Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
So!

I found out the place I'm getting my meats for the 4th can get and deliver a suckling pig! Being the good team member I am at work I figured I should get said pig and bring it in for my group. The butcher is going to charge me next week once the final weight comes in, should be 10---12 pounds and it's at a reasonable price for my area (once this is done I'll drop the butcher for those in area).

Now I've cooked bigger whole pigs as an all day thing, but not one of these fuckers. Anybody here has? Any advice? Anyone hasn't but knows how it's done. It seems far less complex and I'm probably A++ level for a home chef. Just fishing for ideas, I don't usually get to play with something like this and it's going to be good fun.

Will take pictures and POST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tender-crispy-skinned-whole-suckling-pig

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-how-to-roast-a-whole-suckling-pig.html

I have not personally done either recipe, but would love to see someone take them for a spin.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
A lot of that weight is skin & bones. Probably can't feed more than 10 persons with a suckling pig.

I imagine the fare will be supplemented by burgers and dogs and more. Just don't expect a suckling pig to provide a lot of meat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BluesShaman posted:

A lot of that weight is skin & bones. Probably can't feed more than 10 persons with a suckling pig.

I imagine the fare will be supplemented by burgers and dogs and more. Just don't expect a suckling pig to provide a lot of meat.

Skin is delicious and bones can be saved for stock though. Put a pan of baked beans under the pig to catch the dripping!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Yeah, you make cracklins with the skin. Delicious stuff if done right.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Skin is delicious and bones can be saved for stock though. Put a pan of baked beans under the pig to catch the dripping!

This is an excellent idea.

BluesShaman posted:

Yeah will be more! But this is the interesting part.

EDIT - Butcher says my pig arrives Sunday, he is 15 pounds.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2017

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I hope he's a cutie :shobon:

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Astonishing Wang posted:

I hope he's a cutie :shobon:

It's a well-known fact that the cuter the animal, the better it tastes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How's the pig planning going? Take pics!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I had a VERY sad pork experience this weekend in Baja. The dude was planning on putting a whole pig on a rotisserie and cooking it slow and low. Somehow somebody talked him into doing it on the grill and I don't know what went wrong because I couldn't bite through the meat and it did not taste good. I also don't know how he fit it all on a grill... The upside was that it was a potluck and everything else was awesome. And I didn't get diarrhea.

I need you to have a success here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Paging David Cameron to the thread, David Cameron to the sucking pig thread.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Make sure you save the cheeks for yourself

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Look at this shameful motherfucker.

Blue balls over here man. I wanna see that suckin pig :mad:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Left hangin' by the hogman

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
talk dirty to me, OP

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
pretty sure the OP should have to do some sort of challenge or something for abandoning this thread

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Agreed. Maybe he should post a picture of good food.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that would be what we here at somethingawful.com call 'a good start'

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
A traditional English-style roast Sucking Pig, noted favorite of former Prime Minister David Cameron.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's like a goon project except there was just one goon doing it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hooray! New posts in the suckling pig thread!

Boo, no actual suckling pig developments.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hooray! New posts in the suckling pig thread!

Boo, no actual suckling pig developments.

no this thread is the 'sucking' pig thread

because it loving sucks

ayoooooooooo lmao ill be here all night, remember to tip your bartenders, they work really really really really really really really really really really hard pouring liquid into those glasses

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the work of a bartender is not serving drinks but dealing with drunks, refraining from killing them until they're plausibly off property, and only robbing them a little bit

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
le petit rob

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok, normally I don't bump poo poo threads, because that's a pet peeve of mine

you know what else is a pet peeve of mine?

someone posting a thread about doing something that literally has been on my mind as a 'hey, I should do this for my birthday or a thanksgiving or celebration or something, I've always really wanted to really do this, I'd be really interested if someone on the internet posted a thread about it and gave updates about how they did it and maybe pictures' type thing, and then them promising 'hey! I'll post an update and pictures!' and then literally that not ever happening.

forums poster 'MysteriousStranger' I don't know or care who you are, by all appearances just a 2016 GBS yifftard, but post goddamn pictures and an update of your sucking pig cooking thing or I promise to god on all that is holy I will GWS permaban honor duel you to cook a loving sucking pig and post an update and pictures of the process, so that I can see said update and pictures or see you banished from this godforsaken forum forever.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831825

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A) Mindphlux, that curse/challenge is glorious.
B) Why the hell are the meatpix in a different post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol

oh hey that looks pretty good, gj

:shobon:

• Locked thread