Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Hey guys. I wanted to compare my creative process when writing music with others and thought it might be a good discussion for this here little forum of ours.

So how do you guys go about writing your stuff? When inspiration doesn't quite come to you at will, do you have your own way of kickstarting your creativity? Care to share some of your tips and techniques?

What I do normally is, I set a timer for ten minutes and give myself a specific task to work on during this time. Whatever comes out at the end of these ten minutes, I got it there. I can either work at it or leave it as it is and move on. I've found this to greatly enhance my ability to just get stuff done and not awaken my inner critic too early. Giving myself a short time like this leaves me with no time to be thinking critically about my work and I can allow myself to be mediocre for the time being. It's a great advice I'd heard someplace.

For example, I could give myself ten minutes to figure out the structure of the song. Ten minutes for just the chords. Maybe even ten minutes for just the chords for the verse. I find myself getting much, much more in those ten minutes that I would have had done in two hours just sitting there and thinking with no pressure.

I'd love to hear how you guys go about writing your stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread