Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What good timing!

We're going through my grandma's house and found this just now. Well, my family did, I'm not there at the moment, so I can't get a better picture:

From a bit of research it looks like a 1772 Carolus III 1/2 reale piece (the R)

I'm confused at what I'm thinking is the mint mark, though, G P, since this site http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=2334 says that G is Guatemala and P is Colombia

Any comments or evaluation welcome, looks like it's maybe $30-50 on ebay. Very cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks for that!

This is an album of the coin collection we found, mostly belonging to my great-great grandfather. No need to ID everything, I can look up stuff on ebay fine myself :) Just posting for interest and if there's anything in particular that jumps out:

http://imgur.com/a/ZZeWS

the 'crown jewel'

very pretty Morgan (pics don't do it justice)

These I could use some help with, if anyone can ID:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Huh, cool. They're some neat family history even if they're not real, and I wasn't expecting big ticket going by the rest of the collection (the gold piece excepted)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Finishing up the small pile we found in my grandma's attic, and these two came up with a question. They're both in very nice shape (check out that copper color!)(click for huge):

The date fonts being different struck me immediately, though. There's also small differences in the front image, and the curve of the text on the reverse - particularly around the 'OF', or the last 'A' in America. 'Half Cent' is not quite aligned flat, but that's consistent on both of them.

Is one a potential counterfeit, or just 1830s printing irregularities?

This is also pretty neat:

That's an 1856 Campaign token from the first ever Republican presidential candidate, who lost to Buchanan. Was a popular western explorer. Jessie was his wife, who was very well known herself apparently. I can't find this exact picture on ebay--might be worth a few hundred? A decent amount of these tokens from the 1800s are.

• Locked thread