Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Problem description: The standby screen of my kindle seems to be stuck, and occupies a large part of the screen even when the kindle is running. This blocks the text, and makes it impossible to actually read books. I tried the recommended stuff online so I gave up and got a second kindle (second-hand), which immediately broke in the exact same way. Pics of both:

Attempted fixes: I tried to do the thing google keeps recommending: hold the power button for at least 20 seconds. This did not work. I did it multiple times. The broken screen remains even when the power is off. I let the battery run down to 0 on one of the kindles to see if that would do anything, and as you can see it's still a problem.

Recent changes: nope

---

Operating system: it's a kindle.

System specs: I'm honestly not sure which specific types they are -- I hope the pictures can help clear that up. The first one has a touchscreen, the second one is an older model.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've had this happen to me, and I replaced the screen about 3 times, and eventually decided to cut my losses and abandon my Kindle keyboard for a new Paperwhite.

The actual e-paper screen would have cracks in the back of it, which for some reason permanently imprints the image that was on the screen at the time, as your images show.

Maybe it was just my habitable incompetence, but the tiny brass screws that hold the motherboard to the case came loose when I was sealing it up again post-repair, and ended up rolling around the case, short-circuiting the connections and largely making the actual letter keys activate by themselves, meaning that I eventually had to open up the case to remove them until I abandoned the Kindle in question.

Tl;dr: The e-paper display has cracked, and need to be replaced. I have grave doubts about amateur repairs, as those other screens eventually ended up cracking as well in my case.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Huh, that sucks. How's the paperwhite holding up? I'm not feeling massively positive about buying another one but also I love my books too drat much to just abandon them.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Well enough for the previous nine months, but I invested in the largest, bulkiest and most rigid armoured case I could find in order to make sure that it couldn't be damaged.

• Locked thread