Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watched the season a second time and I think I enjoyed it more on a re-watch. The comedy works so much better than on OITNB which helps a lot. Though I'm actually starting to think that basing it on the real promotion of GLOW is just going to hold the show back since in real life it pretty much just fizzled out without much fanfare. I really want to see these ladies work their way up to the big time. Though I guess they've taken enough liberties with it already that they could go in a completely different direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ouhei posted:

Just finished up this show last night and loved it. The whole time I kept trying to figure out what felt so refreshing about the show and it finally hit me in episode 6 or 7. Outside of Ruth loving Debbie's husband, none of the drama of the show is really derived from the characters in it being horrible to each other. They're mostly all flawed people in their own ways, but there's not this horrible character to character drama that so many shows these days focus on. Rhonda and Sam's relationship is never a real focus and even ends without any sort of real fall out (it was also great to see her character having a great understanding of that relationship), Bash turns out to be a genuinely caring person, Cherry's marriage is basically perfect, and hell even Ruth basically does everything right in terms of navigating her relationship with Debbie after the affair.

It was just cool as hell to watch 10 episodes of a show where people aren't just constantly being poo poo to each other in order to create drama.

I dunno, people are constantly being lovely towards each other, they just sort of get over it and move on, though, like adults. The best part is when they cliffhanger the stolen camera as some major dramatic moment and absolutely nothing comes of it other than "well that was a dumb thing to do".

Bash is also really good, it's super rare to have that kind of smarmy trust fund kid just be a genuinely nice guy who's really passionate. Even if they do go a bit overboard with the cocaine and eccentric future house just because it's a period piece.

• Locked thread