Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was listening to the Greaseman episode at work and there were a few minutes when I had to literally grip my chair and squeeze my eyes shut to not turn it off. Absolutely brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bryan's tolerance for terrible poo poo is genuinely humbling.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This wasn't quite as much of a "nail biting, heavy breathing" experience as the Greaseman, but was probably the funniest Shocktober episode. Mancow interviewing Milo was some of the funniest audio I've ever heard. You could also tell how utterly delighted Bryan was with every clip he played.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You cannot imagine the auditory pleasures which await you.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I tried to explain to my girlfriend (who likes Street Fight) how good the Greaseman and Mancow episodes were and she said "It doesn't sound like that would be very pleasant to listen to."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He's been apologizing on Facebook. I couldn't listen past the beginning. It feels like he's actually a lot more anxious about having COVID than he wanted to let on and is trying to joke it away in poor taste. Definitely interested in how he approaches it on Wednesday.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

secretly best girl posted:

Brett got a divorce, currently has Covid, and the year is breaking the man this close to the finish line in a way that's beginning to bleed into the pods in a "is this a cry for help" fashion

Guess we'll see what tonight's show looks like

Yeah, I've been getting a bit of a "my dude is slamming the self-destruct button" vibes. Like, the fact that he's been doing DoorDash to pay for Christmas can't have been good for his mental health. I hope a bit of a break does everybody good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think it's fine to quote in full:

Bretty Payne posted:

I owe you an apology

Hey gang, I appreciate all y’all’s feedback and continued support of the show. I realize I have been in a terrible place on the show over the last month or so and I’m kind of imploding. Thank you for treating me with kindness and voicing your concerns or even just understanding that I’m going through something and letting it slide. I apologize if my inconsiderate attitude has real ramifications for you or if I just let you down with my selfishness. I’m just having a really tough year. I’m attempting to get some professional help but you know how impossible that is, but I am trying.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean it's the classic parasocial thing. Like, I found the bit sort of grating and off-tone, but when you're doing like 5 hours of content per week, including with live callers, not every 15 minutes is gold. Who cares, skip forward through it. But I think a lot of people take a lot of comfort in a show like Street Fight where it feels like they're being real about poo poo (like Brett doing Doordash to pay for Christmas, for example), so the line between content and real life is way harder to maintain. From the perspective of the show it's probably just the cost of doing business, dealing with weird moments like that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bryan is the coolest man alive. He's the most perfect American.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I would sponsor him to walk across the country, but only to spread awareness of walking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Eating 12 Reese's eggs in bed in the middle of the night and drooling peanut butter on your wife's pillow is loving hilarious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

loving dying at Bryan spending over 2 grand on Legos in like 3 months.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Street Fight is really all about long-form storytelling and deep lore.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It looks like that Patreon post isn't even up anymore. I didn't finish Hedo Brett cause the pacing wasn't my favorite, and I never feel too bad about being like "Welp, this wasn't my favorite ep" on any of my podcasts. What were people mad about?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think Fast Food Hustle from May 2nd was the recent call-in show with the exterminator, that one was an all-timer. Also 4-21-22 basement show Working on Easter for a Bag of Chips was pretty good. If you have access to the Patreon then the entire I'm Sorry series was incredible, I'm trying to pick out a favorite but honestly I can't, just choose one or two based on if you know the host and/or the apologizers. Also, if you would like to risk feeling your soul escape your body then listening to the most recent Holy Boyz on Ed Young could be your final act.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I have lost track of how many times I've masturbated, but it's more than 100 times.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He sounded pretty manic on the call-in show, I felt a lil uncomfortable about it tbh.

e: holy poo poo his Twitter is hard to look at rn

Kenning fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 12, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, I always get sketched out when someone is talking about the divinity within everyone when that wasn't previously part of their speech patterns. Hope things get worked out : /

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

mark immune posted:

hearing a mentally ill guy talk about the power of hare krishna and dance to stop cops is pretty grim. calling bryan a defeatist cop is pretty lol. anarchocomedy ftl

:(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's too bad. I think Bryan's gonna do alright, he's built quite a network of guest hosts who he's worked with on all sorts of stuff, I suspect the show will be able to survive some rearranging. I hope Brett is able to find a solid next thing, it seems like he's been under a lot of emotional and social pressure for quite a while.

Jabronie posted:

We all like to think we can be harmonious with eachother until one of us is a polygamous and the other is a never nude

lmao

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bryan has definitely loosened the content a bit, but last week's Wednesday show with the Srsly Wrong podcast guys was an excellent and very serious conversation about anarchist politics and ways of imagining the future. The call-in show is still basically the same overall vibe it's been the last couple years too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The break-up and the month or two leading up to it were a bummer, but I've gotta say Bryan has been releasing some really good shows, both on the free feed and the Patreon.

bartok posted:

I forgot what a disgusting vile person Tom Leykis is inside and out. It was a hilarious episode but also a very uncomfortable listen especially that clip with the caller complaining about his wife wanting him to leave his band. I think at one point he talks about knocking some sense into his wife. I wish I could go back to the days when I thought Leykis was a character James Adomian created for Comedy Bang! Bang!.

Can't wait for the Bob & Tom episode next week and I'm glad the special guest is going to be Mike Hale.

The Tom Leykis show had so much horrible audio in it it was almost more than I can handle. What a loving monster. Jesse Farrar seemed so defeated by the end of it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just call in and be cool and funny and you could be the next Bear.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I was never able to sit through the entirety of a Weed Waffles call, I'd listen to a few seconds then skip forward, then listen a bit, etc. Always astonished by how long he was able to go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

lmao

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think that "Who Da' Baby Daddy" is probably the worst audio Bryan has played all year.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It sucks, there was a call-in show in late 2018 where it was clear that they were really enjoying working together as a team, and the audience was digging the vibe, and it remains one of my favorite episodes of any podcast. It really feels like one of those cases where the intense stress of the pandemic and its attendant political and social problems just ended up squeezing some people too hard and their ways of keeping themselves together broke down. Just a huge bummer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He did an I'm Sorry episode on the Patreon feed that was funny and sounded good, it was his first podcast back from vacation I think. His Patreon is up to around $8k/mo, whereas Street Fight was $11k/mo before the brand split, so he's not in bad shape overall. Looking forward to hearing his new shows and getting a sense for what he's gonna do.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gotta say, first episode of Guys was incredibly funny.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

From the Minion Death Cult group on Facebook:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Chakan posted:

Getting caught up on stuff while I take care of busy work and I'm right at the end of the Guys episode about Erowid. The part where Bryan says "The official stance of Guys, a podcast about guys, is that huffing Glade fixes your pink eye" and you can hear Jesse and Chris saying "no, you can't say that. I don't endorse that" over him. So good.

This post made me finally get my wife to listen to Guys and she was dying during Erowid Guys. Sex Guys has also been great, and I can't wait to listen to Sales Guys with her too. Guys: Not Just A Podcast For Guys.

I can't believe David the Shark is real.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Listening to the South Park Guys episode and having flashbacks to high school when kids would talk about South Park characters like they were real people with real lives and being weirded out about it. It only happened with South Park, people didn't talk about Goku like that or whatever.

e: loving South Park apologia like a bunch of medieval Irish monks writing an exegesis on the Sermon on the Mount.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 14, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I feel like we should start a new thread for Guys: A Podcast About Guys. The bit on the Patreon where the cop was live reviewing a Supercuts in the parking lot at 8 pm was golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I made a thread for Guys, so let's post over there about Guys.