Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

cnut posted:

What would you guys suggest for someone who likes Wolfenstein/Doom/Singularity type games?

Check out the Shadow Warrior remake and its sequel, they're both good for different reasons but the original remake is more linear and level-based like Doom / Wolfenstein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

cnut posted:

What would you guys suggest for someone who likes Wolfenstein/Doom/Singularity type games?

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Shadow Warrior 2 (idk skip the first one if you want, they aren't related at all plotwise its a bit too much of a slog by the last 1/3)
Metro 2033 + Last Light
Prey (less about fast-shooting and more about spacey horror but you can definitely be run n gun doommarine by halfway thru the game though)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 23, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't see much I want in this sale but I did see that the meat boy guy is releasing a new platformer next month which is like, gaming news of the century.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light were pretty fun. They're also 75% off and in a bundle so that's a really good value vs mans shooting time.

a bone to pick posted:

Check out the Shadow Warrior remake and its sequel, they're both good for different reasons but the original remake is more linear and level-based like Doom / Wolfenstein.

Xaris posted:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Shadow Warrior 2 (idk skip the first one if you want, they aren't related at all plotwise its a bit too much of a slog by the last 1/3)
Metro 2033 + Last Light
Prey (less about fast-shooting and more about spacey horror but you can definitely be run n gun doommarine by halfway thru the game though)

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't see much I want in this sale but I did see that the meat boy guy is releasing a new platformer next month which is like, gaming news of the century.

Newgrounds era art in the Year of Luigi 2017

Draws like a literal child

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

what about Hollow Knight and Hyperlight Drifter

they are really good. HK is probably indie GOTY 2017

also i'm old and bad at platformers now unless its donkey kong/mario/rayman. most indie platformers make me sad

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Putty posted:

Newgrounds era art in the Year of Luigi 2017

Draws like a literal child

Meat boy would still be fun if you were a cube and were avoiding triangles, who cares??? Easily the best platform game ever made.

Hyper light drifter is cool, I have it already. Hollow knight I'm unsure of - it's tentatively on my wish list but I'm not sold yet. I've had enough "garden variety" metroidvanias to last a lifetime, what's the hook for that one?

I'm considering dead cells, it looks pretty good even if I don't like rogue legacy-style rewards for losing.

I really want to play prey but I'm gonna wait for it to cost $5.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 23, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
HK is really good. its easily a top 3 metroidvania game. hook is its just a really gorgeous with good music, somewhat sad, extremely tight controlling & slick well done game. i mean if you are really sick of metroidvanias, sure w/e wait until you arent sick of them, but it's a really well done one and miles above most indie games.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I played ori and the blind forest recently and it was great but yeah, need a breather before I really wanna do another one. I'll keep it in mind.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Meat boy would still be fun if you were a cube and were avoiding triangles, who cares??? Easily the best platform game ever made.

The best performer ever made is Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok I already have a Worms game and Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed, what else should I get to cover all my "let's plug in 2 controllers and have some split-screen fun" needs?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Creamed Cormp posted:

Ok I already have a Worms game and Sonic & Sega Racing Transformed, what else should I get to cover all my "let's plug in 2 controllers and have some split-screen fun" needs?

Spelunky

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

spudsbuckley posted:

I haven't bought anything in a Steam sale in around 3 years because i buy the good games from cdkey websites when they come out so i don' have to wait 5 years for them to be the same price on the Steam store.

Also, PC exclusives aren't very good for the past decade or so so i spend most of my time playing stuff on my PS4. Also, PSN sale prices on major games tend to happen about 6 months after release and are the same price Steam sales.

imagine being this dumb lol. LOL

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
VA-11 HALL-A: CYBERPUNK BARTENDING ACTION is on sale for :10bux: too. If you're looking for what's basically a visual novel about getting people drunk, I think it's kind of worth messing with. I really like it, even if the "gameplay" is only marginally there. You drag ingredients into a mixer to make and serve drinks, and people gush to you about their lives. I think I've seen it go on sale for less though so you could probably hold out if you're on the fence.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Aren't steam key websites some big scam thing for laundering money or stolen credit cards

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Putty posted:

Aren't steam key websites some big scam thing for laundering money or stolen credit cards

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Bought Baldurs Gate EE, because the only I'm old and new games don't do it for me anymore.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
you're thinking of those gambling sites that use CS:GO gun skins instead of money

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

DiHK posted:

Bought Baldurs Gate EE, because the only I'm old and new games don't do it for me anymore.

Might want to check out Pillars of Eternity. It's under $20 and a pretty good spiritual successor to BG. I was having a good time with it until the Witcher 3 DLC went on sale enough for me to buy it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Might want to check out Pillars of Eternity. It's under $20 and a pretty good spiritual successor to BG. I was having a good time with it until the Witcher 3 DLC went on sale enough for me to buy it.

its really bad imo

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Xaris posted:

HK is probably indie GOTY 2017

night in the woods

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xaris posted:

what about Hollow Knight and Hyperlight Drifter

they are really good. HK is probably indie GOTY 2017

also i'm old and bad at platformers now unless its donkey kong/mario/rayman. most indie platformers make me sad

Also nope because the meat boy guy is releasing a platformer, as stated, it is goty and it's not even out yet!!!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Also nope because the meat boy guy is releasing a platformer, as stated, it is goty and it's not even out yet!!!

it's got the guy from the red letters i hear.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
how about that metroid II PC clone huh

(it's sick. find it and dl it)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Jose posted:

its really bad imo

I like pretty much every RPG ever made, but god drat is pillars of eternity boring as hell. There's pretty much nothing that you haven't seen before, or that makes it in any way interesting, once you take of your "OMG I REMEMBER BALDURS GATE" rose-tinted glasses.

Despite this I bought tyranny, hope it's good.

Also can someone tell me why exactly nier automata is good. It seems like a mega over the top anime hack and slash, that is almost embarassing to play.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nier is very thematic and cool, exploring the nature of what it is to be human or worth caring about. I haven't finished it or anything so I don't know quite where it goes but it's fun. The swordfight stuff isn't that great to me, kinda generic, it's more about the story/theme. Don't expect a deep combat system ala bayonetta.

I wanna know more about tyranny, it certainly looks cool but the piles of dlc and "editions" and poo poo is kind of a turnoff, plus it seems like a game that will be $5 in a year or two.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Nier is very thematic and cool, exploring the nature of what it is to be human or worth caring about. I haven't finished it or anything so I don't know quite where it goes but it's fun. The swordfight stuff isn't that great to me, kinda generic, it's more about the story/theme. Don't expect a deep combat system ala bayonetta.

I wanna know more about tyranny, it certainly looks cool but the piles of dlc and "editions" and poo poo is kind of a turnoff, plus it seems like a game that will be $5 in a year or two.

Ok that sounds cool, japanese games tend to be pretty into the nature of mankind for some reason, maybe I'll grab it if it gets a bit cheaper.

Wish I could tell you more about tyranny but I'm literally on the first screen right now. The intro has a cool "choose your own adventure" kind of story which I haven't seen before, and there seems to be lots of quality of life features that are neat, like highlighting certain lore-related terms in convos that you can hover over and get more details about.

The story is also pretty unique as far as i can see from the intro, basically "bad guy won and you're his faithful enforcer... or are you?"

e: Also at first glance it seems very well written, with a lot of little details sprinkled in that could maybe turn relevant? Backstory seems solid.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 23, 2017

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Tyranny scratches that CRPG itch and has a really cool magic system where you basically build your own spells using a base element and a bunch of different modifiers. I dug the story A LOT, and I say that as someone who can't be bothered to give a poo poo about stories in games anymore. The only thing that sucks is it's a little too short but if you're getting it on sale that's easier to look past. It was probably my favorite game that came out last year.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

I like pretty much every RPG ever made, but god drat is pillars of eternity boring as hell. There's pretty much nothing that you haven't seen before, or that makes it in any way interesting, once you take of your "OMG I REMEMBER BALDURS GATE" rose-tinted glasses.

Also can someone tell me why exactly nier automata is good. It seems like a mega over the top anime hack and slash, that is almost embarassing to play.

You fight robot dinosaurs and can ride some of them.

If this hasn't sold you on the game that's fine.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I might give it a go. I bought way of the samurai 4 despite everyone's lack of help

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

morally adept posted:

Don't think I will, since it looks like an anime.

I hope to never see the likes of it again now that they added filters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

reignofevil posted:

You fight robot dinosaurs and can ride some of them.

If this hasn't sold you on the game that's fine.

noooo that's the other 2017 robot apocalypse game, horizon zero dawn

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

I really struggled to get engaged in Pillars also. I dunno, I never played Baldurs Gate but Pillars seemed neat. It just...I dunno. I played for like 3 hours and all that really happened was a weird vision and I killed some bandits? Like, you gotta hook me faster than that because I was just bored.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Turmoil posted:

I hope to never see the likes of it again now that they added filters.

Oh poo poo, this changes everything.

edit: How do you add shown anime filter?

edit 2: Got it. Funny that I opened my queue and the first thing was some dumb anime poo poo. Bye bye!

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 24, 2017

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Should I get My Summer Car or is buying an early access game as poor of a life choice as I think it is?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

noooo that's the other 2017 robot apocalypse game, horizon zero dawn

gently caress I'm a fraud.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The Talos Principle is pretty cool. It's a 3d puzzle-platformer, a little bit like Portal but with robots, philosophy and biblical references.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://store.steampowered.com/app/384190/ABZU/

I bought ABZU. It's very relaxing, very pretty, and sounds nice too. Some tension is there when you're going into dark territory because you don't know if something is going to be a threat. I'm still not sure if I can die yet. It's a good exploration game for spacing out and wandering and look at stuff.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why can't I read about video games without seeing a blind girls rear end? Please explain. She doesn't really look anime so it's confusing.

Having said that, Anime, Indie, and VR are the steam tags I don't want to see. Indie games are literal garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

i miss when cpucores (http://store.steampowered.com/app/384300/CPUCores__Maximize_Your_FPS/) was user-tagged with psychological horror

• Locked thread