Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Peel posted:

it's not like he's going to have positions distinct from the generic democrats he's running against so why would you vote for him over someone who actually knows how the political system works

it sounds like he supports legalizing pot.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

https://www.thoughtco.com/members-of-congress-supported-by-facebook-3367615

quote:

Zuckerberg's large donation to Democrats and his criticism of Trump have led some to the conclusion that the Facebook CEO is a Democrat. But Zuckerberg did not contribute to anyone in the 2016 congressional or presidential races, not even Democrat Hillary Clinton.

quote:

Sean Eldridge: Zuckerberg contributed the maximum $5,200 to the Republican U.S. House candidate’s campaign committee in 2013. Eldridge is husband of Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes, according to the National Journal.

Orrin G. Hatch: Zuckerberg contributed the maximum $5,200 to the Republican U.S. senator from Utah’s campaign committee in 2013.

Marco Rubio: Zuckerberg contributed the maximum $5,200 to the Republican U.S. senator from Florida’s campaign committee in 2013.

Paul D. Ryan: Zuckerberg contributed $2,600 to the failed 2012 Republican vice presidential nominee and U.S. House member in 2014.

Charles E. Schumer: Zuckerberg contributed the maximum $5,200 to the Democratic U.S. senator from New York’s campaign committee in 2013.

Cory Booker: Zuckerberg also contributed $7,800 in 2013 to the prominent member of the Democratic Party and U.S. senator who is widely believed to be a leading candidate for president as soon as 2020. But Zuckerberg sought and received a full refund for unexplained reasons.

quote:

The Facebook PAC raised nearly $350,000 in the 2012 election cycle. It spent $277,675 supporting federal candidates; Facebook spent more on Republicans ($144,000) than it did on Democrats ($125,000).

In the 2016 elections, Facebook PAC spent $517,000 supporting federal candidates. In all, 56 percent went to Republicans and 44 percent went to Democrats.

I'm thinking independent run if he runs. He's donated to too many Republicans to survive waltzing in to a Democratic primary potentially full of names like Sanders, Warren, or Biden. (Or even a Hillary, "Miss me yet?" 2020 attempt) He fails both the leftist and centrist purity tests. He can't win a Republican primary when basically his only solid political position is disagreeing with Trump on immigration.

But he will win if he runs as an independent. Especially if he really wants to legalize it.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 11:43 on Jun 27, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

The only impediment to him winning as an independent is deciding not to run. This isn't because he is in any way good or anything. (Besides wanting to legalize it, which makes him objectively superior to the Democratic party) Any seen by the media as credible candidate with enough funding to run an independent national campaign organization who tells the parties to gently caress off is going to win as long as their vision isn't a centrism that molds the worst of both worlds*. The voters want change. They tried the D version. They are trying the R version. They hate both. Give them a credible "I" and they will try it.

This is the same reason Bernie has a shot. The country isn't ideologically left, but we will try anybody other than the current status quo right now because nearly everybody agrees it's all a giant cesspool of suck.

*Not loving Bloomberg

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 07:54 on Jun 28, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm guessing that the country won't have a good reaction when they try the (I) and find out its a warmed over combination of the worst parts of what both the (D)'s and (R)'s are selling.

Someone like Zuck isn't going to be as bad as the worst parts of the Rs. When you pile on the social conservatism you are objectively worse. If he's the worst part of the Ds plus legal pot, then at least we have legal pot. I'm not sure on that though, because he hasn't actually said that as far as I can tell. He just said marijuana enforcement is racist. He could mean "Arrest more white potheads."

e: Actually now that I think of it I don't think Zuck can win. Country won't be able to imagine him as CINC of the military. Someone like Trump can exploit that.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Jun 29, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I definitely had less than zero conception of the possibility that Trump could win. But not for that reason, no. He's a loud aggressive reckless douchebag, it's easy to imagine a President like that.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

lol in no scenario does the US look at zuck, after four years of tromp insanity, and say "there's no way this guy could be the CIC of the military! he wouldn't even threaten our closest foreign allies with nuclear annihilation because of the imaginary enemies and perceived slights that haunt his psyche every waking moment"

I'm not saying he'd be a good choice, or particularly effective, but I have strong doubts about your specific assertion

He's a 5′ 7″ nerd.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — Mark Zuckerberg is talking up universal basic income — the guaranteed distribution of cash stipends to cover basic expenses — as a possible new safety net as technology automates more jobs, putting more people out of work.

In a Facebook post about a trip this week to Alaska with wife Priscilla Chan, the Facebook CEO praised the state's Permanent Fund, which pools the state's oil revenue and pays out cash dividends to eligible Alaskans. In 2016, that dividend was $1,022.

"This is a novel approach to basic income in a few ways. First, it's funded by natural resources rather than raising taxes. Second, it comes from conservative principles of smaller government, rather than progressive principles of a larger safety net. This shows basic income is a bipartisan idea," Zuckerberg wrote

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/07/05/mark-zuckerberg-praises-universal-basic-income-on-alaska-trip/103447704/