Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Jose posted:

its really bad imo

I like pretty much every RPG ever made, but god drat is pillars of eternity boring as hell. There's pretty much nothing that you haven't seen before, or that makes it in any way interesting, once you take of your "OMG I REMEMBER BALDURS GATE" rose-tinted glasses.

Despite this I bought tyranny, hope it's good.

Also can someone tell me why exactly nier automata is good. It seems like a mega over the top anime hack and slash, that is almost embarassing to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Nier is very thematic and cool, exploring the nature of what it is to be human or worth caring about. I haven't finished it or anything so I don't know quite where it goes but it's fun. The swordfight stuff isn't that great to me, kinda generic, it's more about the story/theme. Don't expect a deep combat system ala bayonetta.

I wanna know more about tyranny, it certainly looks cool but the piles of dlc and "editions" and poo poo is kind of a turnoff, plus it seems like a game that will be $5 in a year or two.

Ok that sounds cool, japanese games tend to be pretty into the nature of mankind for some reason, maybe I'll grab it if it gets a bit cheaper.

Wish I could tell you more about tyranny but I'm literally on the first screen right now. The intro has a cool "choose your own adventure" kind of story which I haven't seen before, and there seems to be lots of quality of life features that are neat, like highlighting certain lore-related terms in convos that you can hover over and get more details about.

The story is also pretty unique as far as i can see from the intro, basically "bad guy won and you're his faithful enforcer... or are you?"

e: Also at first glance it seems very well written, with a lot of little details sprinkled in that could maybe turn relevant? Backstory seems solid.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 23, 2017

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Skypie posted:

I really struggled to get engaged in Pillars also. I dunno, I never played Baldurs Gate but Pillars seemed neat. It just...I dunno. I played for like 3 hours and all that really happened was a weird vision and I killed some bandits? Like, you gotta hook me faster than that because I was just bored.

Yeah this is what I mean. I played it a lot further until I had like a castle and went through a big city into a woodland village or something, and just nothing of interest happened. It could have been fine if the characters were in any way interesting, but I don't even remember one companion.

Anyway Tyranny is turning out to be pretty good, there's a system where almost every action you take increases your standing with certain factions, and it's really neat since the two main factions are polar opposites from each other and both are interesting in their own way.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I miss the changing prices and flash sales. Made it really interesting. Now I just check the sale once, buy maybe one game, then don't bother.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

so final verdict tyranny after like 10 hours: it's real good. Characters are really interesting and pretty much all written realistically, the story is good and the gameplay has perfected the isometric rpg elements imho, that even someone like me who never liked this stype gets by just fine. Also the choices you do have a lot of little impacts on the world, I'm not sure how much of the grander story changes but having a lot of people commenting on things you did and changing their reactions to you is neat.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Colonel Cancer posted:

Given that you kind of play a villain, does it have nuanced choices or is it more of the usual with great options like "give up your money to a random stranger for no reason" vs "murder them, their family and piss on their corpses"?

Id say more nuanced, due to the reputation system working with many different factions you can usually decide between goodish, practical and ruthless options that you have to concider in terms of Impact. If you decide according to the official office you hold youre supposed to be efficient and just, if you want to follow another faction you need to be rebelous or fixated on strength. Tbh Ive not really noticed any of the usual cliche "goody two shoes or twisted psyko" choices you usually get. I dig it a lot. The give money to strangers option is usually given when you get a real benefit so it doesnt seem as dumb as usual.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The Walrus posted:

is this supposed to be a joke?

This is literally something that happens in the game

The game is really really good btw, it's got lazer machine guns for christs sake

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

All in all I think I'm actually over steam, the other services have turned pretty good, and I'm for example enjoying the origin 4€ monthly subscription thing where I can play a shitload of actual good games without buying them. I barely play video games anymore anyway so.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Jose posted:

don't tell us waht that service is so we might use it

oh wait its origin lol

its actually pretty usable today idk, I used to hate it and now I'm indifferent to it. They've got a bunch of games in the access for "free", some real good ones like DA:O , Crysis 3, the new mirrors edge or mass effect triology, plus a shitload of old school games. I played through dungeon keeper a while ago it was awesome.

https://www.origin.com/deu/de-de/store/origin-access/vault-games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Maya Fey posted:

also all those games are trash

did you just call dungeon keeper trash, fuccboi?

• Locked thread