Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm a noodler, so I'll just sit for ages and little riffs present themselves to me over time. This means I have about 50 great motifs and no songs.
The song itch gets scratched with my band though. With those guys I tend to be putting guitar to songs and the first thing I tend to do is flick through my pedal board while they play just to see if something pops out as a cool texture. After that it's a case of just playing and playing until we're happy. Some of my fondest memories are doing this, but just me and the singer at his kitchen table with acoustics, just playing all night.

So I guess for me it's playing and playing until it's right and using the interaction of the other band members to play of, give each other room and let the whole thing breathe. Parameters like that can be very useful I find.

I love the timer idea too, I will try that and it may help me solidify my noodles into proper songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread