Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Wrestling fan here. I liked the show. It was a fun, dark comedy in the style of Orange is the New Black but the cast wasn't quite as endearing as OITNB's was in the first season.

I also could have done with 1 hour long episodes, particularly since there were only 10. I know people complain that Netflix shows drag in the middle, and I'm probably in the minority, but with a fun ensemble cast like this one has I could have used the focus being on different characters with an extra 20~ minutes an episode. I felt like Junk Chain(Sydelle Noel) could have used some more screen time and background. Similarly, Justine's story was also very weak and relied too much on the trope and less on her being an interesting character.

I guess I could have done with a little more social commentary at times, but it also felt like when they did some social commentary it was mostly for laughs but with a hint of subtext that whatever they were joking about was actually a serious social issue that is hosed up.

Kia Stevens aka Awesome Kong was great and they used her really well. When she was 'The Welfare Queen' she came off great because she obviously knew the kind of mannerisms that a pro wrestler would do.

I'm curious if they'll stick with the GLOW format and have an almost entirely new cast each season.

I wasn't sold on Betty Gilpin, having seen her in Nurse Jackie, Masters of Sex and more recently in American Gods; she hasn't really shown me anything in the way of her performance beyond being acceptable. Her range was good for the role here though, as it was totally her wheelhouse, and although I didn't think she was great there were a couple moments in the last episodes where she had some good lines and delivered them well.

Similarly, I wasn't overly excited by Brie in the beginning, sometimes due to the writing being a little too much, but when she wasn't being written as overacting, I thought she did a really good job as an actor trying to embrace a style of performance. Also I'll give Brie credit for a role that didn't play up her looks, in fact quite the opposite.

Maron sadly stole the show from the ladies though. He had a much better arc, a bit more to do than the other characters, and you wanted him to succeed in the end more than the other characters too I felt. Strangely, Brie had the most inconsistent story arc of them all as she was just spinning her wheels a lot while other characters did things. Again, if they'd had another ten/twenty minutes an episode I would have liked to see her embracing the role more, being the eyes of the viewer into more pro wrestling behind the scenes stuff, and becoming more empowered in her daily life by being a prowrestler.

Overall another solid Netflix show I'll be watching when it comes back for Season 2.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Superrodan posted:

I did think it was an interesting choice to have a full opening credits sequence in only the first episode, and to replace it with a shortened title sequence in all the rest. Have any other shows done that?

Definitely not the first show to do that but I'll be damned if I can name one right now. I'm drawing a blank and You Tube isn't helping other than Full House. I swear there's a more recent example that I just can't think of that should be really drat obvious.

edit: Friends apparently had one, as did Grey's Anatomy; can't confirm as I never watched those. Ok, reading more apparently a lot of show that went into syndication received shortened intros for more ad time.

edit 2: Psych was the more recent show that I was trying to think of that had a short and a long intro, but it occurs to me that it's been off the air for years now.

PostNouveau posted:

I so prefer the shorter episodes and season though. I just blew through this show, whereas I'm just limping through OitNB because it's such a drat slog in the middle.

It felt like maybe they weren't given the usual 13, 1 hour, episode format and instead just kind of told "Here's your budget, come back with a show." and then they realized after editing that they could get everything in 10 episodes. With a show like OitNB I definitely forget the middle but that's mostly because of binge watching, however they could probably stand to cut 3-4 episodes, which translates to 3-4 hours of viewing time. This show could have easily snuck in two episodes that each focused on the girls living and training together and told the backstory of a lot of the other girls, and 2 episodes would have only added an hour onto the show and it wouldn't have dragged and I think would have helped some of the weaker characters.

I recently watched Good Behavior which is also only 10 episodes. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind that is compared to shows that get the usual 13 or the full 22-24. It would certainly be nice to think that showrunners have enough control of their shows in cases like these to just say "I'm making a show and however many episodes I need to tell my story; that's what you get!"

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 25, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Watching the original pilot(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwbNjHfoNn4), it's funny how true they got the corny-ness of the show. Right down to making the raps somehow just as mindbogglingly bad. Also funny to see the lady that would go on to play Ivory in the WWE. Bash was actually a better announcer, despite trying to be bad he just couldn't act this terribly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Qmass posted:

Was that house in a bruce willis movie ? That circle window thing is giving me deja vu.

edit: gently caress me, the dumb poo poo I have wasting space in my brain...

That movie had a bit of notoriety because you got to see Bruce Willis penis and they wanted to make it an NC-17 film. Also as far as sex scenes in a pool, it's a lot better than Showgirls or Wild Things.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Off topic a bit, but did anyone here watch Nurse Jackie and how did you feel about it?

It was a show that to me never quite found it's footing, and although I watched every episode I was never sure why I was watching it because I can't say I enjoyed it in retrospect. Most of my time was spent wondering what ridiculous way the writers were going to keep Jackie out of series trouble, and her life slowly devolved but I never felt sympathy for her. I think it's hard with drug addicts, because they're less sympathetic characters due to cultural and social stigma surrounding addiction but they certainly didn't paint her very well. I was mostly apathetic I guess and that's where I found the problem with the show; I wasn't rooting for or excited by seeing her world collapse, but I wasn't sympathetic enough towards the character to want to see her overcome her demons either.

The show always felt like it was too busy trying to hold onto the status quo as well in terms of keeping all the same characters at the hospital, and keeping the hospital as this quirky place that provides a stage for the rest of the drama, but isn't really part of the show itself if that makes sense.

• Locked thread