Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I sit around with my guitar noodling away until something sounds cool. Then I play that over and over and try to develop the idea. Then I try and figure out how lyrics might fit in. Then I try and think of the words to sing along to the piece I've written.

I'm in the middle of a song-writing bender and it's been a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

I have spring break off (HS teacher), and I'm planning on recording and polishing a few songs I've had in the works now for over a year. I'll aim for 4 songs out of the 10 or so candidates I have. I will be trying Reaper after years of working with Audacity. I really enjoy using the software as an instrument. Recording my acoustic guitar and vocal track, and then overlaying other sounds and tracks I think might help out the original idea/vibe. So far each of my recording sessions has resulted in very different types of music. It's exciting not knowing how things will wind up sounding until the end. Go with the flow, and all that.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

Really cool. That's exactly the kind of thing I meant by using the studio software as an instrument.

Sometimes after I've added a few tracks, I mute my original acoustic guitar track, and often find a wonderfully sparse arrangement hiding underneath.

• Locked thread