Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Jose posted:

dragons dogma has a romance system that is determined by how much a character likes you and can result in every npc in the game being who gets rescued at the end. most of the time this will be the princess or female knight involved in most major quests but you can get the castle jester instead because you can give items to people to ensure its them

I sort of think the romance thing in the game was sort of wrong way around and should have been used differently to make the storyline more varied. I guess you have all these potential love interest characters, maybe work them into directly affecting your party and the storyline sooner in the game and have an option of replacing one of the pawns with them.

Some examples of what I mean using a few random love interests from the game:

So, you might end up with a character who is lost but feels an almost religious devotion to the Arisen.
When they join your party, they will always fight anyone who threatens you.
They aren't even a love interest as much at first, just incredibly devoted to you in a sense of hero worship because they think you give them purpose in life after they've been disgraced.

Another character might be a bit of a conniving self-interested treasure seeker person who will join you.
They're good in a fight, and great finding extra rare treasures during looting, but sometimes they will keep a portion of all gold for themselves.
They are maybe a little sweet on you, but in the end they'll claim joining up with you was just a means to enhance their own reputation.

Another character might be some royal who cannot go on a fight with you due to their status, but they will sponsor an extra pawn of your choosing in their place
While they do nothing for you in battle, but each time you earn more XP and return to them they'll grant you a boon of gold for your efforts in ridding the lands of monsters.
Not so much a romance in the loving sense, but the romance they want from you is in the form of tales and adventures you have had that is so far from their castle life.

Etc.

The storyline can sort of be different by the end based on who you took into your party and what their story is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm really close to just dropping the hammer on Wasteland 2 because I want something like the classic Fallout games because the Fallout 3-era stuff never really ever clicked with me as much as they should have and I'm really not sure I want to give Fallout 4 a go to see if it does.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
While all the various 'game maker' style programs are still on sale, if I was sort of interested in one as a hobbyist activity, is there one worth getting?

I have only a slight interest in RPGs, but RPG Maker MV seems like a it'd be easy enough to screw around with and have support for a while down the road in case I got more into it. However, the RPGMakers I seemed to think go on sale quite a bit between various sites so grabbing it now doesn't seem too pressing.

• Locked thread