Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Prepare your wallets, Imps, for Gaben's hunger knowns no bounds! In a few hours, the Steam Summer Sale shall begin!!! Post the best deals to come for games you won't loving touch in two years as the backlog grows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
It's out. Restart Steam.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
oh HELL yeah

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Steam is currently down for me

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
King of Dragon Pass and Necrodancer for $3 apiece sounds good

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My backlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAxARJyaTEA

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

the DROD trilogy DLC bundle is like $2, awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

[in john glaser voice] DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALS

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's the perfect time to get the whole Lightning series for $28. They're top tier rpgs

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm getting 503 errors anyway but I hope they aren't maxing out discounts at 50% (highest I've seen so far)

edit: NVM, FTL is 75% off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

It's the perfect time to get the whole Lightning series for $28. They're top tier rpgs

I may pick up XIII-2 bc its the only one I didnt replay when the PC versions were coming out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also DMC4 Special Edition since i just bought 1 and 3 anyway.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shadow of mordor looked boring to me but it's $4

Hollow Knight is $10 but I wanna get it for switch

GOTY Nier Automata is $42

In Training posted:

Also DMC4 Special Edition since i just bought 1 and 3 anyway.

How do the bonus characters work in 4, is it totally new campaigns with them? might be worth a play through again for it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Shadow of mordor looked boring to me but it's $4

I was super skeptical about it but it was shockingly fun and ended up being my favorite of those "open world tower climbing action game" games until BotW

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought Vanquish, an old game that is not part of the steam sale. hail platinum

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HolePisser1982 posted:

King of Dragon Pass and Necrodancer for $3 apiece sounds good

Very good games

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

In Training posted:

I may pick up XIII-2 bc its the only one I didnt replay when the PC versions were coming out.

One bad thing about the PC version, you can't do the sazh dlc until after you finish the game. I want my sazh and I want him right now.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Oh dear... CMANO is on sale.

Why am I even considering buying it... there's no way in hell I'll ever actually play the damned thing!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Tell me how these games are:

Darkest Dungeon
Squad
The Final Station

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i couldn't get into it, but i've only heard good things about darkest dungeons

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Oh and This War of Mine too. Did everyone give it super high ratings because ohhh, it's sooo deep and thoughtful LOL etc. or is it actually good and replayable?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Eagle posted:

Its shame because I couldn't really stand 13-2. I loved 13 though which nearly everyone else online tells me is garbage

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Darkest Dungeon

Kind of repetitive but the combat is solid. Buy shovels and torches often.

Picked up Stanley Parable and Mordor for under 8 bucks. Backlog is starting to fill up.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
large post full of words about games i like and think deserve bigger audience

Bionic Commando 2k9 (2 bucks): everyone slammed it on release but its really fun especially since you can aim with a mouse. Swinging is good and fluid. (IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED REARMED, ITS REALLY GOOD TOO, BOTH FOR 3 BUCKS IS A STEAL)

Painkiller Black (2,50): Serious Sam styled but every gun feels really good and the stages arent only Open Desert area. Lots of hidden goodies to find and you move a mile a second, it owns.

Rayman legends (15 bucks): I think this is one of the greatest platformers ever made. It once was going for 12 bucks but still absolutely worth it for 15. Origins is going for 10 bucks too but I always felt that game didnt control as good, ran a bit too long with some stage themes, and some of its best stages are remastered in Legends (they still saw fit to include ALL the mashy mosquito ones for some reason)

N++ (7,50): Please buy this i need more people in my leaderboards, its really good i swear. momentum based platforming. The instadeath thing can be a real turn off for some people coupled with the precision they demand, and they do that meat boy cotton alley thing where they take the strength of fast respawns on short levels and throw that out the window to make you endure really long difficult challenges. Imo how good it is still outweighs all that. also they did an update recently where they literally doubled the amount of stages the game has, so 7 bucks is a steal.

Snakebird (3,50): Really tough puzzler with relaxing colors music and design.

English Country Tune (1 buck): This is easily for me one of the best puzzle games ever made. 3d spatial grid based puzzles where each world has a different rule you have to figure out then master.

Flywrench (3,50): This has finally hit a price point i can feel comfortable recommending people buy it at. At first the movement will feel weird but the game is blazing fast dexterity test where you have to constantly switch between movement modes to go through color coded barriers. It has a really good jungle and drum n bass soundtrack.

Abe's Exoddus (0,75): One of the best cinematic platformers ever made. This is the most accessible of the two abe games because the first one, oddysee doesnt have a quick load function and you can't guide more than one mudokon npc at once, which grows real tedious. Exoddus fixes all of that. 75 cents for a really good game. Old, so it might be finnicky to work on modern OSes but IIRC they are the GOG fix releases.

Roundabout (2 bucks): It has a lot of bad jokes but if you liked kuru kuru kururin its exactly the same but in a large open map. If you dont know what that is: you control a constantly spinning vehicle, and you have to guide it around tight mazes. Mouse control makes this a super enjoyable game and lets them crank the difficulty way up.

Noitu Love 2: Devolution (2 bucks): Treasure inspired game made by an insane japanese man. you punch a lot of robots and grapple them, and fight lots of minibosses. Superb sprite animation on some of them.

Also I'm reticent to recommend these cause I don't think people here will like them, but I believe Bleed is a good game, and Bleed 2 is supremely fantastic. Again both inspired by Treasure, with a focus on minibosses with lots of patterns you have to learn. You are helped by a triple airdash and slow mo; the airdash gets faster turning speed while in slomo which lets you do some intense bullet weaving that feels fantastic. The problem is: The games are not pretty. At all. Especially the first one. The second is REALLY short for its price point and reuses a few of the first game's bosses. Despite all this, I love how they play and the slow mo air dashing bullet dodging is hard to find elsewhere, especially how tight they feel. Bleed 1 is 2 dollars and Bleed 2 goes for 8. If you're gonna play only one, do 2, because it's good. It's really good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im also gonna vouch for rayman legends and painkiller black, legends is a really fantastic platformer and the most nintendoey nonnintendo game ive played

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
dont fall into the trap where people complained the ports didnt get the wii u tablet control character: in the wii u version YOU control a little guy that moves traps and bridges and ropes, but rayman gets controlled by an ai. You don't even play as rayman half the time. On the ports the dude gets assigned to a shoulder button so it becomes a fun timing challenge.

also as i was going through my list, i was surprised legends is still on steam cause ubisoft removed driver san francisco and some other uplay game. popcap apparently removed the bookworm games too which sucks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Burnout Paradise is on sale for 5 bucks and that game is godlike.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Darkest Dungeon
Squad
The Final Station

squad has great game and sound design and is a lot of fun with cooperative teammates, but there are a lot of crazy foreigners and children and drunk people with scratchy mics who cant be muted because the game is focused on teamplay. so its best if you have a bunch of friends who play together or if you put in the time to find a good server.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

Burnout Paradise is on sale for 5 bucks and that game is godlike.

if you dont own burnout paradise by now you're really loving up so take this deal.
if anyone wants to do online challenges, i have never uninstalled this and am pretty much always willing to do it. (The servers are still up)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anybody ever play the steam version of Dead Rising? I've been curious about it but the last time I bought a mildly old Capcom game on steam it took more effort to get it running than a DOS game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Anybody ever play the steam version of Dead Rising? I've been curious about it but the last time I bought a mildly old Capcom game on steam it took more effort to get it running than a DOS game.

It is a very good port. Most every modern day Capcom PC release is a good port.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
Is Way of the Samurai 4 fun? And is it a good port?

also In Training did you ever play Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and if so, what did you think of it?

One Man Trash fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 23, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

man nurse posted:

It is a very good port. Most every modern day Capcom PC release is a good port.

Ty.

One Man Trash posted:

also In Training did you ever play Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and if so, what did you think of it?

Napishtim is the weakest of that trilogy with that engine, I believe it was the first one they made with that tech and then produced Oath and Origins with it. So they were still figuring some stuff out with the level design and level curves but the combat is still really fast and fun and there's some good rear end bosses. It's worth checking out for 6 bucks if you've already played Oath and Origins

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Oh and This War of Mine too. Did everyone give it super high ratings because ohhh, it's sooo deep and thoughtful LOL etc. or is it actually good and replayable?

It's fine. There are some game balance problems where the optimal strategy turns out roughly the same each game (upgrade doors, eat every other day, get a fire axe quickly and save it for the winters etc.), but it's fine for like 10-15 hours of game play. The high ratings is definitely due to the subject matter, but there's an okay survival game under all that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

One Man Trash posted:

il ike the way of the samurai games a lot bbut theyre kind of love them/hate thm games. i think 3's up for dirt cheap, try tht one first and see if you like

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

if you dont own burnout paradise by now you're really loving up so take this deal.
if anyone wants to do online challenges, i have never uninstalled this and am pretty much always willing to do it. (The servers are still up)

ive never played a burnout game :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

Kind of repetitive but the combat is solid. Buy shovels and torches often.

Picked up Stanley Parable and Mordor for under 8 bucks. Backlog is starting to fill up.

One Man Trash posted:

squad has great game and sound design and is a lot of fun with cooperative teammates, but there are a lot of crazy foreigners and children and drunk people with scratchy mics who cant be muted because the game is focused on teamplay. so its best if you have a bunch of friends who play together or if you put in the time to find a good server.

Azraelle posted:

It's fine. There are some game balance problems where the optimal strategy turns out roughly the same each game (upgrade doors, eat every other day, get a fire axe quickly and save it for the winters etc.), but it's fine for like 10-15 hours of game play. The high ratings is definitely due to the subject matter, but there's an okay survival game under all that.

TY.

• Locked thread