Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision

by VideoGames
remember Friendster? ICQ? now those were cool. facebook is dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Its a little fun watching my aunts and uncles via facebook as they try to navigate being out of touch

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Beefeater

I'm hungry.
I miss ICQ :(

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Since people seem to act like asses on Facebook maybe they should just change it to Assbook

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
I had a dream in which the devil told me to never use Facebook, and since the devil's pretty drat cool I did what he said. Life's never been better for me!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless
MMOs are the only social media i need

HotSoapyBeard

I'm a really cool nice dad
HAIKOOLIGAN
My auntie followed me on instagram uh ohhhh

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

HotSoapyBeard posted:

My auntie followed me on instagram uh ohhhh

People weren't meant to stay in touch with each other the way Facebook was.

Now anonymity with funny pictures as avatars on a comedy forum, THAT'S how people should be making friends. :v:

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

vanisher

We just need to start a rival social media site that's marketed as super exclusive and watch the users roll in.

BYOBook

Manifisto

vanisher posted:

We just need to start a rival social media site that's marketed as super exclusive and watch the users roll in.

BYOBook

a social media site based on tier lists, this has potential

Manifisto

buying your way into higher tiers is considered disgraceful, but everybody does it

you can't afford not to

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

vanisher posted:

BYOBook

I think politics leads to a lot of strife and discourse, so there would have to be a "no politics" clause unless said content is just off-the-chain sweet and IN GOOD FUN.

like, presidential candidate A riding a jetski up a ramp and into the gaping maw of a squirrel with demonic red eyes, or the face of presidential candidate B on that one viral meme image from a few years back of the 80s mullet dude looking sideways and sticking his tongue at a crowd as he's catching air in those three wheel motortrikes that were banned, and his Speedo thong is so skinny and tight up his rear end that his testicles are splayed out from both sides of it.

basically, nearly perfect political images.

----------------

Starman Super DX

is there we could implement microtrans???
it's free2profile but if you want to upload pictures, text, privacy settings, etc you have to buy some BYOBBookBucks or BBBs and also they're 1000 for $200.

Tell me more!

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
somehow my future self went into the past and deactivated my Facebook and now I am fading out like Marty's siblings in Back to the Future

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
pork steaks

a lovely boy
I deactivated my facebook but I'm afraid it's just like keeping your account in a ziploc bag until you stumble upon it again one day and it's all gross and moldy but it still exists

precision

by VideoGames

pork steaks posted:

I deactivated my facebook but I'm afraid it's just like keeping your account in a ziploc bag until you stumble upon it again one day and it's all gross and moldy but it still exists

but enough about my tripod page

----------------

alnilam

I didn't log in to facebook for like 9 years but didn't delete my account and for a while the only one who didn't get it was my mom she would post stuff and send me messages and would wonder why i didn't respond an i told her i didn't use it anymore but she refused to believe that i, as a member of the group kids these days, didn't use it, anyway eventually she gave up and last year i finally actually did the work to delete my account

well that's my story of how an inactive fb account brutally trolled my mom

BoldFrankensteinMir

I have a theory- you guys ever heard of an "extinction burst"? Simply put it's a burst of energy (often frantic and distressed) you experience when a conditioned idea stops working. The classic example is in a broken elevator, you push a button but nothing happens. So you push it again, and still nothing happens. Then, as the idea of "push button to make elevator go" dies, your brain goes into extinction burst, as you mash the button a whole bunch of times and grunt like a psychotic monkey.

My theory is that social media, and specifically people using it without any sort of business purpose in mind, is the extinction burst of our social conditioning about fame. Not that long ago you had to be actually notable in some way for people around the world to be aware of you (with occasional exceptions that merely prompted people to note that fame was "fickle". Think the elevator that you only have to push the button twice sometimes). This meant there was an association, even a tenuous one, between fame and accomplishment.

But now literally anybody can plaster their face all over literally the entire planet, so the connection between fame and accomplishment is stressed to the point of breaking, and everybody is having a giant flurry of frantic panicky energy about it as they hoard friends/subscribers/followers and gnaw feebly on the long-stripped bones of fame. A whole generation grew up dreaming of being some kind of radio/TV/movie/rock/whatever star, a status symbol that is swiftly dying in a more connected world. That realization that the fame elevator doesn't work anymore makes for a lot of screaming monkey button-mashing.

TLDR

Sig by Heather Papps

joke_explainer

One of my favorite thing about Facebook is like where a business or individual offers something for sale, and a sort of exchange like this takes place:

Seller: "One used bed, box frame and mattress for $300 for anyone who wants to come pick it up"

Random person: "what size is it?"

Seller: "It's a twin"

Random person: "oh. I already have one of those."

You see it so frequently... in this situation the seller doesn't really need to know why you aren't interested, you know? But it happens in other situations too. It gives the impression of complete obliviousness and seems so weird.

Meeksha

i did it all for the nookie
Ask me how!
-freb dust
I remember when facebook was new and was only accessible via a college email domain. I met quite a few friends by putting up what bands I liked, books I liked to read, etc. Then it opened up to the whole world and became a weight to maintain. But I had a 2 kids in the last 2 years, so now it's just a repository for putting up cute photos and having people get mushy about them.

I took a new job in February and moved to NYC by myself, wife and kids to finally be coming up next month now that the house has sold. Facebook hasn't helped me meet anyone new, and it was the way I met new people when I moved for college years ago, so... I think I forgot how to make new friends.

Now I've gone and made myself sad. That wasn't very chill. drat. :comeback:

-----

come on and slam and welcome to the jam

Thank you Heather Papps for the summer sig!

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I have a theory- you guys ever heard of an "extinction burst"? Simply put it's a burst of energy (often frantic and distressed) you experience when a conditioned idea stops working. The classic example is in a broken elevator, you push a button but nothing happens. So you push it again, and still nothing happens. Then, as the idea of "push button to make elevator go" dies, your brain goes into extinction burst, as you mash the button a whole bunch of times and grunt like a psychotic monkey.

My theory is that social media, and specifically people using it without any sort of business purpose in mind, is the extinction burst of our social conditioning about fame. Not that long ago you had to be actually notable in some way for people around the world to be aware of you (with occasional exceptions that merely prompted people to note that fame was "fickle". Think the elevator that you only have to push the button twice sometimes). This meant there was an association, even a tenuous one, between fame and accomplishment.

But now literally anybody can plaster their face all over literally the entire planet, so the connection between fame and accomplishment is stressed to the point of breaking, and everybody is having a giant flurry of frantic panicky energy about it as they hoard friends/subscribers/followers and gnaw feebly on the long-stripped bones of fame. A whole generation grew up dreaming of being some kind of radio/TV/movie/rock/whatever star, a status symbol that is swiftly dying in a more connected world. That realization that the fame elevator doesn't work anymore makes for a lot of screaming monkey button-mashing.

TLDR

Couldn't it be the other way around, though? That the prevalence of mass exposure and ethereal nature of online attention is only proving that genuine fame does in fact require time and effort, and that just being out there only reduces your likelihood of being otherwise non-remarkable in the public's eye by 0.000001% (a benefit which everyone else gets, too)?

I bet that sort of realization does make for some pretty mad monkey men.

----------------

Starman Super DX

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

TLDR

Huh that was really interesting. I wonder if that's why I experience and acute disappointment or annoyance when playing a game for awhile and it suddenly seems boring. After the boredom sets in, I get a lot of negative feelings in not understanding why, despite me trying to push the happy button, I'm not feeling any happier or entertained.

Tell me more!

fuck. marry. t-rex

No I like to use it to talk to my friends

Macnult

quitting Facebook because a byob ad said it was a good idea

Mariana Horchata

fb sux, only insta (for snaps) and twitter (for sillies)... social media can be ok but u gotta make it ur biznatch

tao of lmao

trolling olds with bad opinions is extremely fun and makes Facebook entirely worth using

Zeluth

by Fluffdaddy
Nope. Have you seen my tagline?

----------------

vanisher

Logged back into a facebook acct I haven't looked at in like 3 years

Realized the same 10 people have been wishing me a happy birthday year after year

Twenty Four

I like to hang out with my personal friends over some drinks and some conversation, and I can find out what has been going on with them then, face to face. I like hanging out with my online friends here, because you all are my buddies!

No facebook, but I did have a myspace back in the day, but just because my friend set one up for me because she demanded I have one, and then I just used it to promote the bands I was in and the shows we were playing, which was actually not bad back when there was a good music scene there. I miss the bands, but I think I am better off having just skipped facebook entirely.

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
ive just spoken w/ mark zuckerberg, and as it turns out - no. we can't all just quit using facebook :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

precision

by VideoGames
all my writing/music/art is under my real name and it's an extremely (though not entirely) unique name, plus employers/co-workers looking me up. i never make Public posts unless it's just trolling people with music

----------------

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

Nosfereefer posted:

ive just spoken w/ mark zuckerberg, and as it turns out - no. we can't all just quit using facebook :(

people think Zuck has some big money-making world-domination type plan with Facebook, but really, he's just trying to collect a million friends so he can become a real human boy.

----------------

Anime is great!

fb is how I know when my friends and family are dead

Impkins Patootie

vanisher posted:

Logged back into a facebook acct I haven't looked at in like 3 years

Realized the same 10 people have been wishing me a happy birthday year after year

congrats hbd

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
I miss ICQ and the uh oh! sound :(

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo

oliwan posted:

I miss ICQ and the uh oh! sound too :(

alnilam

oliwan posted:

I miss ICQ and the uh oh! sound :(

Ein cooler Typ

by FactsAreUseless
if you don't have a facebook HR won't hire you

----------------

90s Solo Cup

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

make myspace great again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hey Whose Mule

by FactsAreUseless
Yay; but, then, also neigh.

• Locked thread