, have a case. The POUM, the unorthodox communists who were ruthlessly crushed by the NKVD in the Spanish civil war, fought Stalinism under the hammer and sickle. The youth who spray the symbol today in Italy or Greece are not doing so to evoke the show trials, but to evoke class conflict and egalitarianism, and to do so as simply and quickly as possible.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
(worth reading the whole essay btw -- Has the communist hammer and sickle had its day? by Owen Hatherley on the PCF's decision to abandon the hammer and sickle)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

:drat: what a "slam."

the healthcare bill is as "mean" as Dangerous Donald.

https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/798553102961942528

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Vox Nihili posted:

If anyone knows how to find an archive or plain text of this page i would be very thankful

https://www.upwork.com/mobile/amp/freelancers/~013e54672618ab68e6

Hahah holy poo poo wasn't he in the navy for like a week before getting booted for having a dumb rear end foot

That's the entirety of his career as a spook?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*panting and wheezing from screaming my brains out, gasping*

RANDY BRYYYYYYYYYYYCE

IRON STACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

cargo cult posted:

anyone got a link that suggests dems are lining up behind Yankovich and against ironstache bryce? i need to show it to someone

They're not afaict

• Locked thread